Youth Marine has military style funeral in NYC

Started by dogboy, June 14, 2012, 11:00:14 PM

Flying Pig

Very sad.  At 25yrs old I wonder why he was still a "cadet"and hadnt taken the opportunity to get out of dodge?  Regardless, one more senseless death by a cowards in a drive by shooting. 

COL Land

Having studied many of these independent "shade-tree" (hometown, no national affiliation, although many with decades of serving youth) programs, and understanding USAC's lineage traces back to NYC, I can tell you that there have been dozens and dozens of Cadet programs in NYC over the years.   

Some are great programs, doing great things for a very difficult demographic.  Others are the independent junior militias of (...wait for it...wait for it...) "wannabees" who have never served, or were junior enlisted for a short period of time, yet like the bling and the trappings associated with the military uniform, and especially the officers' uniform.  There are an inordinate number of Colonels and General Officers (most in charge of no more than 20 Cadets) all throughout NYC.   Some truly look like "third world dictators," such as this one.  I've seen two of these "Cadet Programs" who are nothing more than a paid ceremonial guard program (keeping the "commander" with money is his pocket) and used for "Sweet 16" events for young ladies in the community. 

Oddly, despite the gung-ho and patriotic nature of these programs, there is often a very overt message that the Cadets should NOT join the active duty military upon coming of age.  Rather, they are encouraged to stay in the neighborhood to "fight our own war,".   Equally odd, many of them use C/ in front of their "rank' to show that they are not active duty personnel. 

Nearly 75% of America's young people are disqualified from any possibility of military service.  Many of that 75% are ineligible due to "moral" (legal) issues, use of drugs, obesity and - frankly - being too stupid to hand a weapon to.  Sadly, many of the members of these Cadet programs are ineligible due to the family cycle of drugs, illegal activity and poor parenting.  I've had some who desperately want to serve...to get away from their neighborhood...hoping to make something of themselves, especially as they've watched others in the neighborhood go off to serve and return as "hometown heroes.." 

I don't know anything specific about the young man above who needlessly lost his life due to the cowardice acts of others.  I will say that he was likely a cut above - at least in my book - if he wore a uniform in honor of those who serve our country.   RIP
JOSEPH M. LAND, SR.
COL, AG, USAC       
Acting Commander              www.goarmycadets.com
Headquarters, U.S. Army Cadet Corps

"ADVENTURE BEGINS HERE!"

CAP4117

Agreed, this is a very sad story, not unlike ones I constantly hear about in my own city.

Interestingly, I noticed on another site linked to the one the OP provided that this organization charges $50/month to be a member  :o

fyrfitrmedic

One of our neighboring squadrons at one point shared a church basement with a similar "Marine cadet" group, that turned out to be neither. IIRC they had all kinds of headaches from the "commander" trying to get him kicked out before he and his mother were arrested for criminal activity related to their "cadet" program.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

The CyBorg is destroyed

First of all, anyone who commits a drive-by is a coward of the worst order and I feel terribly for this young man and his loved ones.

I'm taking it that this young man was not a member of the Young Marines?

As sensitive as the USMC are to anyone other than who they sanction (Young Marines, USNSCC, USMCJROTC) wearing their uniform and symbology, I am surprised that the Corps have not intervened in some of these self-styled "Marine cadet" units (the ones they've heard about, anyway) to tell them to cease and desist from wearing their uniform and associated blingage.

Even Major General Robert L. Wolf, NYNM, commander of the New York Naval Militia and a retired USMC Lieutenant Colonel, had to replace the EGA on his uniform with New York insignia:

This is a legitimate, constitutionally-raised State Defence Force, not a local "neighbourhood cadet unit," so my question is why, if nothing else, the Young Marines haven't got to them to join up?
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

lordmonar

He was not a member of the YOUNG MARINES....but he was a member of the Harlem Youth Marines, Inc.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

dogboy

According to The Harlem Youth Marines, Inc. website, they are authorized to use the Marine Corps emblem

On April 1, 1993 General Carl E. Mundy Jr., then Commandant of the United States Marine Corps issued the following order: "The Harlem Youth Marines are here after officially Recognized and Authorized to wear the Name and Emblem of the United States Marine Corps."

http://www.harlemmarines.org/Pages/aboutus.aspx

dogboy

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 15, 2012, 01:30:27 AM
Very sad.  At 25yrs old I wonder why he was still a "cadet"and hadnt taken the opportunity to get out of dodge?  Regardless, one more senseless death by a cowards in a drive by shooting.

Apparently, he was no longer a cadet but rather an adult member,

Services for Ackeem Greene, First Sargeant, Harlem Youth Marine Corps, will be held  Thursday, June 14 here at Memorial. Viewing

http://www.mbcvisionharlem.org/ackeem_green_services_54.html

a2capt

I'm sorry, but .. $50/mo?

Someone start a CAP unit in Harlem.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on June 16, 2012, 04:30:02 AM
I'm sorry, but .. $50/mo?

Someone start a CAP unit in Harlem.

Maybe that's the problem.

This is the best they have, and I don't think once a week will cut it for some of these kids.

As far as activities / day care / anti-drug / anti-gang go, $50 /  Month isn't high.

Major Lord

I think its a shame that they would exploit this young man's death to attempt to subvert the Constitution's second Amendment even more than the City of New York has done so already. This Constitution, represented by the Uniform of the United States Marine Corp, a group in which every man amongst them has sworn a holy, sacred, and blood oath to protect and defend. To quote Rob Roy, "Its not the we'un that needs killing". If you want to stop the drive-by shootings in New York, Uncle Sam's Misguided Children could put these cowardly gang-bangers into Guantanamo East faster than you could say " allahu ackbar".....but the gang-bangers have the Constitution in place and politicians who love them, to prevent that from happening. It seems New York ( which would not sign the Declaration of Independence, or ratify the Constitution  until they were dragged into it by their citizens, a day late and a dollar short) is a city that could use an enema.

When I stand around Travis AFB in Uniform, I will try to think of this young man who had the guts to wear a Uniform ( even if in the past, for an organization of unknown etiology) in Harlem, a place marginally more dangerous to fly the U.S. Colors than Islamabad. Go with God...... Marine.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

JayT

Quote from: Major Lord on June 16, 2012, 04:55:06 PM

When I stand around Travis AFB in Uniform, I will try to think of this young man who had the guts to wear a Uniform ( even if in the past, for an organization of unknown etiology) in Harlem, a place marginally more dangerous to fly the U.S. Colors than Islamabad. Go with God...... Marine.

Major Lord

I've worn a uniform in Harlem. It's not as bad as it used to be. Neither is Brownsville, East New York, South Jamaica, etc etc etc.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Flying Pig

Major Lord
Not to spit hairs, but he wasnt a Marine.

Major Lord

Quote from: Flying Pig on June 22, 2012, 04:07:01 PM

Major Lord
Not to spit hairs, but he wasnt a Marine.

That's why I used the ellipses predicating the word "Marine". 

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."