When do promotions take effect?

Started by SergeantElbow, October 02, 2009, 03:52:44 PM

NC Hokie

I'll throw out my $0.02 worth...

In my squadron, cadet promotions are effective the day they complete the requirements for their achievement so that there is no additional delay in becoming eligible for their next promotion.  They are pinned the next time they attend a meeting in uniform, as I refuse to promote a cadet that is absent or in civilian clothes.

The old practice was to pin at the end of that meeting, but everything felt a bit rushed about trying to 1) grade tests before the end of the meeting and 2) fit a promotion ceremony into the closing formation.  A nice side-effect of the current procedure is that it allows the cadet to invite family and other guests to witness (and assist with) their promotion.
NC Hokie, Lt Col, CAP

Graduated Squadron Commander
All Around Good Guy

Майор Хаткевич

Congratulations on your second stripe!

I still remember those days, and I loved it!

As for promotion dates, it SHOULD be the day it was decided you are eligible, even if ceremony is later. That way the next one comes up at the same time and if the ceremony is delayed the same amount, you wear it for two months anyway. But I wouldn't focus on promoting on the dot every 60 days.

It took me 8 months to be a SSgt, around 3 years to be a 2d Lt, another year for Captain. Don't rush it, get all you can out of it!

I've done 6 years with CAP as a cadet, active for just around 5 of those years until college stole my soul.

C/MSgt Lunsford

Quote from: AirmanElbow on October 02, 2009, 03:52:44 PM
I am getting promoted to A1C next week.  I appeared before promotions board and the board agreed to promote me 2 weeks ago.  Can I call myself an A1C before the official ceremony? Or do I have to wait until then?
Thanks!
Congrats. I have a promotion to C/SrA Next Month. :D

Wright Brothers #13915

MIKE

Mike Johnston

C/MSgt Lunsford

Wright Brothers #13915