What is a Cadet Squad Leader?

Started by Capt Rivera, August 07, 2008, 07:19:52 PM

Pumbaa

Godwin's Law is Godwin's Law... it's like the law of gravity....

ol'fido

Let me show my ignorance here: What is Godwin's Law?
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

MIKE

Mike Johnston

stratoflyer

"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

Capt Rivera

really tired of opening this thread for no apparent reason.... please be on topic or don't post...
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

stratoflyer

I thought the issue on cadet squad leader was solved. It's typical to drift around here. It's natural.

Eternal september.
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

majdomke

Quote from: NavLT on September 12, 2008, 02:18:41 PM
20-1 was written back in the old US Army Air Corps days when they were.....squad leaders.
AF changed to Element leaders (back before the got rid of SGT and added SRA) and nobody changed the reg.
I would disagree with this statement. I was AD AF in the mid 80's and we had squad leaders and both SrA and buck Sgts.

lordmonar

Quote from: captdomke on December 29, 2011, 06:46:51 PM
Quote from: NavLT on September 12, 2008, 02:18:41 PM
20-1 was written back in the old US Army Air Corps days when they were.....squad leaders.
AF changed to Element leaders (back before the got rid of SGT and added SRA) and nobody changed the reg.
I would disagree with this statement. I was AD AF in the mid 80's and we had squad leaders and both SrA and buck Sgts.
That may be what you called them....but that's not what the regulation AFR 50-14 called it.

BTW....nice thread resurrection!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

majdomke

About the only time it was ever called anything was for drill... in boot camp and tech school we formed up in squads with squad leaders. I was a squad leader. I would certainly hope the TI's were following regs. Since I can't find a copy of 50-14 or any info on when it was written and retired, I'm left in confusion why I was told wrong. Apart from what our leaders told us, regs weren't exactly easy to find and look-up yourself back then. With everything online nowadays it certainly makes it easier.

I resurrected it because I myself was confused about "Squad Leader" vs. "Element Leader" because our own pubs contradict themselves. Makes no difference to me, just wanted clarity as I like to always be in the know when it comes to regs. Hard to lead our cadets if we ourselves don't follow the regs or make sure what we're doing is right.

lordmonar

Nope...they did not.

I joined up in '86 and they were called squad leaders....but when I was in AFJROTC in 83-84 and AFROTC 84-85 and in CAP from 85-86 the drill manual called them element leaders.

The TI's also used "by my command" in a way not spelled out by the regulation.
The also used "guide right/left" instead of "incline to the right/left".

When I was at tech school we did all sorts of things that were not in any of the regs.

majdomke

Sounds like you and I were in around the same timeframe. I was in CAP '80-86 and went active duty in '86 with several tech schools in '87.

Sapper168

So are there any special insignia, or uniform items that could be worn by an element or 'squad' leader to show that position? :o >:D >:D :angel: :angel: ;)

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

majdomke

From looking back at the pics... squad leaders had a squad leader nameplate in boot and then yellow or red shoulder cords in tech school

lordmonar

Quote from: Ground_Pounder on December 30, 2011, 01:34:56 AM
So are there any special insignia, or uniform items that could be worn by an element or 'squad' leader to show that position? :o >:D >:D :angel: :angel: ;)
Actually there was a special insignia for Dorm Chief....they wore a name plate that said dorm chief.

In tech school the student leaders wore rope....green, yellow and red.

MIKE

For CAP, there used to be position insignia BITD.  I have seen pics from an old manual.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

Quote from: MIKE on December 30, 2011, 04:30:44 AM

For CAP, there used to be position insignia BITD.  I have seen pics from an old manual.

I used to have one. What a PITA! The pins were VERY fragile, and didn't want to go through anything heavier than toilet paper with any ease.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Sapper168

Yep.... ::) see what i did there.....  :o>:D  ;)
Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

ol'fido

Quote from: lordmonar on December 30, 2011, 03:48:54 AM
Actually there was a special insignia for Dorm Chief....they wore a name plate that said dorm chief.

In tech school the student leaders wore rope....green, yellow and red.
They did this when I went to the Corrections Academy. Different positions had different color cords. They were collectively known as "Dope on a Rope".
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006