What is a Cadet Squad Leader?

Started by Capt Rivera, August 07, 2008, 07:19:52 PM

Capt Rivera

QuoteCAPR 20-1 (E) 47
Cadet Squad Leader
Responsible for the supervision and training of the cadet squad, to include:
Satisfactory performance during formations and ceremonies.
Military bearing.
Morale.
The cadet squad leaders should be familiar with CAP directives as listed in CAPP 52-14.

On page 23, the cadet organization chart shows the following: --- Flight Commander---flight Sgt----squad leader

Wouldn't this be a element leader?
Where are the element leaders in that portion of the chart?
When would there be a difference in a flight Sgt and squad leader?
How many squads are in a flight?
What comprises a squad (individuals)?
etc?   Spacing - MIKE
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

jimmydeanno

Squad Leader is the old term for Element Leader.

All criteria of an element apply to a squad in terms of number of cadets, how many comprise a flight, etc.

Flight Sergeant and Element leader are two different positions, there is a difference between the two.  For clarification see CAPP 52-15: Cadet Staff Guide
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Capt Rivera

Quote from: jimmydeanno on August 07, 2008, 07:29:34 PM
Squad Leader is the old term for Element Leader.

All criteria of an element apply to a squad in terms of number of cadets, how many comprise a flight, etc.

Flight Sergeant and Element leader are two different positions, there is a difference between the two.  For clarification see CAPP 52-15: Cadet Staff Guide

Thanks... I do know the difference between a Flight Sergeant and Element Leader... You said "old term", so does that mean it would be safe/legal other wise to use todays terminology of element leader on our Cadet Org chart, or do I need to wait until the reg is changed ::)?
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

jimmydeanno

I would consider it "safe" to use the "new term" in your org chart.  The last update was in 2000, but it was most likely written by someone who has never been to a CAP meeting or read AFM 36-2203 and left the old term in there when updating.

The CAPP 52-15 was written last year by someone who was a Spaatz Cadet, former Squadron Commander and former Region DCP.  Since it takes national board approval to change regulations, the pamphlet was written instead.  ;)

I'd use that for your cadet organizational structure instead of the regulation.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

lordmonar

Sure it's safe......it's not like someone will come and arrest you or take away your birthday if you call your element leaders (the proper term), squad leaders (the wrong term but is still in the reg).

Heck....no one will gripe if you call them team leaders, troop leaders, stick leaders, guys up fromt, or any other term.

Following the regulations is a good habbit....but don't be a regs robot.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Capt Rivera

Quote from: lordmonar on August 07, 2008, 07:43:17 PM
Sure it's safe......it's not like someone will come and arrest you or take away your birthday if you call your element leaders (the proper term), squad leaders (the wrong term but is still in the reg).

Heck....no one will gripe if you call them team leaders, troop leaders, stick leaders, guys up fromt, or any other term.

HAHA ;D Far from it... Just wanted someone to blame it on if anyone asked  ;)
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander

lordmonar

Quote from: RiveraJ on August 07, 2008, 07:54:48 PM

HAHA ;D Far from it... Just wanted someone to blame it on if anyone asked  ;)

Oh....in that case my name is Darrin Ninness....CAP.  ;D
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Dad2-4

NavLT

20-1 was written back in the old US Army Air Corps days when they were.....squad leaders.

AF changed to Element leaders (back before the got rid of SGT and added SRA) and nobody changed the reg.

The Leadership mannual uses element leaders but.....CAP says regs trump Manuals.

Makes you wonder about how often we update and review our rules.....

V/R
LT J.

stratoflyer

I think the pamphlet would be the safest bet. That's what I'm using.

On separate note, who would take away your birthday?  >:D
"To infinity, and beyond!"

Eduardo Rodriguez, 2LT, CAP

SarDragon

Quote from: NavLT on September 12, 2008, 02:18:41 PM
20-1 was written back in the old US Army Air Corps days when they were.....squad leaders.

AF changed to Element leaders (back before the got rid of SGT and added SRA) and nobody changed the reg.

The Leadership mannual uses element leaders but.....CAP says regs trump Manuals.

Makes you wonder about how often we update and review our rules.....

V/R
LT J.

Where does it say that? Both are regulatory in nature.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flyerthom

Quote from: stratoflyer on September 12, 2008, 06:24:02 PM
I think the pamphlet would be the safest bet. That's what I'm using.

The IRS, given the chance...
TC

flyguy06

LOL I totally agree ;D

JoeTomasone

Quote from: stratoflyer on September 12, 2008, 06:24:02 PM

Let me know, I'd gladly do without a few.   ;D

ol'fido

Well, you can use Element Leader for your organizational chart. But if you say you were Element Leader at encampment on a resume, it's kind of like getting Miss Congeniality.  ;)

I would also like to propose that instead of Wings, Groups, Squadrons, and Flights that we change to Geschwadder, Gruppen, Staffeln, and Schwarms. Any body remember what is German for element? :D

Hals und beinbrech,
Olefido
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

hatentx

The Jewish in me is now worried.  German names, Hitler's Youth.....  Not again.

MIKE

Mike Johnston

ol'fido

Hence the smiley faces and winky faces and German terminology has nothing to do with Hitler.  Hals und beinbrech is an term of good luck that WW2 Luftwaffe pilots used. It means "break you leg and your neck!". I was trying to recall some very brave airmen regardless of the flag they flew under. So don't hand me that Hitler Youth stuff!
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

hatentx

SarDragon

His was easily interpreted that way; yours wasn't.  :o
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret