Cadet Advisory Council Question

Started by Capmonkey, February 21, 2019, 02:50:34 PM

Capmonkey

Hey, y'all.
     I have a question about CAC. It's kinda funny, considering I'm the Chairman of a CAC, and I should know this, but a disagreement between me and my advisor arose. I've reg checked and haven't found a solid answer, but the bylaws for my CAC clearly state it. If a representative is elected Recorder, are they able to still function as their Wing's primary representative? Through my time in CAC, it's always been this way (the recorder can serve as the representative), but the advisor is saying that whoever is elected Recorder is not able to serve as the primary. I couldn't find anything specifically about it in 60-1 or CAPP 52-19, so I'd just like your opinion. Thanks.

V/R,
C/Lt Col Capmonkey

TheSkyHornet

Assuming that you're talking about Wing CAC...

B.L.U.F. --- It's not prohibited.

Let's start off being clear on regulations versus guidance:
Regs (R60-1) are mandatory.
Guidance (P52-19, in lieu of the yet-to-be published P60-34) is optional, as P52-19 states in the preface

QuoteThis guide is an optional resource for Cadet Advisory Council (CAC) representatives and their senior member advisors.

Without looking at P52-19, now that we know it's only guidance and not the standard:

R60-1 states that the CAC will have a cadet chair and a vice chair and/or recorder.

While it doesn't say that these are different individual, that can be reasonably implied as they are two distinctly identified position. My interpretation would be that I need two persons: a chair, and a vice chair. The vice chair role can be excluded and a recorder installed; or the vice chair role can be included and a recorder added as well (3 officers).

R60-1 states that double-service is discouraged, not prohibited.

The wing chair should not also be the region representative. That's a should, not a shall.

Keep this in mind:
Your CAC Advisor serves under the Wing Commander (and, depending on Wing structure, Vice Commander/Chief of Staff and Director of Cadet Programs). The Wing Commander (or delegate) can decide not to permit optional practices and may elect to say "No, we're not doing that."

Capmonkey

Understood. I was speaking on a Region CAC, but didn't specify that. Thanks for all the help!

lordmonar

I know that National Cadet Programs wants to get as many people involved in CAC as possible.

I remember a conversation that they were going to put in language in one of the publications that strongly suggest that no one on the lower levels serves as reps on an the upper levels.

I don't remember where I read that or even if it got published.  It may be in the forth coming P60-34.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jeders

That language is currently in 60-1. However, as SkyHornet pointed out above, the practice is not forbidden, just discouraged.

As a group CPO, I'm actually having the opposite problem where I've got a separate wing CAC rep appointed, but wing wants the group chair to be the rep.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Capmonkey

I agree. Even though it isn't encouraged, it still happens. Coming from a Chairman perspective, it's easier if reps on a region level are their Wing CAC chairs, because it makes the dissemination of information easier (and for the reports), but it's also more stressful for them. It's a dual-edged sword.