Using AFAM profiles for an instrument ticket

Started by Jasta13, November 19, 2023, 10:51:41 PM

Jasta13

Does anyone know if members are expressly allowed or prohibited from using an AFAM profile to build the needed time plus approaches for an instrument rating?  I can't find it stated either way in the regs but perhaps I am not looking in the right place.  I am aware of C25 and that it uses language indicating its purpose is for additional ratings - among others. 

I am also clear that there are instrument proficiency profiles available or content around instrument proficiency in profile 4, however those seem to indicate use by IFR rated pilots and not rating seekers.

Appreciate the help.

etodd

I got my IFR rating via C25, self pay sorties. Airplane half price of what the FBO rents one for, and free CAP CFI. Its cheap, and all the hours on the plane make your squadron look good in the numbers each month. Win-win. Go for it.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

coudano

Quote from: Jasta13 on November 19, 2023, 10:51:41 PMDoes anyone know if members are expressly allowed or prohibited from using an AFAM profile to build the needed time plus approaches for an instrument rating?  I can't find it stated either way in the regs but perhaps I am not looking in the right place.  I am aware of C25 and that it uses language indicating its purpose is for additional ratings - among others.

Flight clinic is AFAM.
I would log it.

O-Ride Relo and Mission Transport are usually cross country and are on an AFAM.
I would log it.

QuoteProfile #7 – Basic Aircraft Proficiency Mission Profile Prerequisites This profile may be flown by any qualified CAP VFR pilot.

Training Block 3 Instrument Procedures At a minimum, there must be a safety pilot onboard for this block.
Flight by reference to Instruments
 • Navigation
 • Fly as many of the following approaches as time allows:
 o ILS approach
 o VOR approach
 o GPS approach

I would log it.

Jasta13

Quote from: etodd on November 20, 2023, 01:30:24 AMI got my IFR rating via C25, self pay sorties. Airplane half price of what the FBO rents one for, and free CAP CFI. Its cheap, and all the hours on the plane make your squadron look good in the numbers each month. Win-win. Go for it.

I agree and I did the same.  However it seems some others are apparently using non-training profiles for this explicit purpose.  I am just not sure if its proper.

Thanks!

Jasta13

Quote from: coudano on November 20, 2023, 04:44:10 AM
Quote from: Jasta13 on November 19, 2023, 10:51:41 PMDoes anyone know if members are expressly allowed or prohibited from using an AFAM profile to build the needed time plus approaches for an instrument rating?  I can't find it stated either way in the regs but perhaps I am not looking in the right place.  I am aware of C25 and that it uses language indicating its purpose is for additional ratings - among others.

Flight clinic is AFAM.
I would log it.

O-Ride Relo and Mission Transport are usually cross country and are on an AFAM.
I would log it.

QuoteProfile #7 – Basic Aircraft Proficiency Mission Profile Prerequisites This profile may be flown by any qualified CAP VFR pilot.

Training Block 3 Instrument Procedures At a minimum, there must be a safety pilot onboard for this block.
Flight by reference to Instruments
 • Navigation
 • Fly as many of the following approaches as time allows:
 o ILS approach
 o VOR approach
 o GPS approach

I would log it.

I understand.  What has come to my attention is that we have proficiency profiles being used for additional ratings.  The use of proficiency profiles to maintain rated skills is understood, as its the obvious purpose, however using them for additional ratings does not seem to be expressly condoned or otherwise.  The C25 sortie is posit about being used for additional ratings, whereas I don't see that language anywhere else.

Appreciate any guidance.

jeders

Quote from: Jasta13 on November 20, 2023, 04:39:31 PMI understand.  What has come to my attention is that we have proficiency profiles being used for additional ratings.  The use of proficiency profiles to maintain rated skills is understood, as its the obvious purpose, however using them for additional ratings does not seem to be expressly condoned or otherwise.  The C25 sortie is posit about being used for additional ratings, whereas I don't see that language anywhere else.

Appreciate any guidance.

I don't understand; are the AFAM profiles being flown according to the applicable standard? I they aren't, then that is the issue that needs to be addresses. If they are and pilots are simply able to execute additional training in order to upgrade ratings, then that's fine. The Air Force wants us to use training dollars in a manner which accomplishes the greatest amount of training possible, including conducting concurrent training.

So if the pilot is able to work on additional ratings while meeting the requirements of the standard, then all the better.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

coudano

I'm just bummed that the NDB and PAR approaches aren't authorized for profile 7 :)