FAA approves replacing a pilot’s flight bag with the Surface Pro 3

Started by Brad, September 28, 2014, 04:39:32 PM

Brad

In a follow-up to the Electronic Flight Bag topic, I give you this:

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2014/09/26/faa-approves-replacing-pilots-flight-bag-with-surface-pro-3/

QuoteAlmost one year ago, Delta gave the go-ahead for its pilots' flight bags to be replaced by the Surface Pro 2, essentially turning the tablet into an Electronic Flight Bag (EFB). Fast-forward to today, and the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and its European counterpart, the European Aviation Safety Agency (EASA), have given the go-ahead for the Surface Pro 3 to replace pilots' flight bags, Microsoft announced....
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

Well, that's great for the 12 guys who bought one of those.

Maybe they will approve Windows Mobile, too., and bring the total to around 20...

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

PHall

Quote from: Capt Hatkevich on September 28, 2014, 10:35:13 PM
Wouldn't the airline buy these?

No. The airline will provide what is required by the FAA. Everything else is optional and comes out of the pilot's pocket.

NIN

Quote from: PHall on September 28, 2014, 10:39:46 PM
No. The airline will provide what is required by the FAA. Everything else is optional and comes out of the pilot's pocket.

Actually, the airline *might* provide. A  friend is an FO with American. She has an iPad with all her pubs. So does the CA.  No more wheeling around huge pub bags and dinking around with making sure your pubs bag is up to date. 

Less weight in the cockpit.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

THRAWN

Quote from: NIN on September 29, 2014, 10:33:36 AM
Quote from: PHall on September 28, 2014, 10:39:46 PM

Actually, the airline *might* provide. A  friend is an FO with American. She has an iPad with all her pubs. So does the CA.  No more wheeling around huge pub bags and dinking around with making sure your pubs bag is up to date. 

Less weight in the cockpit.

Some do provide. I just inspected a carrier that, last year, had big piles of unused paper in their lockers. Now, that's not an issue. All of their pubs are electronic, and when an update comes down, it's automatically updated in their device.
Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023