aircrew survival training experience

Started by the0wl, June 05, 2013, 05:31:59 PM

the0wl

I searched for any course feedback and saw several threads on survival gear, but has anyone actually taken any of the aircrew survival classes offered? I'm curious about how good they were and if the practical skills learned for general outdoor survival were of benefit and good general knowledge that could help camping/hiking/wilderness explorers in addition.

(wonder how long this will take for a zombie hijack?)  ;D

NIN

Quote from: the0wl on June 05, 2013, 05:31:59 PM
I searched for any course feedback and saw several threads on survival gear, but has anyone actually taken any of the aircrew survival classes offered? I'm curious about how good they were and if the practical skills learned for general outdoor survival were of benefit and good general knowledge that could help camping/hiking/wilderness explorers in addition.

I was trained in SERE (not at Fairchild) as an Army aircrew member in the 1980s.  Pretty rudimentary, really, not at all like the aircrew training the AF puts everybody thru.

Of course, the ROK SF guys they put out after us during the Evasion phase were not to be trifled with. I think the phrase "this is a training situation" got a little lost in the translation, so you got a little rough handling when you were captured. :)

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Critical AOA

Basic outdoor survival skills will serve you well as long as the ABU wearing zombies don't find you.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."   - George Bernard Shaw

Huey Driver

Is the OP talking about Hawk's Aircrew Survival Course?
With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right...

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Duke Dillio

I've taught a couple of these classes.  They weren't any good at all as the instruction was horrible and the guy in charge didn't know anything about airplanes...   >:D

I tend to hold them around the same time that I teach new GT members the basics of woodsmanship and stuff.  I give out a list for a good, lightweight survival kit.  Then, if the aircrews are up for it, I use them as dummies practice victims for the ground teams so they can get the experience of getting strapped to a backboard and boy man-handled through the great wide woods.  Most of the aircrew members that I have trained tell me that they want nothing to do with it afterwards and I just tell them to not crash their plane...  I haven't had one yet who has had to use any of the skills I have taught in an actual survival situation....   :'(

kratclif

I do both Ground Team and Aircrew stuff with CAP, and I'm also a team member on a local K9 SAR team (though I don't have dog myself).

It appears that CAP's normal aircrew survival training is almost entirely classroom-based. It's good information, don't get me wrong, but I would like to see a bit more hands-on stuff for the aircrews to supplement the classroom learning. In the event of an actual emergency I believe the hands-on practical stuff would be more valuable than a PowerPoint presentation.

What I'd really like to do sometime is take an aircrew out "camping" using only the equipment/clothing they have on their person and the items they would have access to in an A/C survival kit carried in the plane! That would of course have to be done under controlled conditions to make it safe. They could set off a practice beacon in the early morning and have a Ground Team "rescue" them at the "crash site" (assuming they "survived" the night without giving up).

I don't know that I could find many aircrew folks willing to try that, but it sure sounds like fun, and would expand their comfort zone.

Returning to the OP's question: no, I haven't heard any feedback on any aircrew survival courses. I would be interested in hearing about them if anyone has information though.

Kevin
Maj Kevin Ratcliff, CAP

Spaceman3750

Alaska Wing's Anchorage SAR group hosts a winter survival school every other year (run by an AF SERE grad who may still troll these boards). One of these days I will fly up to play. I would like to complete some survival training for lower 48 climates but CSS was the only CAP offering I liked (and I think they canceled it, and I'm not a cadet).

Ed Bos

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 06, 2013, 04:34:24 PM
Alaska Wing's Anchorage SAR group hosts a winter survival school every other year (run by an AF SERE grad who may still troll these boards). One of these days I will fly up to play. I would like to complete some survival training for lower 48 climates but CSS was the only CAP offering I liked (and I think they canceled it, and I'm not a cadet).

We've held 2 cold-weather survival courses in Anchorage, (www.facebook.com/CAP.ESSE), but for basic aircrew survival training you'd probably want to start with something warmer.
EDWARD A. BOS, Lt Col, CAP
Email: edward.bos(at)orwgcap.org
PCR-OR-001

NorCal21

Quote from: the0wl on June 05, 2013, 05:31:59 PM

I've not taken a CAP one no. I did take a spacial disorientation course with the CGAUX up at Pensacola. Next time.... must remember to clear up all the snot I had in me. My inner ear balance was off which provided for much dizziness!

What courses does CAP offer? I wonder if they have one at NESA. I do know that many Colorado squadrons have wilderness survival training available from a private organization. It was a real eye opener.

ol'fido

Quote from: Spaceman3750 on June 06, 2013, 04:34:24 PM
One of these days, Group 1 will be holding a survival course down south.
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

mwewing

Michigan Wing is hosting a Aircrew Survival Course next month at SAR Academy. As I understand it, this is a brand new course offering this year. The website is: http://www.saracademy.net/ if anyone wants to get more information.
Maj. Mark Ewing, CAP
Commander
West Michigan Group (GLR-MI-703)