F/A-18 goes down in Virginia Beach

Started by Bulls729, April 06, 2012, 05:38:03 PM

Bulls729

"VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) - The Navy confirms to WAVY.com that an F-18 jet has crashed in Virginia Beach Friday afternoon.

Grazia Moyers, spokeswoman for the Virginia Beach Police Department, told  WAVY.com just before 12:30 p.m. what police believe is a military aircraft has gone down.

Cmdr. Phil Rosi with Naval Air Forces Atlantic told WAVY.com the plane was an F-18 with Strike Fighter Squadron 106. Rosi added two aircrew safely ejected from the plane that was based at Naval Air Station Oceana.

Sentara Healthcare says one pilot is at Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital.

Further information is not available at this time.

Police are responding to the scene at this time and will assist the military and the State Police, Moyer added.

Virginia State Police have shut down Interstate 264 at Laskin Road in both directions, Sgt. Anaya with the VSP said.

Virginia Department of Transportation traffic cameras showed thick, black smoke rising from the Birdneck Road area Friday afternoon around 12:30 p.m.

WAVY.com has a crew on the scene and will have more as soon as it comes in."

- WAVY.com

Live Feed from WVEC 13: http://www.wvec.com/live-stream/13News-Live-Video.html

WAVY Article: http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/va_beach/military-plane-crashes-in-virginia-beach

Gizmodo Article with more photos: http://gizmodo.com/5899790/f+18-crashes-and-explodes-next-to-elementary-school-updating-live
1st Lt.
IT Officer
FLWG

bosshawk

About an hour ago, CNN was doing its usual lousy job of reporting on this incident.  Why don't they hire someone to be on standby who knows the pointy end of an airplane from the blunt end?  Suzanne Malveux(sp?) asks the dumbest questions and doesn't know when to shut up.

It apparently was either a D or E/F model FA-18, two seater.  Terrible that it went into an apartment building.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

abdsp51

That sucks big time, they have been pretty reliable for the longest time.

SarDragon

The site is on the departure from Rwy 5, about 2.4 miles from the numbers.

[edited to reflect correct flight direction]
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

a2capt

Seems kinda similar to the Miramar incident in approach, location, etc. We'll have to wait for the rest.

SarDragon

Quote from: a2capt on April 06, 2012, 07:17:32 PM
Seems kinda similar to the Miramar incident in approach, location, etc. We'll have to wait for the rest.

Nah, Miramar was landing. These guys were taking off. I edited my post to reflect the correct flight direction.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Bulls729

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on April 06, 2012, 09:18:01 PM
Here is a reddit thread by a guy that lives next to the building it crashed into:

http://www.reddit.com/r/pics/comments/rwi16/an_fa18_hornet_just_crashed_into_the_apartments/

Ah another redditor, here is the /r/military discussion on it: http://www.reddit.com/r/Military/comments/rwhu0/f18_jet_crashes_into_virginia_beach_apartment/

Also attempted to post about it when it was first happening, some others probably beat me to it: http://www.reddit.com/r/news/comments/rwhxm/fa18_crashes_and_explodes_next_to_elementary/

And finally unrelated to this report, but for CAP people there is /r/CivilAirPatrol: http://www.reddit.com/r/CivilAirPatrol not large at all but still there.
1st Lt.
IT Officer
FLWG

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: SarDragon on April 06, 2012, 07:11:07 PM
The site is on the departure from Rwy 5, about 2.4 miles from the numbers.

[edited to reflect correct flight direction]
One of the big issues regarding military (as well as civilian airfields) was there wasn't any effective zoning to prevent residential areas from being built on aircraft approach & departure zones.    I know in some areas now, the USAF has approached local governments regarding zoning changes and has a model for the zones that limit the number of people in those approach/departure zones.    I think this was primarily due to noise abatement and secondary safety.

An example of this issue going on right now can be found at:
http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/westover_concerns_put_proposed.html  Notice the city council does not want to cause the USAF any concern, that might lead to base closure.    Oceana NAS was considered for closure during a relatively recent BRAC.   As you can see the mayor there is also soft peddling the crash.

The bottom line on this is IF one chooses to live & work on an airport approach and/or departure zone, there is the chance for an aircraft crashing into your building/home.  HOWEVER, I think living next to the railroad tracks is a lot more dangerous.

RM

PHall

The military has tried for years to keep development out of the approach zones at the end of their runways.
But all the civilian communities seem to care about is the increased tax revenues from allowing the development.
Until something like this happens......

The military doesn't make the zoning decisions, the civilian communities outside the gate does.
And a number of military bases have closed because of encroachment.
Bases like Norton AFB, NAS Moffett, NAS Los Alimitos, all in California. And you can probably find examples near where you live too.

a2capt

Except Los Alamitos didn't close- it's just Joint Forces now, and still has active air ops.

Look at the photo from 1947.. you can see where the Group 7 HQ sits.. mostly surrounded by empty dirt now, and still then. Though that building itself isn't there. But talk about encroachment. You'd never believe it. Imagine the Jack in the Box just off to the right of the section on the photo..

PHall

The largest aircraft based at Los Al these days are the Beech 18 "bug bombers".
That and the Army Reserve C-12's. Otherwise its Army Guard helicopters and CAP sailplanes.

AngelWings

Throwing out my opinion, if anyone wants to build in an area next to, near, or under a flightline/runway, they should have to sign a document saying they cannot complain about the noises of the jets to the city council, hold the USAF (or applicable owner) responsible when a plane like a C-5A crashes straight into their complex, and that there is notice to all patrons to the risk and that by being there they agree to not complaining about the runway/ if a plane crashes straight into them. It is like building a school facing towards a firing range.

Major Carrales

Or, the Navy could just relocate those squadrons to KINGSVILLE, TEXAS where there is yet to be this level of development...(hint...hint...BRAC)

In all seriousness, I think this will be an issue on the next round of BRAC hearings.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

EMT-83

You could move to Connecticut, be declared a victim of the airport, and the government will purchase your home.

The federal government is currently spending millions of dollars to buy houses located near the second largest airport in the state. Of course, the airport was already there when people bought their homes, but that doesn't matter.

Less than a quarter-mile away, there's a new development going up, with homes selling in the $400,000 range. I'm wondering how long it takes for those folks to be declared victims as well.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: Littleguy on April 07, 2012, 01:50:42 PM
Throwing out my opinion, if anyone wants to build in an area next to, near, or under a flightline/runway, they should have to sign a document saying they cannot complain about the noises of the jets to the city council, hold the USAF (or applicable owner) responsible when a plane like a C-5A crashes straight into their complex, and that there is notice to all patrons to the risk and that by being there they agree to not complaining about the runway/ if a plane crashes straight into them. It is like building a school facing towards a firing range.
Well actually it gets a bit complicated.  Right now next to our base, IF homes, etc are within the approach zones to the runways, there's a specific statement that must be placed (by law) in the purchase and sale agreements specifically stating this (not sure if that has to be put on any rental type agreements).    Regarding zoning, the AF has model zoning provisions that they have presented to the various communities on the flight paths in my area.   I think it's been about 10 years since the noise/safety study was completed.   It seem to me that most were concerned more about the noise/quality of life issues for their homes rather than the safety aspect.   Also in those new buildings allowed in these zones, certain building codes regarding insulation from the noise must also be adhered to.   

As with any aircraft crash on an approach/departure zone, this will cause some people to have pause about living in that zone BUT the vast majority of politicians today aren't going to rock the boat with the military regarding this because military bases provide economic benefits to surrounding communities.
RM   

SarDragon

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 07, 2012, 03:57:56 PM
Or, the Navy could just relocate those squadrons to KINGSVILLE, TEXAS where there is yet to be this level of development...(hint...hint...BRAC)

In all seriousness, I think this will be an issue on the next round of BRAC hearings.

Locating the squadrons at Kingsville is impractical. The base is too far away from Atlantic the home ports, and the depot maintenance facilities.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Mech failure on take off and currently still no fatalities.

Extremepredjudice

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

abdsp51

Alot of bashing the Navy and DoD on that one. 

Extremepredjudice

Yeah, but there is some interesting stuff. Just don't get offended.

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor

abdsp51

Me hardly but alot of the folks there have no concept of what goes on when it comes to paying claims and the like.