Any FAA approved CAP-only Computer Testing Designees (CTDs)?

Started by Swampfox, February 03, 2012, 01:41:21 AM

Swampfox

Computer Testing Designees (CTDs) is the FAA designation for the organizations who can provide airman knowledge tests (test proctors).
(See http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Order/8080.6E.pdf)

Since the cost is now $150 per test (that I know about), I was wondering if someone in the CAP could administer the knowledge tests to only CAP members (Yes, I know, this is against the FAA view that the test administrator would be giving the tests to the public).  I'll send an e-mail to afs630comments@faa.gov to ask but I'd like to know if someone has already gotten approval.

I am thinking that CAP would provide the testing free to CAP members and only to CAP members.  It would be an advantage to join CAP just to skip paying $150.

Any opinions?

Capt Seldon Morgan, CAP

RogueLeader

My question would be as to who would pay the $150. NHQ?  The AF?  Neither has the cash.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

SarDragon

Did you read this whole document? Designation is not a trivial, or cheap, endeavor.

Paragraphs 3-4 and 3-5 involve some extensive, and expensive, requirements.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: RogueLeader on February 03, 2012, 02:13:58 AM
My question would be as to who would pay the $150. NHQ?  The AF?  Neither has the cash.
The FAA doesn't charge a fee.  The test centres do.  If CAP were to do the testing, they would be free to provide it as a benefit.

That said, this is a non-trivial undertaking.

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

SarDragon

Quote from: Extremepredjudice on February 03, 2012, 03:36:02 AM
So we could make money, like WAA?

Would that be any of the following:

Web Analytics Association
Wheatland Athletic Association
Wisconsin Alumni Association
Wisconsin Arborists Association
Washington Association of Accountants
Woodbury Athletic Association
Winnipeg Airports Authority
Western Arts Alliance

or other?

Getting back to the original Q, if CAP charged $150 a pop, and 200 tests a year, likely not a reasonable figure, but convenient, it would take several years to recoup the cost of implementing paragraphs 3-4 and 3-5.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

JeffDG

Quote from: SarDragon on February 03, 2012, 04:15:34 AM
Getting back to the original Q, if CAP charged $150 a pop, and 200 tests a year, likely not a reasonable figure, but convenient, it would take several years to recoup the cost of implementing paragraphs 3-4 and 3-5.
Not to mention 4-12

lordmonar

Looking at it....sounds like something that CAP could do......but looks like it would be a lot of work to get started up and would not be used all that often.

This is obviously a buisness plan for a for-profit organisation who do enough buisness to justify the cost.....but if CAP wanted to offer something like this to its members....it would be cheaper just to give $150 to the member to take the test at one of the existing facitiites.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on February 03, 2012, 06:54:36 PM
Looking at it....sounds like something that CAP could do......but looks like it would be a lot of work to get started up and would not be used all that often.
Really?  We could background check every ITO in CAP, and every time one changes?  Take a look at the background checks section and see if we could do that on a consistent basis.

lordmonar

Quote from: JeffDG on February 03, 2012, 08:36:36 PM
Really?  We could background check every ITO in CAP, and every time one changes?  Take a look at the background checks section and see if we could do that on a consistent basis.
We do background checks on everyone in CAP.
Like I said.....it is something we could do....but it would be cheaper to just give the testers the $150!

JeffDG

Quote from: lordmonar on February 03, 2012, 08:41:19 PM
Like I said.....it is something we could do....but it would be cheaper to just give the testers the $150!
We do a cursory criminal records search.  This would need to be significantly more in-depth, periodically repeated, and redone every time someone is appointed as, for example, an IT Officer.

lordmonar

Quote from: JeffDG on February 03, 2012, 08:45:04 PM
Quote from: lordmonar on February 03, 2012, 08:41:19 PM
We do a cursory criminal records search.  This would need to be significantly more in-depth, periodically repeated, and redone every time someone is appointed as, for example, an IT Officer.
Read the last senatance.....I agree with you.....it would cost too much.