**Communication Regulations**

Started by usafcap1, June 07, 2014, 02:01:58 AM

usafcap1

|GES|SET|BCUT|ICUT|FLM|FLS*|MS|CD|MRO*|AP|IS-100|IS-200|IS-700|IS-800|

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

usafcap1

(Cadet 2008-2012)

Air•plane / [air-pleyn] / (ar'plan')-Massive winged machines that magically propel them selfs through the sky.

Brad

LOL never gets old. Personally I teach that per 100-3 unless it's bad conditions if the end of the transmission is understood then you don't have to say "over" every time.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

Eclipse

Funny.  (URL above is broke, here is the video)

Family Guy - Over

"That Others May Zoom"

RRLE

Quote from: Brad on June 07, 2014, 02:26:30 AM
per 100-3 unless it's bad conditions if the end of the transmission is understood then you don't have to say "over" every time.

That may be true in CAP but other organizations expect an "Over" or an "Out" (but never both) at the end of each transmission. I'll see if I can find it but I believe a "Over" or "Out" at the end of each transmission is supposed to be standard emergency comms - just like the use of Plain English.

Roger That (only kidding).

PHall

Quote from: RRLE on June 07, 2014, 01:20:46 PM
per 100-3 unless it's bad conditions if the end of the transmission is understood then you don't have to say "over" every time.

That may be true in CAP but other organizations expect an "Over" or an "Out" (but never both) at the end of each transmission. I'll see if I can find it but I believe a "Over" or "Out" at the end of each transmission is supposed to be standard emergency comms - just like the use of Plain English.

I've very rarely heard over or out being used on Fire or Police comms. 

EMT-83

Quote from: PHall on June 07, 2014, 01:51:10 PM

Followed by howls of laughter?

PHall

Quote from: EMT-83 on June 07, 2014, 01:55:05 PM

Followed by howls of laughter?

Sounds about right! :o

-----------------------------

I know that we never ever used over or out on any of the Air Force LMR radios that I've ever used.

Eclipse

Isn't that really a remnant of, or more appropriate for, times when the connection is poor or the communicator is inexperienced?

Usually operators of even fair experience can use succinct sentences, etc., and the closing of the circuit is a clue they
are done speaking.

The problem comes in with new communicators who don't wait for the repeater to grab, and/or 1/2-a beat to insure the
other side is done speaking.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

usafcap1

(Cadet 2008-2012)

antdetroitwallyball

Slim

Quote from: RRLE on June 07, 2014, 01:20:46 PM

Never been a standard in any emergency comms i've been involved with in the last 25 years.  A fireman slipping and saying "Over" on the fire radio is met with just as much laughing, teasing and/or eye rolling as when someone accidentally drops a "10-4" on a CAP radio.

The only place I've ever heard "Over" and "Out" used religiously is on railroad frequencies.  Even on marine channels, if you're not the Coast Guard, you're not using them. 

Slim

scooter

Agree with everyone that says everywhere but CAP "over" and "out" are met with guffaws. You never hear it on any ATC comm. Professional pilots (military, airline, corporate, charter)would be severely embarrassed. ;D

The CyBorg is destroyed

Exiled from GLR-MI-011

PHall

Quote from: CyBorg on June 09, 2014, 01:55:09 AM
Or saying "Roger Wilco."

What's wrong with "Roger, Wilco"?

Roger = Message received and understood.
Wilco = Will comply.

So what's the problem?

EMT-83

Quote from: PHall on June 09, 2014, 02:07:42 AM

Wilco = Will comply.

So what's the problem?

It's redundant - Roger is implied with Wilco. It's difficult to comply with a message that hasn't been received and understood.

SarDragon

Quote from: PHall on June 09, 2014, 02:07:42 AM
Quote from: CyBorg on June 09, 2014, 01:55:09 AM
Or saying "Roger Wilco."

Wilco = Will comply.

So what's the problem?

From CAPR 100-3:

WILCO
I have received, and understood, and will comply. (Note: Since the meaning of the proword ROGER is included; the two prowords are not used together.)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

antdetroitwallyball

It amuses me how much people who don't regularly use radios as a part of their profession obsess over proword technicalities. I can tell you from experience that generally, saying things like "over" and "out" are usually unecessary, and in fact take up an incredible amount of time, relatively speaking. They just end up hindering the flow of conversation for the most part.

Want to talk on the radio like RealMilitary actually does? Keep it short, to the point, and professional. Try too hard by over using prowords, etc......and you'll come off as an amateur. :)

arajca

Something I have seen multiple times at CAP exercises is the field unit will pause in the middle of their transmission for some reason, long enough for someone to presume they've finished talking, so the other party will start transmitting, resulting in a pile-up. This is common for newer operators, but not too uncommon for 'experienced' CAP operators.

It also comes down to common practice. I have waited for someone to formally end their transmission since where they stopped was not a logical stopping point. I don't know if they intended to stop there or they got distracted or had to check on something.

When I was in the fire service, the radio conversations were usually much shorter than CAP conversations and had fewer back and forths in the conversation. IIRC, the average was three.