Main Menu

"We're just volunteers"

Started by Eclipse, March 14, 2013, 05:04:02 PM

Flying Pig

The key is understanding that there are different levels of what people are willing to commit to.  Someone who is retired, works for themselves or who is independently wealthy, can invest a huge amount of time in CAP.  The problem arises when those people end up in command positions and then expect others to do the same.
If you join a volunteer SAR team and you join knowing that you must attend 50% of the trainings and 25% of the call outs and then fail to do so, then you knew what was coming. 

With CAP, just do what you say you are going to do.  If you join, keep your dues paid every year, but I never see you? I don't care.  Because I don't rely on you anyway.  If you join and tell me you will be there every meeting night to get the doors unlocked and the air conditioner turned on 30 minutes prior, but then you need to leave as soon as someone else gets there.  Fine.  Just don't tell me you will do something, and then make me scramble at the last second when you forget about it.

Just expect to be awarded for you level of involvement.  Units with airplanes have all seen the members who cant be reached when the building needs cleaned but are the first people in line when its a funded SAREX. We had a guy whos excuse was that his time was very valuable and that if it was going to be given to CAP, then he was going to be flying.  Not sweeping floors and emptying trash.  My comment was, "Well. Then I guess we will take care of all that little stuff so you can just come and fly."  He actually nodded his head in agreement not catching my sarcasm!  Thats when I yanked his flying privileges.  Shortly after that he let his membership lapse.

If you are a burden as a volunteer, go away.  If you at least do what you say you will do, then welcome.

Walkman

The way I read Eclipse's 1st post isn't that we all need to give 30 hours a week to our units and if we don't we're lazy scrubs. Some of the replies give me the impression that readers were taking it that way.

What I get is this: Give us your best effort within your abilities, and do it within regs. Being a volunteer doesn't mean cutting corners or doing the job halfway and then saying "you're lucky I'm here at all" when someone calls on it. No one is going to complain about the person that has life circumstances that preclude their putting in tons of hours but do a bang-up job on the few they are able to put in.

Really, for majority of the CT regulars, this is preachin' to the choir. We spend too much time here than is healthy  ;) because we're passionate about CAP. The ones that really need to hear OP message are the ones who wouldn't be bother to even see if there's an online community for CAP anyway.

Texas Raiders

Flying Pig and Walkman are right on the money in my opinion.

SM Randy Patterson
DPO
399th Comp. Squadron,  Danbury, CT "Yankee Hatters"
IAFF Local 1567
USCG- 1998-2010   Boatswain's Mate
Former member of the old 273rd/ Mid-County Composite Squadron, Nederland, Texas- 1994-2000

FlyTiger77

When I was commanding a squadron, we had a gentleman (who is now a local judge) who could only commit to being at meetings and shepherding visitors through the welcome and overview of what we were doing (we called Jeff the "Howdy" guy). During the two hours of the meeting each week, he was committed and effective. If, for some reason, he could not attend, he would let someone know in advance.

On the other hand, there was a lady who consistently overpromised and underdelivered. She would be the first to volunteer to take on a project and then, in fairly short order, disappear for fairly lengthy period of time while the project languished.

The first member was a commander's joy. The second? Not so much.
JACK E. MULLINAX II, Lt Col, CAP

ZigZag911

Seems pretty simple to me:

1) meet the commitments you make
2) play by the rules

Stonewall

It's all about balance, period. 

Don't commit to what you can't commit to - be honest with your commader, be honest with yourself, and be honest to CAP.

I had to take a break.  I had to!  I was married to CAP for many years, but I wanted a relationship and a family, so I did what every CAP lifer would do, I had my new bride join CAP in 2003  >:D  She enjoyed it and we were a great team!  But then my professional life changed and became more demanding with a lot of travel outside the country.  Without me going, she stopped going, thus putting the squadron at a hardship.  I couldn't do what I had committed to doing, so I had to pull the plug from being commander.

We are volunteers because we aren't paid, but I consider myself a volunteer as I serve in the National Guard, but there, I'm paid.  Truth is, I'd probably still serve in the National Guard if it were unpaid, just like CAP.  Why?  Because I love it!

Now that my life has changed, I have children and my job doesn't have me globe trotting, I have slowly eased back into an active role at a squadron.  Recently, I became the DCC for the fourth time in my life; my favorite position in CAP.  I am a cadet programs officers and an ES guru wanna-be.  I am a volunteer, but I maintain myself as professionally as I can.  If I commit to doing something I do so as a professional.

Being a "professional volunteer" really is simple because we have choices.  You can be just as professional and earn just as much respect as a once-a-month AEO as can Ecplipse, a full-time hard chargin' CAP lifer.  But by choosing your level of involvement, you still have the obligation to meet certain standards and criteria.  Just because you choose to wear the BBDUs doesn't mean you can wear them how you want.  You still need to represent the whole organization.  You can't show up saying "hey, I paid for this uniform and I'll wear it however I want".  If you can't afford, or otherwise choose NOT to wear blues, then by all means, wear the aviator polo shirt, but do so with respect and do so appropriately, with the right style/color of pants.

Choose your level of participation, but commit to what you commit to.  It's that easy. 
Serving since 1987.

West MI-CAP-Ret

Well written, Stonewall.

I just deleted stuff that doesn't really add to what you have eloquently laid out.  I agree with what you wrote and appreciate your views

Warmly, Dave :clap:
MAJ DAVID J. D'ARCY, CAP (Ret) 8 Apr 2018 (1974-1982, 1988-2018)
A former member of:
West Michigan Group MI-703,
Hudsonville Cadet Sqdron MI-135 (name changed to Park Township, Al Johnson Cadet Sqdrn)
Lakeshore Cadet Sqdrn MI-119
Van Dyke Cadet Sqdrn, MI-117
Phoenix Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-065 (inactive)
Novi Sixgate Cadet Sqdrn (inactive), MI-068
Inkster Cherry Hill Cadet Sqdrn MI-GLR-MI-283 (inactive)

Flying Pig

Quote from: Stonewall on March 16, 2013, 12:46:07 AM
  I was married to CAP for many years, but I wanted a relationship and a family, so I did what every CAP lifer would do, I had my new bride join CAP in 2003  >:D  She enjoyed it and we were a great team! 

I did that too.  I was about 23 and my wife was about 21.  We had a baby less than a year old.  I was the DCC, and my wife just decided she would start going and helping with office stuff and ended up completely revamping and updating all of the cadet and senior files, organizing cadet testing, etc etc.  Mostly just behind the scenes office work.  And.... hold on to your hat kids.... she wasnt even a member!!!!  I know huh :o  We barely had enough money for me to be in CAP at the time.  Both of us worked dead end minimum wage jobs.  She brought the play pen and put the baby to sleep in a dark supply room.  She did her thing in the office and I did my thing with the cadets.  Good times ;D   We did that for about a year and then the kid just started getting to old and became a distraction.  She only did it to hang out with me. 

Private Investigator

Quote from: FlyTiger77 on March 15, 2013, 05:12:15 PM
When I was commanding a squadron, we had a gentleman (who is now a local judge) who could only commit to being at meetings and shepherding visitors through the welcome and overview of what we were doing (we called Jeff the "Howdy" guy). During the two hours of the meeting each week, he was committed and effective. If, for some reason, he could not attend, he would let someone know in advance.

On the other hand, there was a lady who consistently overpromised and underdelivered. She would be the first to volunteer to take on a project and then, in fairly short order, disappear for fairly lengthy period of time while the project languished.

The first member was a commander's joy. The second? Not so much.

That has been my experience too.

Of course when you are selecting Squadron or Group Commanders and you let them know in advance how difficult that assignment can be, about six months later after they screwed up a few times and sinking in quicksand they play the "we're just volunteers" card.   ;)