"Red Dawn" gone politically correct!

Started by Major Lord, April 03, 2011, 08:32:03 PM

JoeTomasone

"John has a long mustache.   John has a long mustache."

Hmm, seems to me that would be a violation of 100-3.    >:D

BradM

Its more realistic if it was the Chinese invading us but not in the present day. Perhaps in the late 2020s after our military has been drawn down a lot and the Chinese military doubled in size. Especially their navy. In 2028 the U.S is down to two aircraft carrier battlegroups because of budget cuts and mushrooming entitlement programs while the Chinese PLA navy now has 14 carrier battle groups plus 2 million Marines to use as invasion troops. And they have 3,000 J-20 stealth fighter-bomber jets combined with their own long range stealth bomber fleet. :)
BRAD MELILLO, 1st Lt, CAP
Finance Officer
Asst. Professional Development Officer
Brackett Composite Squadron 64
La Verne, CA

Al Sayre

The Chinese won't need to build their own stealth fleet.  All they need to do is wait a few years and then reposess ours...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

EMT-83

Quote from: JoeTomasone on April 04, 2011, 03:59:42 PM
"John has a long mustache.   John has a long mustache."

Hmm, seems to me that would be a violation of 100-3.    >:D

Not to mention 39-1.

Major Lord

Well, if John is not wearing  an AF style uniform, or does in fact have a long mustache, then I guess we are off  the hook!

Major Lord
"The Chicken is in the pot" ......"Cook it".......
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Earhart1971

The scene in Red Dawn with the Spetnaz Troops and the Spetnaz Colonel Lecture scene about the Wolverines. We become them! The Wolverines were orignally supposed to be CAP Cadets.

MikeD

Quote from: Major Lord on April 03, 2011, 09:01:55 PM
Quote from: MIKE on April 03, 2011, 08:52:03 PM
Obviously you haven't been playing HOMEFRONT.

I don't listen to "hip-hop"..... :)

Major lord

Win and Fail all at once.  I'm totally amused here, needed it, thanks.  :clap:

Also, while commies might be considered a protected endangered species in Cali, I think they are also known to cause cancer in the fine state of CA...

Smoothice

I'm surprised networks still play that movie in today's world...oh no! Kids...with GUNS!  Oh the HUMANITY!!!!!!

I remember when "The Patriot" was under fire for the scene when the kids are shooting at the troops from the trees.

They better go after "Iron Eagle" too...I mean Doug waisted how many from that middle-eastern country??  HA!!!!

Майор Хаткевич

As a Russian, I found Red Dawn, and the time period it was made in, humorous. The whole story line was a bit "LOL" for me, but I enjoyed it. I was looking forward to the remake with the CHICOMS, but I guess the NK will do. Wasn't the remake filmed in Michigan? These guys did MUCH better compared with the Russians! :P

niferous

Quote from: Earhart1971 on April 05, 2011, 12:44:46 AM
The scene in Red Dawn with the Spetnaz Troops and the Spetnaz Colonel Lecture scene about the Wolverines. We become them! The Wolverines were orignally supposed to be CAP Cadets.

Like really or are you joking? I remember them saying that they were Boy Scouts.
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Major Lord

You found the cold war humorous? I remember it somehow....... differently. If you mean you found the idea that a high school football team could disrupt an occupying army, I understand, but Russians wrote the book on how to do exactly that; And then had the Mujahideen use their own tactics to send them scrambling back to mother Russia. America had its butt handed to us by the VC. The IRA consisted of approximately 200 actual combatants, but their insurgency broke the political and military will of the British people. Insurgency (or terrorism) absolutely works! Especially if it is carried out by guerrilla forces with the home field advantage. In all these cases of course, guerrilla forces had extensive outside support from the former Soviet Union.

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Майор Хаткевич

I found the concept of a 1980's Soviet invasion humorous, yes. It was bad enough over there where things were already coming down. Ain't no one was going to invade anyone on another continent. Plus, as you point out, the Soviet Army had it's hands full in Afghanistan beyond their ability as is.

Persona non grata

Real funny when your are living in West Germany as a kid during the cold war  right?   
The threat was real!
Росомахи ......." Мы были здесь первыми " ;D
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Earhart1971

Quote from: niferous on April 12, 2011, 01:34:24 PM
Quote from: Earhart1971 on April 05, 2011, 12:44:46 AM
The scene in Red Dawn with the Spetnaz Troops and the Spetnaz Colonel Lecture scene about the Wolverines. We become them! The Wolverines were originally supposed to be CAP Cadets.

Like really or are you joking? I remember them saying that they were Boy Scouts.

Nope its no joke. There is a thread way back that discussed the issue, somebody at the Defense Department above CAP Command level shot it down. The screen writer knew about the CAP Cadet Program.

It would have made more sense, and been more believeable and put the CAP Cadet Program on the MAP for years to come. Can you imagine the visibility and the recruiting from that?

Patrick Swayze the Cadet Commander or Young newly appointed former Cadet to Senior Member.

niferous

I'm in both programs (BSA and CAP) and I can really state that the BSA teaches way more when it comes to surviving in the wilderness then CAP does. That's not a knock to CAP, they just don't have time to teach all the skills needed due to requirements to teach other things like Aerospace Education, D&C, etc.  I often urge male cadets that are in the program to participate in the BSA as they both reinforce the other as far as skills needed in the wilderness and a very well rounded education about values, principals, and leadership studies. 
Any advice I give is worth exactly what you are paying for it.

sarmed1

Capt.  Mark "K12" Kleibscheidel

a2capt

Oh good lord... I hope it's not a thrasher ..

Of course, it wouldn't be CAP cadets this time either ...  though this time they probably didn't even try.

Eclipse

I have to say, there's been a lot of griping over the politics involved in getting this thing released, but the trailers look pretty good!

I'd certainly drop a Redbox dollar for it!

"That Others May Zoom"

SamFranklin

Quote from: Major Lord on April 03, 2011, 08:32:03 PM
Turns out the producers were afraid of offending the CHICOMS ( and limiting film distribution) These are dark days indeed......North Korea is now the bad guy. A North Korean expeditionary force would not survive their first encounter with the LAPD....

For me, the saddest thing is that the campy, farcical "Red Dawn" is now poking fun at a hereditary regime which literally kills entire generations of families for a single offense, starves its citizens, uses rape as punishment, forces children to witness their parents' executions, and murders newborns to psychologically torture mothers and fathers. And this has been going on for about 60 years now.

There's not one thing that's funny about North Korea. Not one [darn] thing.

http://hrnk.org/uploads/pdfs/HRNK_HiddenGulag2_Web_5-18.pdf

The CyBorg is destroyed

^^Agreed.

My ex-brother-in-law said the most terrifying tour he ever did in the Army (including serving in West Germany near the Demarcation Line with East Germany and Czechoslovakia) was on a listening post near the DMZ.

The Kims have got to be one of the most brutal, inhuman ruling dynasties in the history of the world.

Using the NK's as a subject for an updated Red Dawn isn't even realistic...they still have red stars on their flag, military equipment (most of it '60s rusted-out Soviet junk) and aircraft (same thing, except for a handful of MiG-29's that defend the Dear Great Grand Leader in Pyongyang).  However, they're not even really "Commies" anymore.  Their "constitution" has removed virtually all Marxist-Leninist language (Marx and Lenin would not have supported a generational dynasty, after all!) and replaced it with juche ("self-reliance").

Anywhere in the USA they'd make landfall they could very likely be contained by Army and Air National Guard units.  The NK's have a big army, but it's doubtful their clapped-out Ilyushins and Antonovs have enough gas (or spare parts) to make a trans-Pacific crossing to carry them....and the NK Navy can't even go much further than their 50 KM exclusion zone.  They'd be reef-building infrastructure for USCG and USN units in Hawaii, assuming the Royal Australian and Royal New Zealand Navies didn't decide to use them for target practice.

I feel for those people (the common North Korean, not the Kim family and their lackeys)...what a dehumanising way of life.  I had to do a fair bit of research on them for a paper I wrote for a Sociology class years ago.  Any citizen of a Western democracy who thinks their life sucks should read what it's like there.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011