2010-11 Rewrite of the Commanders Guide.

Started by CadetProgramGuy, November 28, 2010, 02:26:58 AM

CadetProgramGuy

In my infinate boredom at work lately I have started on a re-write of the Commanders Guide that has been floating on this site for a while.  I am 25 pages into it, without the pictures, and on page 45 of the old guide.

Many times it has been said that the guide was outdated and needed brought back to todays information.

I need help on this project.  While I concede to do the re-write, I need topic experts to make sure the data is accurate and accourign to regs, ect....

Anyone up to helping?  Total credit will be given, the best outcome for me is a best practice item and not a new regulation or pamphlet.

Here is what i have so far,  Thanks everyone!!

Persona non grata

where are the pictures??????? >:D

I applaud you for taking the time to do this.
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

JC004

No pictures?!  No help.  Some stick figures at least...

If I have time, I'd be interested in providing some things.  I've been sorting a lot of old CAP materials that I once worked on to update and post here as a resource.  One thing that I began work on before I was found out and black vans were sent was a revised version of this.  I had already produced a revised SM Fast Start Guide (or whatever that thing was called) and wanted to move on to this.  I must, among the stuff that I'm sorting, have at least some stuff from this project.  My Phase 1 of my material sorting/updating/distribution is ES but if I find this stuff, I can try putting it together too.  I do remember seeing a folder for it recently in papers that I've been sorting.

Pylon

Perhaps a collaborative Google Doc would better allow people to contribute edits and content?
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

I actually have it in google docs, I will post the link here at some point. (at work at the moment.)

The figures will be added later, just didn't use them yet.

It is the technical and the typos that need the most attention. I know some of the data is good, some is outdated, the last rewrite was 1994, and much has changed.

Capt Rivera

Thanks... Will look at it when I have a moment... Good luck on the project
//Signed//

Joshua Rivera, Capt, CAP
Squadron Commander
Grand Forks Composite Squadron
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.grandforkscap.org

SARDOC

TYPO under "The Three Missions of Civil Air Patrol" CAP has Performed not Preformed

TYPO under " The Senior Member Kit" The abbreviation for etcetera is Etc...not Ect

TYPO under "CAP History" Paragraph 2 sentence 2 spelling is COASTAL, PERFORMED as well as sentence Structure too many "AND"s and punctuation Recommend sentence replace with "CAP volunteers flew Anti-Submarine Coastal Patrol, Target Towing, Search and Rescue, Cargo, and Courier Service missions as well as other performing other National Defense Services during World War II."

I'll add more later as I find it.  Thanks in advance for taking on this project.

JC004

I still have another external HDD to search through and a bunch of paper files to find the hard copies.  I have to get back working on the ES stuff since it has been a couple weeks, so I will try to do it soon.  Might some of the materials from my revised SM Fast Start Guide and/or SLS/CLC classes that I taught be helpful materials also?

DakRadz

Ever wanted to cry?

I had lots and lots of suggestions and well thought out cheats to save CPG some major time...
I hit the wrong "Back" button.
Spell check showed me all of these mistakes, so.. I can't do it again. Took too long. But spell check would work.
Hyphens were missing from a few places, and ByLaws needs a lowercase L in several places. That's the major ones I remember.

Alright, here's a major thing under Counternarcotics Officer-
Quote from: Senior Member Position DescriptionsThe counternarcotics officer should be familiar with CAPR’s 55-1, 50-15, 60-1 and Memoranda of Understanding with US Customs Service, Drug Enforcement Administration, US Forest Service, and law enforcement agencies (as applicable).
I cannot find CAPR 55-1 nor CAPR 50-15. Does they exist? CAPR 60-1 is Flight Management, and seems incorrect as well.
CAPR 60-6 is not listed, and that is the Counterdrug Operations Reg which specifically addresses Counternarcotics.
I think this entire Regs part needs to be re-done.

On a slightly different and lesser but still a legal issue:
Memoranda should be Memorandum. NHQ has a guide to memorandums and spell checker doesn't like Memoranda either.

Below Counternarcotics, everything is correct as far as spell check goes.

Spaceman3750

50-15 is the old equivalent to 60-3. I believe it was entitled "Civil Air Patrol Operational Missions".

DakRadz

Quote from: SARDOC on December 04, 2010, 03:06:24 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w1LJTmiFKEKa-1qWWmZmltxi3dw5wNMJGyTDi0LiEHs/edit#

Minor Typo changes nothing to the content
True. But I've seen the SMs here on CT who say the Typos are annoying, like a little gnat flying in your ear. (Check the Officer Basic Course thread for proof). Making everything look professional and cleancut is a service to our members. CPG said typos needed the most attention, so I gave it to them.

I only named typos to help others and because it was pointed out.

AdAstra

Thanks, CadetProgramGuy, for doing this.

I spent an hour or more making some easy "fixes": https://docs1.google.com/document/d/1GkNjSuw3dDel7EAubbw44d2onJySGhpwLdn4Q9WH548/edit?hl=en&authkey=CI2u2psI#

Some time back, I began a somewhat similar task, putting resources for commanders on a CD. For instance, we have the ability to not just refer to CAPR 50-17, but to provide a link to it. I did so in the above.

But there have been a lot of changes since the guide was published in 1994: BOG, National Administrator (!?), CSM, to name just a couple., so it will take a more thorough going-over to update the guide.

Other thoughts about what can be added (not just updated)?
Charles Wiest

DakRadz

First Impressions

They leave a mark. The bold title of this post probably got your attention.

The only TYPO I would like to add is the very first bolded word in the Guide-

FOREWARD should be FOREWORD

SARDOC

Quote from: DakRadz on December 04, 2010, 03:19:05 AM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w1LJTmiFKEKa-1qWWmZmltxi3dw5wNMJGyTDi0LiEHs/edit#

True. But I've seen the SMs here on CT who say the Typos are annoying, like a little gnat flying in your ear. (Check the Officer Basic Course thread for proof). Making everything look professional and cleancut is a service to our members. CPG said typos needed the most attention, so I gave it to them.

I understand completely...My statement should have been phrased more like "I've made some minor TYPO changes but that I have not made changes to content"  just because I haven't had the chance to read the entire document and verify statements.  In my edited version I did correct that "ForeWORD" as well.  Thanks

DakRadz

Quote from: SARDOC on December 04, 2010, 04:09:10 AM
Quote from: DakRadz on December 04, 2010, 03:19:05 AM

I understand completely...My statement should have been phrased more like "I've made some minor TYPO changes but that I have not made changes to content"  just because I haven't had the chance to read the entire document and verify statements.  In my edited version I did correct that "ForeWORD" as well.  Thanks

Roger that sir. I forgot to mention (otherwise I would have seen it in yours)- you have your document restricted. This appears when I try to access it, and I have a gmail: "You need permission to access this item."

SARDOC

If you sent me a request accessing it I've authorized it.  I'm new to google docs so I haven't figured out how to make it public...working on it.  Thanks

Tubacap

Just a quick read prior to my morning coffee and only the first couple of pages, but do we use individual unit level accounts anymore since wing banker?  This would apply to the checklist for New Commander's #3.
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001

arajca

A couple of quick issues on the "Checklist for New Squadron and Group Commanders"

3. Wing Banker Program - Remove any references to any accounts in the squadron's name.

4.  S-3 is gone. Replace with "Change over inventory".  Include Communications in this item. New reg is CAPR 174-1.

7. Appoint staff members in eServices - recommended practice. CAPF 2a is acceptable, but need to make sure it gets to the right people at ALL levels.

13. Recommended practice is to designate National Publications website as the unit's "official" reg set. Do the same for region and wing publications. A simple operating instruction will cover it.

Add: Review and approve/change/remove all squadron operating instructions.

I'll come up with rewrites on these items over the next two days. I have a squadron planning weekend to go to.