Background checks and the shutdown

Started by Gunsotsu, January 22, 2019, 05:45:43 PM

Gunsotsu

The FAA isn't processing any applications for certificates because of the shutdown. Has the FBI put potential CAP senior member background checks (and recurrent ones) on hold as well?

jeders

Quote from: Washington Post
The FBI has to be able to continue ongoing investigations and open new ones, so it remains open for business, and "all FBI agents and support personnel in the field" have been deemed essential, according to the DOJ document. That includes "nearly all federal employees supporting the National Instant Criminal Background Check System," which conducts background checks for gun purchases.

Sounds like they're still operating as normal.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Spaceman3750

New members typically go on the books before the background check comes back, they just don't have "approved"/"LSCode: A" status until the check comes back clear or any questions are resolved to the satisfaction of NHQ.

TheSkyHornet

FBI/NICS is still operational during the shutdown. So background checks for CAP, ATF 4473s, etc. are still being conducted (although there may be a delay).

Employer E-Verify, however, has been said to be having some issues because the eligibility period expired during the shutdown.

Shuman 14

As a Special Agent for the Office of Personnel Management's (OPM) National Background Investigations Bureau (NBIB) on the civilian side; I can tell you that Background Investigations are not effected by the Shutdown.

The NBIB is a revolving funding Agency so we are unaffected by the shutdown. I can't speak for all of OPM but I know the NBIB is funded for the foreseeable future.

I haven't missed a check and my caseload isn't getting any smaller.   
Joseph J. Clune
Lieutenant Colonel, Military Police

USMCR: 1990 - 1992                           USAR: 1993 - 1998, 2000 - 2003, 2005 - Present     CAP: 2013 - 2014, 2021 - Present
INARNG: 1992 - 1993, 1998 - 2000      Active Army: 2003 - 2005                                       USCGAux: 2004 - Present