Flight Officer TIG tracking

Started by Майор Хаткевич, August 20, 2010, 09:22:40 PM

Майор Хаткевич

First, I was just notified by my Squadron Commander that I've officially crossed to the SM side on the 17th.

Second, I had a question which does not apply to me, but got me curious.

If NHQ does not track Flight Officer grades, does that mean it's a completely local action, and any TIG gets counted at the local level, to be substantiated for NHQ when the FO turns 21?

MSG Mac

Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

DakRadz

Congratulations TFO!

You have crossed to the dark side... Beware the doughnuts, sir.

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: DakRadz on August 20, 2010, 11:30:16 PM
Congratulations TFO!

You have crossed to the dark side... Beware the doughnuts, sir.

Lol, thanks.

I don't know if I'm a TFO or just a SMWOG (I should find out though!), which doesn't make a difference as I am inactive at this time, and the TIG won't mean anything (but for posterity down the line) until I turn 21 in less than 6 months.

a2capt

I don't get it- you're in the FO ranks if you:
Join after turning 19, but are under 21
Or after turning 18, you opt to switch to the Dark Side.

But you "automatically" become part of the Dark Side at 21, if you were a Cadet already.

What I'm getting at is there is not a case where you would have automatically reverted to be eligible for anything but SM(w/wo)G. TO ends at the 21st birthday, and SM begins at the 21st birthday.

...and the database has you as 'SM', so...

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: a2capt on August 20, 2010, 11:49:54 PM

But you "automatically" become part of the Dark Side at 21, if you were a Cadet already.

What I'm getting at is there is not a case where you would have automatically reverted to be eligible for anything but SM(w/wo)G. TO ends at the 21st birthday, and SM begins at the 21st birthday.

It's over 18, not 19 sir.
You also do not become a FO, just a SMWOG under 21. I guess we should call them C/SMs, since a lot of the time that's what happens.

Since NHQ doesn't track FOs at all, I guess there's a form somewhere that the Unit Commander fills out and sticks into the member file, which later gets submitted to NHQ to show that before turning 21, the SM(FO) is now eligible for so and so on the 21+ side.

HGjunkie

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 21, 2010, 12:39:38 AM
You also do not become a FO, just a SMWOG under 21. I guess we should call them C/SMs, since a lot of the time that's what happens.
Whoa, paradox. :o
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

MIKE

Technically you are not supposed to be appointed to FO-SFO without being in a supervisory or leadership position.

Quote from: CAPR 35-5(3) Leadership qualities. Individuals recommended for promotion to flight officer grade must be occupying positions of supervision or leadership within the unit.

Mike Johnston

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: MIKE on August 21, 2010, 12:53:30 AM
Technically you are not supposed to be appointed to FO-SFO without being in a supervisory or leadership position.

Quote from: CAPR 35-5(3) Leadership qualities. Individuals recommended for promotion to flight officer grade must be occupying positions of supervision or leadership within the unit.

There you have it! But again, it's a wash anyway, my TIG will be wiped at 21 anyway even if I was promoted.

Short Field

I guess there's a form somewhere that the Unit Commander fills out and sticks into the member file,...
CAPF 45 and CAPF 45B.  By definition, all assigned positions are leadership positions, at least that is the section you enter duty assignments in on the Fm 45.  Showing up for meetings and then just strolling around giving cadets spot inspections is not a leadership position.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

EMT-83

Yes, there is a form – Form 2, Request For Promotion Action.   

This is clearly spelled out in the regulations for all to see; it's not rocket science.

ßτε

FO, TFO, and SFO promotions are done using a CAPF 2, side 2. Also CAPF 45 should be annotated once the CAPF 2 is approved by the squadron commander. The signed CAPF 2 should be used as evidence of TIG when the member turns 21.

Remember that TIG as TFO counts toward promotion to 1st Lt, not Capt.

davidsinn

That's new. It used to say up to your 19th birthday. We were trying to recruit a cadet that was right around 18 and she couldn't get the doctors forms or something before her birthday so I confirmed what the cut off date was and it was 18 years and 364 days. But looks like the cutoff has been dropped to 18th birthday.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: davidsinn on August 21, 2010, 01:24:53 AM

That's new. It used to say up to your 19th birthday. We were trying to recruit a cadet that was right around 18 and she couldn't get the doctors forms or something before her birthday so I confirmed what the cut off date was and it was 18 years and 364 days. But looks like the cutoff has been dropped to 18th birthday.

I've never seen anyone able to join as a cadet at 18+, and everything I've seen since 2003 always placed the cut off at turning 18, not up to 19. I may be wrong. Do you have a cite? I'll be looking at this time too.

Edit:

CAPR 39-2

QuoteCHAPTER 2 – CADET MEMBERSHIP
2-1. General. Cadet membership in CAP is available to all young men and women who meet the eligibility requirements outlined in paragraph 2-2. Cadets who become members before their 19th birthday may retain their cadet status until they reach 21 years of age; however, senior membership is optional for all cadets at age 18 (see paragraph 3-5 for application procedures).
2-2. Requirements for Initial Membership. All applicants for cadet membership must meet the following prerequisites:
a.
Twelve years of age through 18 years of age. Note: Individuals applying for membership in a squadron that is participating in CAP's middle school initiative may join if they are below age 12 as long as they are attending at least the sixth grade in the appropriate middle school. These squadrons are monitored by the Cadets and Senior Member Professional Development office at National Headquarters and have a distinguishing charter number that identifies them as participants of this program.
b.
Enrolled in or graduated from a private, public, home school or college program with a satisfactory record of academic achievement.
c.
Single or married and under age 18.

I'm guessing that the 19 Years of age comment is the newest addition, and is potentially a typo...But I guess you were right sir, though some of the other statement side with me...

davidsinn

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on August 21, 2010, 01:41:32 AM
Quote from: davidsinn on August 21, 2010, 01:24:53 AM

I've never seen anyone able to join as a cadet at 18+, and everything I've seen since 2003 always placed the cut off at turning 18, not up to 19. I may be wrong. Do you have a cite? I'll be looking at this time too.

Edit:

CAPR 39-2

QuoteCHAPTER 2 – CADET MEMBERSHIP
2-1. General. Cadet membership in CAP is available to all young men and women who meet the eligibility requirements outlined in paragraph 2-2. Cadets who become members before their 19th birthday may retain their cadet status until they reach 21 years of age; however, senior membership is optional for all cadets at age 18 (see paragraph 3-5 for application procedures).
2-2. Requirements for Initial Membership. All applicants for cadet membership must meet the following prerequisites:
a.
Twelve years of age through 18 years of age. Note: Individuals applying for membership in a squadron that is participating in CAP's middle school initiative may join if they are below age 12 as long as they are attending at least the sixth grade in the appropriate middle school. These squadrons are monitored by the Cadets and Senior Member Professional Development office at National Headquarters and have a distinguishing charter number that identifies them as participants of this program.
b.
Enrolled in or graduated from a private, public, home school or college program with a satisfactory record of academic achievement.
c.
Single or married and under age 18.

I'm guessing that the 19 Years of age comment is the newest addition, and is potentially a typo...But I guess you were right sir, though some of the other statement side with me...

No I don't have a cite. They've changed it since I looked it up. What you posted is the current state of things.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Which contradicts itself...within a few lines.

MIKE

18 and 364 days is still 18.  18 and married, no dice.  17 and married fine.
Mike Johnston

davidsinn

Quote from: MIKE on August 21, 2010, 02:45:50 AM

It also says under 18. Which is 17 and 364.
Former CAP Captain
David Sinn

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: davidsinn on August 21, 2010, 03:14:52 AM
Quote from: MIKE on August 21, 2010, 02:45:50 AM

It also says under 18. Which is 17 and 364.

And above that it says "All applicants for cadet membership must meet the...prerequisites"

a2capt

We just had a cadet join, at age 18 plus a couple days. He showed up with the next day after the meeting being the last before he turned 18 and thought we were going to do it by phone with NHQ, but they said it's "through the 18th year" - hence my comment, of "joining after you've turned 19", because if you joined at up through 18, you have a choice.  After 19, and until 21, it's FO no NO.

This was just three weeks ago.