Must demonstrate ELT Search for CAPF 91?

Started by WT, May 04, 2009, 05:36:42 PM

calguy

Quote from: bosshawk on May 04, 2009, 11:55:32 PM
I rarely try to do an ELT search on a 91 check ride.  I clearly understand your concern about a pilot knowing how to do one, but logistics often get in the way.  Unless you can insure that a practice beacon is available and that someone will activate it for you, I would suggest that you either delay the ride or simply discuss the techniques with the applicant.  To me, a pilot knowing how to run the CAP FM radio and the GPS are just as important, if not more so, than knowing all the details of chasing an ELT.
This explains why so many aircrews in California cannot locate an ELT.  Just the other day, 2 different missions and two different aircrews df'ed the ELT to the wrong airports.  Of course they could not land to df the signals because they were not carrying their ground sticks.  Heck, there was a crashed airplane along the border who's ELT was going off for two days before the folks at Imperial decided to search for it.  Why?  The CD folks are told not to monitor 121.5 so that they cannot be diverted.   In California the problem starts at the top with aircrews busting airspace and almost causing a midair and  the CAWG CC  did nothing to the crew.  Next, he lets his check pilots give half ass check rides.  No wonder why we have so many accidents, violations and problems.  Were now just nothing more that a flying club with uniforms.