Cascadia Rising Exercise

Started by wuzafuzz, May 26, 2016, 09:08:32 AM

wuzafuzz

The Cascadia Rising Exercise in OR and WA is coming soon: June 7th - 10th.  Is CAP participating?  It might be a good opportunity for other wings & regions to listen on HF and relay messages if needed.  Good practice!

Here's an article about amateur radio support for the exercise. The write-up has some good non-FOUO scoop.
http://www.arrl.org/news/amateur-radio-to-play-major-role-in-june-pacific-northwest-earthquake-exercise

Potential for magnitude 9+ earthquake...wow.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

JeffDG

Yes, CAP is participating.  I know that Col Rushing (former TNWG/CC, SER/CC and current FEMA Liaison) has been working a lot on it.

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

sardak

A Google search on "Cascadia Rising CAP" turns up a CAP NHQ PowerPoint presentation near the top of the results. The file is too big to attach here.

Mike

THRAWN

Strup-"Belligerent....at times...."
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on May 26, 2016, 02:09:59 PM
Meh...talk to us when the lower part of your state liquefies...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Madrid_Seismic_Zone
TNWG has been working on that for as long as I've been a member, and it is one of our primary focal points with respect to DR training and tasking.  We have an exercise with the TN National Guard next month as a matter of fact.

C/SrA Ravlin

So does anyone know, since many of Washington and Oregon Wings personnel will not be able to access the required facilities for SAR and IC operations, Will other wings (ie Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, etc...) be able to help and be dispatched by the AFRCC? I know we can help by radio with dispatch style nets and the such but is there other ways we can help like flying sorties?
Cadet SrA Ravlin
Cadet Communications NCO
Boise RMR-ID-073
"Semper Vigilans"
www.gocivilairpatrol.com
www.boisecap.org

Eclipse

If it breaks in a bad way, there won't be a TNWG.   When the lower 1/2 of IL liquefies, TN is the drain.

Pictured: Jackson MS Police search storm drain for Tennessee residents.

"That Others May Zoom"

THRAWN

On the upside, bye-bye Indiana. Never been a fan.

This is one of those "big ones" that is often discussed and drilled, as much as it could be. It's difficult to do an earthquake drill and have to use notional "damage" that would impact the way the planet spins. I was involved in an exercise, multi state/wing/agency, about 15 years ago or so. One of the take aways that was stressed was that first response time would be measured in days if not weeks. The knees bone's connected to the head bone...when the hole opens, it's going to literally have a ripple effect across the continent.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

JeffDG

Quote from: Eclipse on May 26, 2016, 06:11:53 PM
If it breaks in a bad way, there won't be a TNWG.   When the lower 1/2 of IL liquefies, TN is the drain.

Our damage estimates, along with USGS, aren't quite that bad.   Memphis International Airport for example is spec'd to survive a 7.2, Nashville east (which is where the TNWG centre of gravity is) will survive quite nicely thank you, and we'll be in the air in an hour providing damage reports.

THRAWN

Quote from: JeffDG on May 26, 2016, 06:54:55 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on May 26, 2016, 06:11:53 PM

Our damage estimates, along with USGS, aren't quite that bad.   Memphis International Airport for example is spec'd to survive a 7.2, Nashville east (which is where the TNWG centre of gravity is) will survive quite nicely thank you, and we'll be in the air in an hour providing damage reports.

Wouldn't be the first time a US gummint agency has been wrong. As for the rest, what are tomorrow's lotto numbers? Even the "best" predictions and forecasts have been way off. Take Sandy for instance...or Iraq...
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023

Holding Pattern

Quote from: C/SrA Ravlin on May 26, 2016, 06:07:50 PM
So does anyone know, since many of Washington and Oregon Wings personnel will not be able to access the required facilities for SAR and IC operations,
First I heard of this...

Will other wings (ie Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, etc...) be able to help and be dispatched by the AFRCC? I know we can help by radio with dispatch style nets and the such but is there other ways we can help like flying sorties?
IDWG is on the list of participating agencies in the CSZ exercise.

SarDragon

Our annual exercises here in CAWG (AF observed and in-house alternating) are frequently earthquake oriented. A typical scenario is for the "event" to be in one part of the state, with the corresponding loss of capability, and responses from the other parts of the state. This tests both far away responses, and local simulated "digging out" from the event.

As for the earthquake map, there was a quake on Easter Sunday in 2010 was 130 miles from my house, and we shook a noticeable amount. In overall intensity, it was stronger than the Loma Prieta (World Series 1989), which we also experienced, 30 miles away.

This is from USGS, and is a rolling 168 hour map, covering a 2 degree by 2 degree area. My house is right by the 33 degree triangle in the center of the west edge of the map. As the week went on, the "jiggle count", as I called it, went over 2000, and didn't get below 500 for several weeks. Most of the follow-on jiggles were on the fault lines up and to the left of the big blue square.

Here's a link to the current map of the same area. Jiggle count =152, at 1600, 26 May 2016.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

wuzafuzz

wuzafuzz

Quote from: SarDragon on May 26, 2016, 11:28:30 PM
Our annual exercises here in CAWG (AF observed and in-house alternating) are frequently earthquake oriented. A typical scenario is for the "event" to be in one part of the state, with the corresponding loss of capability, and responses from the other parts of the state. This tests both far away responses, and local simulated "digging out" from the event.

As for the earthquake map, there was a quake on Easter Sunday in 2010 was 130 miles from my house, and we shook a noticeable amount. In overall intensity, it was stronger than the Loma Prieta (World Series 1989), which we also experienced, 30 miles away.

This is from USGS, and is a rolling 168 hour map, covering a 2 degree by 2 degree area. My house is right by the 33 degree triangle in the center of the west edge of the map. As the week went on, the "jiggle count", as I called it, went over 2000, and didn't get below 500 for several weeks. Most of the follow-on jiggles were on the fault lines up and to the left of the big blue square.

Here's a link to the current map of the same area. Jiggle count =152, at 1600, 26 May 2016.
Good info. Growing up in So Cal, earthquake preparedness was my intro to public safety and volunteer work. That turned into lots of time working in law enforcement, plus volunteering with CAP, and ARES/RACES.   

At any rate, I posed the initial question out of curiosity, only to see if opportunity exists for HF operators to be helpful during Cascadia Rising / Ardent Sentry.  Practice is usually a good thing  8)

Eclipse

The invasion of Vashon Island has begun!

https://twitter.com/hashtag/CascadiaRising?src=hash

#golfshirt

How many times are you going to move that antenna?  Would you just get in here and answer your cell phone!

"That Others May Zoom"

wuzafuzz

Quote from: Eclipse on June 07, 2016, 02:48:50 PM

#golfshirt
That tee shirt and ball cap should be arrested for impersonating a highlighter.

grunt82abn

Quote from: SarDragon on May 26, 2016, 11:28:30 PM

Thanks for sharing the link!!! Awesome information provided, might use this idea for next semesters GIS project
Sean Riley, TSGT
US Army 1987 to 1994, WIARNG 1994 to 2008
DoD Firefighter Paramedic 2000 to Present

THRAWN

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on May 26, 2016, 08:32:56 PM
Quote from: C/SrA Ravlin on May 26, 2016, 06:07:50 PM
So does anyone know, since many of Washington and Oregon Wings personnel will not be able to access the required facilities for SAR and IC operations,
First I heard of this...

Will other wings (ie Idaho, Arizona, New Mexico, etc...) be able to help and be dispatched by the AFRCC? I know we can help by radio with dispatch style nets and the such but is there other ways we can help like flying sorties?
IDWG is on the list of participating agencies in the CSZ exercise.

It's on slide 18. It makes sense. If the fist of the almighty smashes the northwest, CAP assets in the disaster zone will be hard pressed to make an effective showing.
AFRCC SMC 10-97
NSS ISC 05-00
USAF SOS 2000
USAF ACSC 2011
US NWC 2016
USMC CSCDEP 2023