saluting question

Started by Woodsy, June 05, 2012, 06:02:04 AM

Woodsy

This question was posed to me, and I did not know how to answer...

When operating on a mission, if a member is placed under the direct supervision of a police/fire officer superior in rank to said CAP member, such as a fire LT, Capt, chief, etc, is that member required to salute that officer?  We have many situations where CAP assets are placed inside an EOC to man a radio or supplement the mission base staff.  What is the proper way of doing things when interacting with non-military, but not quite "civilian" agencies?

RogueLeader

No. We only are required to salute real military and cap officers superior in grade.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Eclipse

Police and Fire only salute in the most formal of circumstances like graduations, funerals, or receiving a decoration, and even then it's not consistent across the board.

"Sirs" and similar never hurt anybody, of course, and its always proper to address someone by grade (i.e. Lt. Doe, Sgt Smith, Officer Johnson), however
good luck at anything over Captain.  Once you wander into oak leaves, all bets are off as to their title and position.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_ranks_of_the_United_States

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

With fire, it's a little easier:
1 bugle - Lt
2 parallel bugles - Capt
2 - 5 crossed bugles - Chief

Of course, if they're wearing a badge, their grade is generally on the badge.

PA Guy

If you saluted most most law enforcement and fire officers they would look at you with a weird look and then crack up laughing or ask you what the h### you were doing.  A simple professional greeting is sufficient.

Eclipse

^ Heh...you might get tased, or worse.  Most people raising a hand in the vicinity of a police officer are taking a swing, and
most of the "salutes" they get consist of only one finger.

"That Others May Zoom"

bosshawk

I have worked a number of large CD operations in CA, with multiple LE agencies represented.  These were usually run by one controlling agency.  Lots of brass around most of the time, including the President's Drug Czar.

My sole observation was that everyone used first names exclusively.  It is too busy to bother with titles and certainly no thought of saluting.  Only CAP would be concerned with such niceities.  The primary focus was getting the job done with the minimum of muss and fuss.

In fact, a lot of the same players were involved in multiple years of these operations and that included the Air Guard, Army Guard and the Marine Reserves, as well as the DEA.
Paul M. Reed
Col, USA(ret)
Former CAP Lt Col
Wilson #2777

Flying Pig

Heck, in LE we dont even salute each other.  Except, like what was stated earlier, in ceremonies.  But its usually for the national anthem and such.  We arent actually saluting each other. 

My Sheriff wears 4 stars.  No salute.  In Fire and LE, the ranks arent uniform and mean different things.  They just use the same symbols.  In my department the Sheriff wears 4 stars, Under Sheriff 3 stars, Asst Sheriff 2 stars.  We dont have any position with 1 star.  Below that is Captain and then Lt.  We are an 1100 man agency covering 6100 sq miles with almost 1mil residents.

The dinky little 2 sq mile city 10 miles away that has 15 officers total and population of 5000, the Chief wears 5 stars in a circle like Eisenhower.  Another local city the Chief wears one star and his Deputy wears a LTC oak leaf.  yes, you show them respect when you greet, "Hi Chief"  "Hello Sir" etc etc.  But we dont walk past and salute.

Now......that being said, I have heard and seen in states particularly back east, Troopers can be very formal.  I have heard for example that the NM State Police and MA State Police are VERY formal amongst each other but that has no bearing on anyone outside the organization.

Any state that has "Troopers" who live in "Barracks" is just cool anyway ;D

lordmonar

Quote from: arajca on June 05, 2012, 06:17:19 AM
1 bugle - Lt
2 parallel bugles - Capt

Not all FD's use that badge system.

I have seen multiple bugles....up to six for large departments.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

SARDOC

1 bugle - Lt
2 parallel bugles - Capt

That changes by department too.  Not always consistent.

Woodsy

Quote from: SARDOC on June 05, 2012, 05:28:52 PM
1 bugle - Lt
2 parallel bugles - Capt

That changes by department too.  Not always consistent.

The local fire/rescue (a rather large metro department) where I live is crazy when it comes to insignia....

bugles, ladders, axes, and a few other things I believe, depending on what you do.

Engine companies, ladder crews, paramedics, etc. all wear different insignia, though they may be equal in rank. 

Major Lord

You should only salute them if you are trying to draw sniper fire...

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Woodsy

Thanks for the feedback guys.  Your answers pretty much echo my sentiments, however, I did not want to answer his question until I had a second opinion. 

Equinox

Quote from: RogueLeader on June 05, 2012, 06:06:03 AM
No. We only are required to salute real military and cap officers superior in grade.

Don't forget Medal of Honor Recipients...and Barack.
Signature edited.  Violation of Membership Code of Conduct.

Major Lord

I won't try to pretend I did not notice the MOH recipient if I should pass him in the hallway.....

Major Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Equinox on June 23, 2012, 10:45:17 PM

That would be The President.

I don't think you referred to the last one as George, so please have the proper respect for the Office of the President that it deserves.

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: usafaux2004 on June 24, 2012, 02:49:32 AM

That would be The President.

I don't think you referred to the last one as George, so please have the proper respect for the Office of the President that it deserves.

Sir, I believe the correct term of address is Mr. President. First used by President Washington.
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

Майор Хаткевич

"Don't forget Medal of Honor Recipients...and the President".

I was correcting his blatant disrespect.

RogueLeader

Pleaded cite any CAP regulation, pamphlet etc. that requires us to salute the CiC. Cap chain of command ends with the national commander. Whether you SHOULD is another question.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Extremepredjudice

http://capnhq.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/683/~/who-initiates-the-salute

Quote(2) You salute the President of the United States, all Medal of Honor recipients, and commissioned officers and warrant officers of the Armed Forces who are senior in rank to you.

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"