Aerial Communications Platforms

Started by wuzafuzz, May 24, 2012, 09:53:09 PM

wuzafuzz

This looks like a space where CAP could provide meaningful contributions.  We can already fly VHF repeaters in some of our planes, and could easily fly repeaters for other bands with minimal modifications to our aircraft.  I already forwarded this info to NHQ.

Emphasis mine.

FCC EXPLORES USE OF EMERGENCY AERIAL COMMUNICATIONS TO ENABLE QUICK RESTORATION OF COMMUNICATIONS FOR FIRST RESPONDERS, OFFICIALS, AND THE PUBLIC AFTER A MAJOR DISASTER STRIKES

Deployable Aerial Communications Architecture (DACA) Notice of Inquiry Adopted!

Washington, D.C. – Today, the Federal Communications Commission adopted a Notice of Inquiry (NOI) to explore the use of Deployable Aerial Communications Architecture (DACA) technologies.  DACA technologies are aerial technologies such as unmanned aerial vehicles, weather balloons or existing aircraft that could provide emergency communications during or immediately after a major disaster, when terrestrial communications infrastructures may be damaged or disrupted.

"During a disaster, when the terrestrial infrastructure is unavailable, DACA technologies could provide emergency communications to first responders and possibly civil! ians" noted David Furth, Acting Chief of the FCC's Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau. "Ideally, DACA technologies could be deployed rapidly to the scene of a major disaster and enable immediate and continuous communications using the devices that first responders and other users carry with them every day until the infrastructure is restored."

Federal, state, and local governments are constantly working to improve their emergency communications capabilities when a disaster strikes. Yet there remains a gap during the first 72 hours after a catastrophic event when communications may be disrupted or completely disabled due to damaged facilities, widespread power outages, and lack of access by restoration crews into the affected area. DACA could provide temporary emergency communications to emergency management officials, first responders, critical infrastructure industr! y personnel, and the public to use their day-to-day communications devices seamlessly during and immediately after an emergency.  Most significant, the use of DACA to ensure quick restoration of emergency communications could save lives.

In its Notice of Inquiry, the Commission seeks comment on:
•        the deployment and operation of DACA technologies;
•        the associated costs and benefits;
•        coordinating and managing the use of DACA technologies; and
•        authorizing the use of spectrum to support their operation. 

The Notice of Inquiry also addresses DACA system performance issues, including questions on coverage area, capacity, interference mitigation, and interoperability. 

Public comments are due 40 days from publication in the Federal Register, and reply comments are due 60 days from publication.

Action by the Commission May 24, 2012 by Notice of Inquiry (FCC 12-53).  Chairman Genachowski, Commissioners McDowell, Clyburn, Rosenworcel and Pai.   Separate statements issued by Chairman Genachowski, Commissioners McDowell, Clyburn, Rosenworcel and Pai.
"You can't stop the signal, Mal."

Eclipse

I agree - this is a mission my wing and others in my region are already involved in.

For the most part it's an antenna and a power jack, and many aircraft require no mods at all.

"That Others May Zoom"

RRLE

I never got very far with it, but for EmComm and Amateur Radio I was looking at getting a tethered balloon. They aren't cheap but they are a lot cheaper to buy and maintain then an aircraft. And they can usually stay aloft a lot longer.

There are issues regarding altitude, especially if you are near an airport. But you can get a tethered balloon very high up if you are away from airports. Aside from the antenna, balloon and radio you need a strong tether, usually a winch to haul the balloon down and ground stakes. Add in a rented helium tank and you should be just about good to go.

bflynn

The baloon has the disadvantage of being less mobile.  The airplane has the disadvantage of being less durable.

Solar powered UAV flying at 1.3 Vso maybe? (that's a bit of dry humor)...

blackrain

Overseas they do essentially the same highbird mission for troops on the ground with much bigger and much more expensive platforms. I've always wondered if the could get away with less expensive platforms. Of course the bigger birds carry more in numbers and more powerful repeaters and LOS from the flight levels is hard to beat. Admitedly depending on the size of the comms infrastrucure damage and the sheer amount of traffic that needed to be passed CAP A/C could help plug gaps in coverage.
"If you find yourself in a fair fight, you didn't plan your mission properly" PVT Murphy