Promotion process question, bad form or not

Started by AlaskanCFI, May 06, 2009, 12:28:12 AM

AlaskanCFI

Some months back my paperwork for Major disappeared into limbo.  So did the second request.
I was looking at E-services and it says I am long since eligible, and that all that is needed is the Squadron Commanders push of a button and then the Wing Commanders push of a button.

HOWEVER,  I am the Squadron Commander in question. 

Would it be bad form, (a social phu-pa) to punch in my own approval so the dang thing finally shows up on the Wing Commanders computer? 
Major, Squadron Commander Stan-Eval..Instructor Pilot- Alaska Wing CAP
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Retired State of Alaska Law Dawg, Retired Vol Firefighter and EMT
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor
Alaskan Tailwheel and Floatplane CFI
http://www.floatplanealaska.com

arajca

It would not. It is bad form for whomever 'misplaced' your paperwork.

Presuming, of course, your talking about a Duty Performance promotion.

AlaskanCFI

Yeap, Level three long since done and double the time required at captain.

Not unusual up here.  After I became the Squadron Commander I promoted some folks who had been Senior Members for 3  plus years with all sorts of qualifications and staff positions.  Now their pay went from $0 to $00
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor

SarDragon

AFAIK, you cannot do your own approval. It's gotta be initiated at Group, and then approved by Wing.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

IceNine

Quote from: AlaskanCFI on May 06, 2009, 12:28:12 AM
Some months back my paperwork for Major disappeared into limbo.  So did the secind request.
I was looking at E-services and it says I am long since eligible, and that all that is needed is the Squadron Commanders push of a button and then the Wing Commanders push of a button.

Would it be bad form, (a social phu-pa) to punch in my own approval so the dang thing finally shows up on the Wing Commanders computer? 

What is likely happening is a similar situation that I dealt with just recently.

I assume you are putting this promotion in electronically via e-services.  I put in one of my unit commander's for promotion to maj (I'm the group commander).  The system said it required squadron commander approval before it would let me approve.  And neither myself nor the member in question could approve it.

I put in a ticket on KB and the response was "this system is flawed, and we are currently working on this issue with the contractor that built this program.  In the mean time we have processed this promotion and it should be sitting in the group commander's queue"

So basically, if you have the ability to sign it do so.  I'd call the group/cc first and talk with him.

If you don't have groups call up your wing king and talk with them.  You will likely find that it was never in the queue at the appropriate level, or that they just don't check often enough to know it was there.

The system doesn't always, as in close to never, send notification of a pending promotion.

Good luck!

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

AlaskanCFI

Actually I submitted it via the paperwork method.    We do not have groups here in Alaska, (even though we are 2.5 times larger than Texas and have more coastline than all of the lower 49 States combined)
So, I think it went off to Pacific Region....

It looks like time to try another approach.
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor

IceNine

Sounds like a conversation with your next in command.  Don't be scared ;)
"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4

LtCol Hooligan

Push the button- that's what it's there for.  Paper versions of promotions have gone the way of the dinosaur.  Unless of course you are processing a special promotion.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

Cecil DP

Quote from: AlaskanCFI on May 06, 2009, 12:28:12 AM
Some months back my paperwork for Major disappeared into limbo.  So did the second request.

CAll the Wing/DP and ask if they ever got it. BY regulation if it's disapproved it's supposed to be returned with an explanation of why it was refused. If they never got it, send it again and ask that the original date be assigned to the promotion. (I think living in Alaska you can blame  Polar bears for eating the mail). If nothing else explain that you're resubmitting the form electronically, with the original date of promotion.
Michael P. McEleney
LtCol CAP
MSG  USA Retired
GRW#436 Feb 85

SarDragon

My experience with backdating to an original submission date is oh-for-4. According to the folks at NHQ, the effective date is when they approve it, not when it was submitted.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

AlaskanCFI

Problem Solved.
I punched my own buttonn and attached a note of explaination.  It was approved by Wing today.   So the D.O.R. is now and not six months ago when the paper version was submitted the first time.   I can live with that.
Retired Alaska Air Guard
Ex-Navy, Ex-Army,
Firearms Instructor

AlphaSigOU

Congratulations to our new Major! Now you know that no promotion is ever official unless it's properly wetted down at the bar? >:D ;D
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

Short Field

The custom in the military was that the bar tab should run at least up to the first two months pay increase.  So for CAP, the pay goes from $00.00 to $000.00. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Gunner C

Spike

Quote from: Short Field on May 07, 2009, 04:18:52 AM
The custom in the military was that the bar tab should run at least up to the first two months pay increase.  So for CAP, the pay goes from $00.00 to $000.00.

Wow....when I promote, I get to pay for $880.00  I hereby END this custom.  How can I possibly spend that much on drinks and food.  Now....if my friends have to pay me in food and drinks adding up to $880.00 that is a different story. 

Short Field

No big deal as you just defer your raise for two months.   ;D  One reason most new promotees on a base throw a base-wide party at the club the day after the list comes out. 
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640