Any Lassiez-Faire Squadrons Looking For More?

Started by aestu, April 16, 2016, 12:06:40 AM

Flying Pig

Quote from: aestu on April 16, 2016, 07:19:18 PM
I just want to rack up tenure until my life changes again.

That doesn't mean a thing in CAP.

Flying Pig

So I guess it comes back to why you even want to join?  Just wait until you can participate.  In addition, you need to visit a Squadron, because you have a pretty skewed idea of what CAP is and how it works in regards to being a member.

Eclipse

Members who don't participate become administrative headaches for the commander to no benefit to either party.

A good one would get to know you over the course of several meetings, ask what you are interested in doing, and
what experience you bring to the table.  If there is a fit, he will invite you to join, if not, he won't.

There are no "mandatory" activities, unless you accept a role or responsibility that requires your presence to accomplish it,
but having said that, members who cannot participate regularly will not generally be an asset to CAP, nor will they be able to
participate in the kinds of activities most would consider valuable or worth their time.

Most new member takes 6-months to a year to be come legitimate resources (beyond intentions), that's meetings, online courses,
outside training, and proficiency exercises.  Staff jobs require various duties be completed in a timely manner, and people are waiting
for them to be done for their own experience.

It serves no one to sit on the roster writing a check, or showing up once a quarter, sitting in a meeting and not coming back for three months.
In those cases there is no personal progression or development, no opportunity for promotion or staff appointment, you won't be
able to participate in ES, etc., etc.

With more experience and qualifications achieved, it is possible to be less active and still be able to come back and catch up, but that first year,
especially, it's important to be around.  Echelons higher then the unit have different expectations, and some staff positions are more remote
then in-face, however you have to get to a point where you have the program knowledge to be of value even though you aren't around.

If there's a squadron in your area, seek them out.  If not, wait until your life changes and you can participate on a regular basis.  Few, if any,
units have activities every weekend, but most have at least one a month.  A couple of meetings and the occasional weekend isn't that much to
ask in return for the opportunities CAP affords, but not every one can do even that because of life circumstance.  No harm, CAP isn't for everyone.

"That Others May Zoom"

MSG Mac

Quote from: PHall on April 16, 2016, 05:09:18 AM
Quote from: MSG Mac on April 16, 2016, 04:32:17 AM
Before replying, give us a hint. Where are you located??

He already said he's in Ohio.

Big State, If some one asks for a unit I would like him to narrow it down to 50 mile radius before offering suggestions.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member