Complimentary membership for retiring USAF officers.

Started by afgeo4, April 24, 2007, 04:10:31 AM

Psicorp

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 25, 2007, 03:57:50 PM
Quote from: Pylon on April 24, 2007, 01:49:01 PM
If NHQ can't justify the cost of a free membership, they should think about a targeted recruiting program.

Agreed. And if not free, how about tiered based on rank?

E-1 thru E-4 25% off membership
E-5 thru E-9 50% off membership
O-1 thru O-4 75% off membership
O-5 thru O-11 Free

This is just one of many ways of bolstering our ranks with military skilled members who can impart their knowledge to our cadets and non-military members.

I'd love to see this sort of thing done mainly for the enlisted side.  Why should Officers be given a larger discount? 
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

MIKE

Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 25, 2007, 03:57:50 PMAgreed. And if not free, how about tiered based on rank?

O-5 thru O-11 Free

Shouldn't that be reversed?
Mike Johnston

Major Carrales

Quote from: MIKE on April 25, 2007, 05:29:01 PM
Quote from: mlcurtis69 on April 25, 2007, 03:57:50 PMAgreed. And if not free, how about tiered based on rank?

O-5 thru O-11 Free

Actually, this is all the more reason not to do something like that. 

Let every CAP Memeber be an equal.  Offer Prior service RETIREEs some other carrot, a better carrot. 

Allow retired CAP officers of 20 years or more CAP service get LIFE MEMBERSHIP.
"We have been given the power to change CAP, let's keep the momentum going!"

Major Joe Ely "Sparky" Carrales, CAP
Commander
Coastal Bend Cadet Squadron
SWR-TX-454

Lancer

Quote from: MIKE on April 25, 2007, 05:29:01 PM

O-5 thru O-11 Free

In the scheme of things, such as affording CAP, Y-E-S, YES, but the initial idea is to draw in the folks with 'the most bang'.

I'm not saying an E-1 has any less to offer than an O-11, in fact, in all reality, you'll probably get more 'mileage' out of an enlisted/NCO at the squadron/group level than anything a highly decorated Colonel or General could provide. Stick those folks at the Wing level to hob knob with local and state officials.

afgeo4

You guys are sort of missing the point I think.

This program is to alleviate the shortage of well qualified pilots in CAP and to improve our professional image by bolstering our numbers with experienced, skilled and well-connected officers. Another side effect would probably be an improvement in the relationship between USAF and CAP.

If we had a solid NCO program and corps I would definitely recommend doing something like this for the enlisted, but we don't. I also don't want CAP to give out thousands of free memberships a year to just about everyone who's ever put on a uniform. This would be a targeted program with specific goals in mind.
GEORGE LURYE

SarDragon

If NHQ can't justify the cost of a free membership, they should think about a targeted recruiting program.

O-5 thru O-11 Free

This is just one of many ways of bolstering our ranks with military skilled members who can impart their knowledge to our cadets and non-military members.

Why not the other way around? Give the freebie to the folks who can least afford it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

shorning

Quote from: SarDragon on April 26, 2007, 06:35:57 AM

O-5 thru O-11 Free

Why not the other way around? Give the freebie to the folks who can least afford it.

I certainly would flip that.  The way it's shown is like giving a Denny's gift certificate to Bill Gates.  Besides, you're going to give an O-1 without much to contribute a higher discount than an E-9?!?  You've got that bassackwards...

Lancer

What George is proposing is a way to bring in highly skilled former military officers to enhance our ranks and 'knowledge share' to enhance our overall membership. Doing this would also help our relationships with existing military and state and local officials, IMHO.

The only reason I suggested a tiered discount is because Mike said 'If NHQ can't justify the cost of a free membership'. There needs to be some kind of incentive to bring them on board. Figuring out what that incentive is, is what we should be discussing. Not whether a discount based on rank is fair towards the lesser paid membership of the military. If you recall, I said 'YES', that I agreed with MIKE that in the scheme of a generalized discount for military folks is a good idea.

We've really skewed this into two different topics.

fyrfitrmedic

NHQ can't even justify comping non-serial 50-year members; somehow I don't think they'd buy into this plan either.
MAJ Tony Rowley CAP
Lansdowne PA USA
"The passion of rescue reveals the highest dynamic of the human soul." -- Kurt Hahn

desert rat

Why not ask for donations to make this program a go?   I siad it before and I still say it, I would donate for this cause.   I have also offered to pay dues for members that could not afford it at my squadron.

If someone was highly involved with running a squadron, then I think the squadron should have funds to help offset or even pay the costs of membership if there is financial need.  This is what fundraising should strive for.  On the other hand, if a person does not get involved with CAP other than joining, and a few times a year show up  to a SAREX, (not contributing to the squadron function) I say they do not deserve to have help with membership fees.  We need some committment before throwing funds around.

afgeo4

What does NHQ spend on a new member? The cost of the initial welcome package? What are they REALLY losing? I propose that the membership cost would be complimentary for the 1st year. After that, all normal membership renewal costs would be in effect. The first year free is to entice them to try it.
GEORGE LURYE

Major Carrales

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 26, 2007, 07:34:39 PM
What does NHQ spend on a new member? The cost of the initial welcome package? What are they REALLY losing? I propose that the membership cost would be complimentary for the 1st year. After that, all normal membership renewal costs would be in effect. The first year free is to entice them to try it.

Why not start them in the Patron unit at $35 to observe CAP activity in their area and then make a choice to commit?  The transition to active is as easy as a fingerprint card and a transfer.  Plus, we don't need any new policy.

I still feel that if one person pays for membership (be it 25, 30, 35 or 75 dollars) it woudl be bad business to let some in for free, even with active service experience.  It might also promote a more clear division between priors and non-priors. 

Devil's Advocacy SENARIO (and just that because faith untested is never free from issues in need of resolution):

Capt Lt I. M. Awarmbody, USAF (ret) tries a unit and get full membership for no dues.  Long time squadron memebers who are active are told, "well, he's prior service...he's pays no dues... He's our messiah!!! Isn't his ribbon rack cool!!! Let make him the SQUADRON COMMANDER since he is prior service."

Some non-prior service types and those of prior service types question their membership.   Some fail to renew...citing they don't wish to be in a unit where their years of service come unrewarded.  The CAPT Awarmbody, CAP sees the unit dying and...since it was free anyway, elects not to remain active.  A unit in turmoil and a revolving door in and our of the unit.

One can excuse a person getting away with $35 for active CAP service, but what about Mr. 20 year ACTIVE CAP Officer who has done a lot of actual measurable duty to CAP and paid money ad inifinitim who still has to pay full while a "johny-come-lately" gets free pay for having done nothing for CAP?

I await commentary on this...

Commander
SWR-TX-454

RogueLeader

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 25, 2007, 04:28:31 PM

O-5 thru O-11 Free

Do they get a tote bag with their membership?...;)

And a free reversed flag if they bring in an additional person.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Al Sayre

Major C., your point is well taken.  A long time ago, I took an NRA Instructor's course and one of the things they stressed was charging for your course/time to ensure attendance.  The gist of it is if someone pays for the course, they are more likely to show up and pay attention.  In the case of a free course, they have nothing to lose by not showing up.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

afgeo4

Quote from: Major Carrales on April 26, 2007, 07:50:29 PM
Quote from: afgeo4 on April 26, 2007, 07:34:39 PM

Why not start them in the Patron unit at $35 to observe CAP activity in their area and then make a choice to commit?  The transition to active is as easy as a fingerprint card and a transfer.  Plus, we don't need any new policy.

I still feel that if one person pays for membership (be it 25, 30, 35 or 75 dollars) it woudl be bad business to let some in for free, even with active service experience.  It might also promote a more clear division between priors and non-priors. 

Devil's Advocacy SENARIO (and just that because faith untested is never free from issues in need of resolution):

Capt Lt I. M. Awarmbody, USAF (ret) tries a unit and get full membership for no dues.  Long time squadron memebers who are active are told, "well, he's prior service...he's pays no dues... He's our messiah!!! Isn't his ribbon rack cool!!! Let make him the SQUADRON COMMANDER since he is prior service."

Some non-prior service types and those of prior service types question their membership.   Some fail to renew...citing they don't wish to be in a unit where their years of service come unrewarded.  The CAPT Awarmbody, CAP sees the unit dying and...since it was free anyway, elects not to remain active.  A unit in turmoil and a revolving door in and our of the unit.

One can excuse a person getting away with $35 for active CAP service, but what about Mr. 20 year ACTIVE CAP Officer who has done a lot of actual measurable duty to CAP and paid money ad inifinitim who still has to pay full while a "johny-come-lately" gets free pay for having done nothing for CAP?

I await commentary on this...

Do you give that explanation when you see a retiree get free healthcare too? How about when they get to shop at the BX/Commissary? Do you think it's fair that veterans get preferential treatment for government jobs? How about educational benefits? Do you have a problem with those?

If anyone, ANYONE in CAP has a problem with military retirees getting a one year benefit membership in CAP for free because they served their country honorable for 20 + years you show them the door. There's no room in CAP for people who don't respect military service and those who've done it honorably and for long enough to retire. This is the AIR FORCE AUXILIARY, not your neighborhood fat hairy guy drinking beer lodge.

I'm offended by the thought and I'm not even a retiree.
GEORGE LURYE

Major Carrales

Quote from: afgeo4 on April 27, 2007, 04:48:55 AM
Do you give that explanation when you see a retiree get free healthcare too? How about when they get to shop at the BX/Commissary? Do you think it's fair that veterans get preferential treatment for government jobs? How about educational benefits? Do you have a problem with those?

If anyone, ANYONE in CAP has a problem with military retirees getting a one year benefit membership in CAP for free because they served their country honorable for 20 + years you show them the door. There's no room in CAP for people who don't respect military service and those who've done it honorably and for long enough to retire. This is the AIR FORCE AUXILIARY, not your neighborhood fat hairy guy drinking beer lodge.

I'm offended by the thought and I'm not even a retiree.

Hold on there...take no offense. 

If you are going to present these "plans," you had better cover all the angles.  I only present the issue as a problem for you to tackle....solve and move on for the implementation.

The issue is not "hating prior service," but rather hating "special privilege."

In an organization where even those that do the least, or even those that do the most, don't get monetary compensation for their service...one could see free membership as just as insulting.

Why not give a Fireman or Policeman of equal time the same?...in theory such a public servant after 20 years of service to their community in Emergency Services might warrant the same treatment in a Civilian Auxiliary of the military.  This is a slipery-slope at its best/worst.

The fact is that the "realities" of the world smack up against the best laid plans of mice and men.  You still have provided no solution/resolution to the scenario.

I'm not your enemy here...I just want your idea to be beyond reproach and free from "soft spots."  You are using the pronoun "you" as if these are my personal beliefs.  The issues here are hypothetical in nature for you to address here, amid friends, before you have to encounter them as proposed by "wolves" at a later date.

Commander
SWR-TX-454

mikeylikey

^^ Agree with the good Major above.  In fact I hate the idea of special promotions because someone comes in with a skill.  I spent more time in college than did the CFI in flight training but CAP makes him a Captain.  Reserve special appointments for those that are prior or current military ONLY.

Disclaimer:  I could have had CAPT when I rejoined as a SM, but choose to start out at the bottom.
What's up monkeys?

afgeo4

There will always be people who will be jealous of something. There will always be people who believe they deserve something that someone else deserves. As an organization we have to draw the line somewhere and then explain to everyone why the line was drawn there. I propose that the line be drawn at Retired Officers of the United States Air Force because:

1. We are the AIR FORCE auxiliary.
2. Officers offer us the skills, connections, experience, and flight hours that we so desperately need.
3. Retired members because they are looking not to be deployed again and not to have to deal with the politics of their organization (granted they would have to deal with our politics).

To be "fair" or "politically correct" we'd have to invite everyone for a free membership, but I just don't see that being smart or even possible. Nor am I "fair" or "politically correct". If you think I'm driven by personal reasons, don't. I was never an officer (I left USAFR as a SSgt) and I wasn't in long enough to retire. I am driven purely by professional (CAP) reasons. If you're worried about everyone who may be offended by this, perhaps you ought to evaluate why they're offended. Perhaps you need to tell them to stop their whining. Perhaps they aren't secure in their own accomplishments? Perhaps if they see this as unfair and unjust and say that they'll quit, you ought to reevaluate their membership and let them. We are in the business of assisting the Air Force in Missions For America and I'm sorry, but a retired USAF Lt Col knows what's needed to assist the USAF more than a 20 year veteran of a local fire department. Do firefighters have skills we could use? Sure. So do garbagemen, nurses, teachers, cab drivers, electricians, admin assistants, etc. We can't invite everyone. We need to invite USAF officers who are about to retire. This isn't for their benefit, it's for Civil Air Patrol's benefit. Hopefully they'll enjoy the organization as much as we do. Is it fair? No, it ain't fair. It's just life.
GEORGE LURYE

DNall

In a perfect world, I'd want lots of experienced enlisted troops in CAP-RAP posts, and lots of retired officers coming in as members & moving on to upper-level management.

I have nothing against the enlisted corps, nor CAP members in general, but neither produces people best prepared to comand a large organization on the strategic level.

I do think it's appropriate to offer one-year free membership to all AF personnel retiring after 20 years of service, in order to bring them on board. We discussed the same thing for active NASA astronauts in order to get them more involved with the program. I think both are very good ideas.

Discounting ongoing membership I'm less receptive to. That gives the impression people don't participate because of the high cost of yearly membership (versus all the other stuff we pay for). That's a pretty low number actually that I don't think effects anyone as far as to renew or not.