North Central Region RSC

Started by Alaric, December 21, 2014, 05:00:46 AM

Alaric

Anyone here been to the NCR RSC in Salina, KS or are going this year?

Private Investigator

No, everyone is going to Pacific Region Staff College, March 28 to April 3. Here is the link:

http://hc.pcr.cap.gov/pcrsc/

Did I mention it is in Las Vegas! Now that is fun and it is a CAP activity. So a win-win. Even my wife approved of it.  8)

Alaric

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 21, 2014, 04:32:07 PM
No, everyone is going to Pacific Region Staff College, March 28 to April 3. Here is the link:

http://hc.pcr.cap.gov/pcrsc/

Did I mention it is in Las Vegas! Now that is fun and it is a CAP activity. So a win-win. Even my wife approved of it.  8)

I'd have to take a week off of work for that. I'm off between the 24th of December and the 5th of January so I'm going to NCR.  Was just wondering if anyone had ever been to Nickell Hall and could tell me about the facilities

Johnny Yuma

Former KSWG DC and went to RSC last year.

Nickell hall has very nice lodging facilities at rates well under what you'd pay for a comparable motel. KSWG CAP and the KSARNG have a great relationship and they'll set you up with a room comparable to your grade, space available. So if you're a LTC you'll get the same room they'd give to a .mil LTC. They will likely have space in the encampment staff open bay barracks as well if you want to go the cheap route. Since its collocated with the encampment you'll also have access to the dining hall for a small fee per meal. There's all kind of dining off base as well.

Regena Aye I believe is still the Course Director this year, she was last year. She's an ex-Wing Queen and currently NCR Vice CC. Classes should be over in KSWG HQ which shares space with the guard. should be a good time had by all.
"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Armaments Chapter One, verses nine through twenty-seven:

Alaric

Quote from: Johnny Yuma on December 21, 2014, 08:17:44 PM
Former KSWG DC and went to RSC last year.

Nickell hall has very nice lodging facilities at rates well under what you'd pay for a comparable motel. KSWG CAP and the KSARNG have a great relationship and they'll set you up with a room comparable to your grade, space available. So if you're a LTC you'll get the same room they'd give to a .mil LTC. They will likely have space in the encampment staff open bay barracks as well if you want to go the cheap route. Since its collocated with the encampment you'll also have access to the dining hall for a small fee per meal. There's all kind of dining off base as well.

Regena Aye I believe is still the Course Director this year, she was last year. She's an ex-Wing Queen and currently NCR Vice CC. Classes should be over in KSWG HQ which shares space with the guard. should be a good time had by all.

Sounds like it should be good, I head out tomorrow morning on the drive to Salina

Eclipse

Quote from: Alaric on December 26, 2014, 04:30:23 PM
Sounds like it should be good, I head out tomorrow morning on the drive to Salina

At least you've got decent weather.  Kansas in Dec can be dicey.

(He said as he sits when it is warmer in Chicago then it is in Las Vegas...)

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2014, 04:58:52 PM

New Years Eve in KS for RSC? Who selected that schedule?  ::)

Alaric

Quote from: Private Investigator on December 27, 2014, 08:39:17 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2014, 04:58:52 PM

New Years Eve in KS for RSC? Who selected that schedule?  ::)

First day was great (but long).  Hats off to KSWG they must have their stuff together to host the RSC, run a PD weekend and an encampment all the same place and time.

Eclipse

^ Sounds like a good way to maximize the use of staff and facilities.

"That Others May Zoom"

rmutchler

I went to NCR RSC when it was still at Offutt AFB during the summer, but I know our Interim Wing CC is down there as an instructor.

Alaric

Quote from: rmutchler on January 02, 2015, 03:06:54 AM
I went to NCR RSC when it was still at Offutt AFB during the summer, but I know our Interim Wing CC is down there as an instructor.

She's my seminar advisor, she's awesome!

Johnny Yuma

I was running around there on Tuesday, had a sitdown with the Wing DC and with the encampment Commandant over the reorganization of the marksmanship program. KSWG had going on this week the Region Staff College, basic cadet encampment, SLS, CLC, TLC and Honor guard school.

"And Saint Attila raised the Holy Hand Grenade up on high saying, "Oh Lord, Bless us this Holy Hand Grenade, and with it smash our enemies to tiny bits. And the Lord did grin, and the people did feast upon the lambs, and stoats, and orangutans, and breakfast cereals, and lima bean-"

" Skip a bit, brother."

"And then the Lord spake, saying: "First, shalt thou take out the holy pin. Then shalt thou count to three. No more, no less. "Three" shall be the number of the counting, and the number of the counting shall be three. "Four" shalt thou not count, and neither count thou two, execpting that thou then goest on to three. Five is RIGHT OUT. Once the number three, being the third number be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade to-wards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuffit. Amen."

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2014, 05:49:05 AM

+1

Of course somebody will get credit for directing, staffing, participating, etc. So three or four checkmarks on their PD Program record.  8)

Alaric

Quote from: Private Investigator on January 03, 2015, 10:11:41 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on December 29, 2014, 05:49:05 AM

+1

Of course somebody will get credit for directing, staffing, participating, etc. So three or four checkmarks on their PD Program record.  8)

You're point?  Different people direct, staff, participate so of course they will get credit for it.  No one person would get three or four checkmarks on the same event though. 

Eclipse

∆ Actually it's fairly common.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2015, 04:54:32 AM

Cite please, if you have a participation letter that says you directed, you are not going to get credit for staffing as well

Johnny Yuma

Quote from: Alaric on January 04, 2015, 05:02:53 AM

Cite please, if you have a participation letter that says you directed, you are not going to get credit for staffing as well

No, but there's nothing saying you couldn't instruct a class or two in a SLS/CLC/ encampment while attending, or directing, an RSC. It would be simply a matter of scheduling and attendance.

" Skip a bit, brother."

Private Investigator

e.g. the PL said I directed SLS, another PL said I staffed CLC while another PL said I attended UCC as a student and got that cert too. Now I am way to cool for school. I got three done on one weekend.  8)

Eclipse

Ultimately, conference and PD credit is entirely subjective to the person approving the Form 24.  In recent years
there have been more then a few members who have received credit for being a student and instructor at a single SLS
or similar session.  NHQ has made it clear in my AOR that is verboten, but that may not be the case in other wings.

I knocked that off for sessions I had authority over, others didn't necessarily do that (expediency and avoidance of uncomfortable conversations as usual).

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

Quote from: Eclipse on January 04, 2015, 07:21:16 PM

Ultimately, conference and PD credit is entirely subjective to the person approving the Form 24.  In recent years
there have been more then a few members who have received credit for being a student and instructor at a single SLS
or similar session.  NHQ has made it clear in my AOR that is verboten, but that may not be the case in other wings.

I knocked that off for sessions I had authority over, others didn't necessarily do that (expediency and avoidance of uncomfortable conversations as usual).

Exactly, no volunteer wants to be involved in a uncomfortable conversation. So, it is what it is.  8)

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Private Investigator

^ me too. It is part of life so people should deal with it.  :clap:

lordmonar

I'm split on this argument.

On the surface....yep....you should not get a student and instructor credit for the same course.

On the other side.........if you are asked to instruct at a course.....then you should get credit for being and instructor....No?

So.....it is simple....if we don't give student and instructor credit for the same course......we don't EVER ask a student to instruct at the course he is attending.

NOW....that leads to the question.....is that policy BEST for CAP?    If Capt X is super super good XYZ at what ever he does is attending say a UCC as a student....but he is the wing's accepted expert on all things XYZ.....and there is a block of instruction on XYZ in the UCC course......is it not a good use of CAP's resources, instructor's time, student's time to let Capt X to teach the XYZ block?

So......there you go.....the paradox, Catch-22.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

RiverAux

QuoteNOW....that leads to the question.....is that policy BEST for CAP?    If Capt X is super super good XYZ at what ever he does is attending say a UCC as a student....but he is the wing's accepted expert on all things XYZ.....and there is a block of instruction on XYZ in the UCC course......is it not a good use of CAP's resources, instructor's time, student's time to let Capt X to teach the XYZ block?

Sure, its probably a great thing for the other students to hear from somebody that knows what they're talking about in that subject area, but what has the instructor of that block learned?  He hasn't learned anything knew and is akin to him just taking a smoke break during that section.  The student is supposed to be learning something in all the segments of the course. 

Some will say, "But now you want him to sit through a course taught by someone less qualified than him?  How does that make any sense?"  Well, there are a couple of benefits that may not be readily apparent
1) The person doing the teaching should be learning something while preparing and therefore is becoming more qualified and thus lessening the reliance of the wing on the top dog expert.  Thats a good thing.  Too often CAP Wings get their "go-to" guy on some issue and never both looking to see who else out there might be able to make a contribution. 
2) It really is unlikely that the "expert" really knows everything and they just might benefit from hearing someone else's take on the topic. 

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on January 05, 2015, 04:28:24 AM
So......there you go.....the paradox, Catch-22.
It's just another symptom the way CAP does PD, training, and staff appointments.

Put a new slick sleeve into a job as wing FM, and assuming he sticks, he's bound to know
more then the Capts in the room at an SLS, but since he still needs SLS he sits and
watches a Major who was grabbed at the last minutes as an instructor at something he
knows nothing about because there was a last minute opening and he need the credit.

The real fun starts when the butter bars start raising issues with the Maj and they are right -
pretty much negates the class.

Perhaps if members had to prove their were SMEs >before< getting staff jobs and being instructors.
I know, crazy.

It was made clear in my AOR, that is someone was in a PD session and was the wing's SME,
they could teach that class, but they would only get student credit the first time through.

"That Others May Zoom"

lordmonar

River Aux...NOPE.

1)   Your argument is circular.   The expert should not teach what he know, so that the teacher becomes an expert on his own and then does not have to rely on the expert...that he did not relay on.

2)  So...we don't go with the guy we "know" (as I stated my premise) is the subject matter expert...because maybe he's not and he may learn from someone else.    Okay.   Sure...maybe in is possible that some other member my teach him something.   I'll buy that. 

So like I said........then the policy is not that someone should not get credit for attending a course as both a student and an instructor.   A student should be FORBIDDEN to instruct at the course he is attending.  No matter what.

Eclipse

Actually I think yours i more circular then mine.  If only because it doesn't match CAP reality.

If we made people get trained, proficient, and prove themselves before being appointed or promoted,
then the SMEs would be grade and PD level appropriate and this would never or rarely occur.

The organizations we purport to emulate and support require instructors to be trained as both an SME and
as an instructor.

"That Others May Zoom"

a2capt

So, the typical SLS/CLC .. someone teaches one session, and sits in the rest as a student.

Completion is 80% of the curriculum.

One could very well argue that objective was met.

Now, getting staff credit for teaching a single session? I'm not overly thrilled with that. Anything more than a single of the typical segments, you'd be out on the 80% .. if the qualifier is "Pupil- eyes forward", vs "in the room" ..

It all boils down to the approver.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2015, 04:43:46 AM
It was made clear in my AOR, that is someone was in a PD session and was the wing's SME,
they could teach that class, but they would only get student credit the first time through.
And that is the part that I think is wrong, wrong, wrong.   You can't have your cake and eat it too.  You can't ask your people to do XYZ and not give them credit for XYZ.

lordmonar

Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2015, 05:08:59 AM
The organizations we purport to emulate and support require instructors to be trained as both an SME and
as an instructor.
Oh...you want to go there....:)

Eclipse

Quote from: lordmonar on January 05, 2015, 05:16:18 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2015, 04:43:46 AM
And that is the part that I think is wrong, wrong, wrong.   You can't have your cake and eat it too.  You can't ask your people to do XYZ and not give them credit for XYZ.

Meh, maybe.  This however reflects the real state of CAP.

Scylla and Charybdis - you can have Maj Slidereader wasted an hour, or the real SME provide useful info.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

Quote from: lordmonar on January 05, 2015, 04:53:01 AM
  A student should be FORBIDDEN to instruct at the course he is attending.  No matter what.

I think we're getting to the same place different ways. 

There shouldn't be just one person in your Wing or Region that is competent and qualified to teach any particular subject.  If that is the case, then the unit, wing, or region is failing in its duties. 

Eclipse

Agreed.

Also not unusual. "Competent and qualified" isn't enough.
They also have to be interested in teaching.

"That Others May Zoom"

Alaric

Quote from: a2capt on January 05, 2015, 05:13:34 AM
So, the typical SLS/CLC .. someone teaches one session, and sits in the rest as a student.

Completion is 80% of the curriculum.

One could very well argue that objective was met.

Now, getting staff credit for teaching a single session? I'm not overly thrilled with that. Anything more than a single of the typical segments, you'd be out on the 80% .. if the qualifier is "Pupil- eyes forward", vs "in the room" ..

It all boils down to the approver.

There is no 80% rule that I have been able to find, the 80% rule is for encampment.  When I was directing a CLC a guy tried to pull the 80%, I told him he'd need to be there the entire time or he wouldn't get credit

JeffDG

Quote from: RiverAux on January 05, 2015, 04:35:53 AM
Sure, its probably a great thing for the other students to hear from somebody that knows what they're talking about in that subject area, but what has the instructor of that block learned?  He hasn't learned anything knew and is akin to him just taking a smoke break during that section.  The student is supposed to be learning something in all the segments of the course. 

Well, that depends on the purpose of the training.

Is the purpose to send students out with the necessary skills and knowledge that is taught in the course, or is the purpose to teach the students things?

I contend it's the former.  So a student who is a SME on one block of the course that he is a student in already possesses the skills and knowledge taught in the course, and his "taking a smoke break" during that portion does not impair in any way meeting that training objective.