Main Menu

Staying a cadet overseas?

Started by AFCadet2011, July 22, 2014, 10:48:31 PM

AFCadet2011

I'm a cadet that has been very active in CAP since I joined at the age of 15, and I am now faced with the decision of whether I should end my cadet career now that I am 18 and out of high school, or continue on. I would love to continue as a cadet, but in a week or two I am moving to Israel to study for a year, and there are no CAP squadrons there that I am aware of (I've heard that we do have some overseas, like in Okinawa?). I believe that my DCC would not mind keeping me on the roster, but I would like to continue promoting, because I don't want to just be an empty name on a list, and I also think I would be able to eventually get my Spaatz (I'm a C/Capt now, almost at C/Maj), which has long been a goal of mine.
I also plan on continuing my participation once I get back, and I don't want to remain stagnant for a year. However, the logistics of promoting while overseas are rather complicated, so I was wondering if any of you guys had some advice, or experience with this matter. I know it may be difficult to accomplish, but I feel like there is still more that I could do in CAP, and I think I would regret leaving before I absolutely have to. Do you all think that this is feasible, or just a pipe dream?

(I do plan on talking to my DCC and Squadron CC at our weekly meeting, but this has never been done before in our Squadron, and I thought somebody on here might have a similar experience. I got the idea from a friend who moved to another state and continued promoting through her home Squadron; however, this is a lot farther away!)

lordmonar

There is (or was in the previous 52-16) a provision for cadets who moved overseas and could not participate in an overseas unit (associated with an USAF base) to continue in the cadet program.

Suggest that you ask NHQ via your chain of command to see if that program still exists and how it works.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

LSThiker

It exists still in CAPR 52-16.  NHQ determines it on a case-by-case basis.  So regardless, he will need to contact NHQ regarding the situation. 

MSG Mac

1-6. Cadets Temporarily Living Abroad. Cadets who will be living overseas and wish to remain active in CAP may join an overseas unit. If an overseas unit is not available at the cadet's location, National Headquarters may allow the cadet to progress through independent study, on a case-by-case basis. Independent study is available only to cadets who will be living abroad.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

Eclipse

Quote from: AFCadet2011 on July 22, 2014, 10:48:31 PM...in a week or two I am moving to Israel to study for a year,

Good luck, hopefully you can work something out.

If things don't quiet down over there, you might have a longer summer then you expected.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=16694

"At 12:15 EDT on July 22, 2014, the FAA issued a Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) informing U.S. airlines that they are prohibited from flying to or from Israel's Ben Gurion International Airport for a period of up to 24 hours.  The notice was issued in response to a rocket strike which landed approximately one mile from Ben Gurion International Airport on the morning of July 22, 2014.  The NOTAM applies only to U.S. operators, and has no authority over foreign airlines operating to or from the airport."

I have to hand it to you on the Chutzpah, I've resigned myself to the fact that this part of the world is one place I will never get to.

"That Others May Zoom"

AFCadet2011

Thank you everyone for the advice, and for pointing me to the right regs; I will definitely check those out! Fortunately (or maybe unfortunately depending on how you look at it) I am traveling on an Israeli airline, so it's unlikely my flight will be delayed. Either way, I'm glad I have the chance to keep up with CAP; now I just have to convince national HQ  :P

lordmonar

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

JoeTomasone

SARDOC

I'm sure that if you address this with your chain of Command that you'll find them more than agreeable to helping you through this process.