Main Menu

Simultaneous Membership

Started by alfrank.1, April 06, 2014, 06:21:30 PM

alfrank.1

Does anyone know if it is possible to a member of 2 different wings at one time?   Currently my husband and I are a part of the Colorado Wing and are moving to Prescott AZ and we still wanted to remain a part of our home unit but be active participants of the squadron in Prescott.  Is this possible?

JeffDG

Membership, no.  You have one unit of assignment.

You can, however, hold duty positions and participate in multiple units.  Provided there's no objections through the chains of command, I don't think there would be an issue.

Eclipse

Bear in mind that your CC of record will be the only person who can approve PD, ES, and promotion-related things.
As a CC, I wouldn't be inclined to handhold the career of someone active "elsewhere", nor vice-versa.

If you're moving, there's no reason not to just transfer, and if you ever move back, transfer back.

"That Others May Zoom"

arajca

Since you'll be in a different region as well as wing, the Prescott unit may not be able to look up your records or keep them updated, esp. with safety currency. corrected

a2capt

Safety is one area where anyone can be entered anywhere in the system. I've entered CAPIDs from all over for safety briefing credit.   

Spaceman3750

I would just transfer. It's two button clicks to transfer back later.

Private Investigator

Quote from: alfrank.1 on April 06, 2014, 06:21:30 PM
Does anyone know if it is possible to a member of 2 different wings at one time?   Currently my husband and I are a part of the Colorado Wing and are moving to Prescott AZ and we still wanted to remain a part of our home unit but be active participants of the squadron in Prescott.  Is this possible?

Snowbird scenario? I have seen it done both ways. With everything electronic. You can head south, September 1 and your transfer may be completed before you get there.

Welcome to CAP Talk.

alfrank.1

Its actually for my husband to attend Embry-Riddle, not for any other reason.  I guess we will wait and see if we like the squadron in Prescott as much as our current squadron.

a2capt

I kinda figured.. Embry-Riddle.. hearing "Prescott" :)

The reality of it is, if you're going to participate in the unit, you really should be on it's roster. That makes it -a lot- simpler for entries of all kinds. ES and Safety participation can be entered from outside the unit, but ES approvals can only be done by your chain of command, then one that is over in the other state you're not in.

Especially if you're a pilot, that puts hardship on the unit of record because you're not there, but your file is maintained by them. Then there are things that may also require Wing Commander approval from both wings, if out of wing participants are involved.

..and again, your unit of record is in a different wing. So, practically any time you need to use a Form 31 or 17, it would have to be signed by that unit, and not where you're attending.

Moral of the story? Transfer. If there is something you don't like, help improve it. But don't go in with "this is how we did it" .. that won't help you. :)