Main Menu

Fingerprint Cards?

Started by antdetroitwallyball, January 04, 2014, 12:36:52 PM

antdetroitwallyball

Hi There:

I already tried searching for this on these boards and on CAP's website, but had no luck.

My question is: How many fingerprint cards will I need to have made to send in with my initial application. I should back up a bit and mention that I've made contact with a few different squadrons in my area, and am "scheduled" to visit them during their meetings this up coming week. Once I find a squadron I like, I'm probably going to try and pull the trigger right away on the application process, since I know that can take some time. I'm going to have my local sheriff's office make the fingerprint cards. They are professionals at that stuff...

Which brings me to my second question: What's the typical processing time for the application/background check? After mailing in my package, when can I expect to hear back, that I've officially been approved for membership and can start participating?

The reason I ask is because when I joined the CGAUX, application time was literally about a year. Why? No one knows. Turn around time for people joining the CGAUX is much, much better now, I hear.. :)

DrKem

I suggest that you meet the squadrons first, pick one and get the necessary forms from them.  You should only need one fingerprint card.  Use the card that the squadron gives you.  As you note, go to the local police station that has fingerprinting capabilities and have them take your prints for you.  Take the completed card back to your squadron along with your completed application (CAPF-12) and a check for the dues.  Dues vary with the Wing.  Your background check time will vary but should not take more than a few weeks.
Dr. Kem Fronabarger, Major CAP
SC Wing Director of Professional Development
Certificate of Proficiency, 13 Jul 1964
Amelia Earhart Award #1105, 11 Mar 1966

Panache

We hand out two fingerprint cards and have the prospective members complete both.  This tends to drastically reduce the chances of the fingerprints being rejected because they are unreadable.

Like DrKem said, use the cards that the squadron give you.  They are pre-printed with information the FBI needs to process the check.

I say that realistic processing time is up to two weeks for you to get your CAPID number.  Realize that you can be "accepted" without your fingerprint background check being completed, and when you are in this status what you can do with cadets will be severely limited (practically nothing).  The processing time on the fingerprints depends on too many factors to guess at, many out of your control (i.e. current demand by other agencies and organizations).

Also, many squadrons will require you to attend three meetings as a visitor before you can apply.

Eclipse

You need one, and only from the unit that processes your app, but as mentioned, having a second one isn't a bad idea,
especially if the unit processes prints in-house.

Apps usually take 2 weeks to get you into pre-status and about a month for full-approval.  Anything more then that is
an issue with either funding or the background check.

During that time you can attend meetings and get acclimated.

"That Others May Zoom"

BHartman007

Protip: When you're ready to send in the application, fax the application form (not the fingerprint card) in to national, and then go ahead and mail it all in as usual. By the time your envelope makes it to someone's desk you've already been entered into the system. It can take a couple of weeks off the processing time.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

a2capt

There's also the bit about three meetings .. and I'd take that to not mean hopping around. You should attend the unit you've zeroed in on, itself, a few times, too.

Panache

Quote from: BHartman007 on January 05, 2014, 01:30:01 AM
Protip: When you're ready to send in the application, fax the application form (not the fingerprint card) in to national, and then go ahead and mail it all in as usual. By the time your envelope makes it to someone's desk you've already been entered into the system. It can take a couple of weeks off the processing time.

Will they process you without a membership fee check?

MSG Mac

Quote from: Panache on January 05, 2014, 09:45:00 AM
Quote from: BHartman007 on January 05, 2014, 01:30:01 AM

Will they process you without a membership fee check?

No!
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

a2capt

Along with the fax .. should go a credit card number, or phoned in, in conjunction with the whole fax.

EMT-83

The instructions on the form say to mail in the application and check. I bet they just love getting these in bits and pieces.

Bayareaflyer 44

Just as EMT suggests, National does not like things coming in as bits and pieces.  I have personally discussed this with them.

One of my (many) unit jobs is Personnel Officer.  I only give out one card.  I have processed many applications for folks for several years now, and yet to have a problem.  I ensure that all articles go out as a single package that is easy for National to process (application, photocopy of proof of citizenship, fingerprint card, and the all important check) and I consistently see applications processed within two weeks.

When I see the member list on our roster in eServices, I send the member their temporary CAPID, and instructions on how to get rolling in eServices.  Speeds things up for the new member.

Bottom line, based on the consistent demonstration of performance from National, I highly suggest you send everything together.

Earhart #2546
GRW     #3418

SarDragon

+ 1,000.

I processed member applications at the unit level for about ten years, and am the local fingerprint guru. The process hasn't changed much in all that time.

There's a checklist in the back of CAPR 39-2 (Attachment 4) that gives the specific steps necessary to insure prompt processing of the application. Use it. Make sure the person processing the application uses it.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

PHall

The one thing that would make the application process much easier.

Find a way to use Live Scan  vs the cards.

Live Scan seems to be the accepted norm for fingerprints for everybody else including law enforcement. Why not us?

Eclipse

Getting to Livescan on the input side wouldn't be an issue, on the output side, would.

Can Livescan go direct to the FBI?

"That Others May Zoom"

BHartman007

I'm not saying fax the application, and then mail the rest. I'm saying fax the application, and then mail all of it. We were told to do this by the lady at national to speed the process, and it does.

Wing Assistant Director of Administration
Squadron Deputy Commander for Cadets

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on January 05, 2014, 07:15:58 PM
Getting to Livescan on the input side wouldn't be an issue, on the output side, would.

Can Livescan go direct to the FBI?

It Depends on where you get them done.  I know in my state, Law enforcement agencys use live scan and they get run through the state Criminal Information network which it connected to the FBI Database for Criminal record searches.

Panache

Quote from: Bayareaflyer 44 on January 05, 2014, 05:11:38 PM
Bottom line, based on the consistent demonstration of performance from National, I highly suggest you send everything together.

Our new members knew they were members before we did because they got an e-mail from NHQ with their CAPID number and log-in instructions to eServices.