Main Menu

Question

Started by abdsp51, January 13, 2012, 08:51:39 AM

abdsp51

Here's a question.  I am considering getting back into CAP, this time as a senior member.  I know that records are not required to be held for over five years by my last unit.  If I have the documentation such as a certificate for previously awarded decorations/awards would I be able to wear them upon said documentation being presented?  And for additional information my membership expire I want to say back in 98 or 99, so I have more than a two year break.   

SarDragon

I had a six year break, and they took all of my olde stuff. But that was back in the '80s. I just recently got my record updated to include two encampments from back in the day.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

abdsp51

Hell I think I have the paperwork awarding my red service and everything else.  It seems like the encampment ribbon is a debate, I'm not so much concerned with those aspects but as my major ones.

Pylon

If you have documentation, you can wear it.  Your decorations, awards, etc. don't "reset" just because you had a lapse in membership.  For example, if you went to an encampment 15 years ago, you still rate the ribbon.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

Eclipse

For anyone who was a member in the last 20 years, the odds are very good you would receive the same CAPID - since you have some certs, that will help, and you can make sure to note on the application "FORMER MEMBER" with your old CAPID.

That insures any longevity awards you may have received in the past would still make sense.

Decorations are permanent, but commanders have a responsibility to have people substantiate their claims, and there's various ways to do that -
direct substantiation ("Here's my Mitchell cert..."), common sense ("Here's my Mitchell cert, so obviously I was in at least two years and had at least one encampment...), and even an affidavit from you or other members ("I was his CC and awarded him the Comm Comm...").

Once established, your CC can also send NHQ update / correction memos for your files to get things into the permanent record (though they like real substantiation).  I've done this personally for myself and others.

First thing would be to re-up and see where you land, then put together what you know you earned and see what you have to substantiate it.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

CAP ID no longer have that hell I do not even remember the old unit Charter number.  I do have alot of the other paperwork though, though no proof of encampment though my Mitchell should suffice for that correct?

Eclipse

NHQ will have your CAPID since your SSN has not likely changed.

I would certainly accept a Mitchell as proof of at least one encampment.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

I'm a firm believer in giving back to sources I benefitted from, and CAP was one of them.  Now that it looks like I'll have some free time on my hands and not as much of a heavy duty load it's something I'm pitching around.  Having been blown off by the local JROTC units well maybe CAP can benefit more. 

ol'fido

I went through my 201 the other day and still have some travel orders from a group of us going to Scott  AND for uniforms. My rank was listed as c/2nd.I don't remember exactly but I think that was two stripes(?).
Lt. Col. Randy L. Mitchell
Historian, Group 1, IL-006

abdsp51

Any know off hand how I can track down a couple of members who would be able to to do a statement or something for a dec.  The names are Larry Bevis and Lori Noyes.

Eclipse

Ms. Noyes is now a Lt. Col., once you rejoin you'll be able to look up her contact information directly.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

She was a LtCol when I left the unit in 97. 

Duke Dillio

Just an FYI but when I had a break in service in 2004 or so, my encampment showed up on eServices when I came back.  National should have a record of your completion.  As for decorations, good luck as it does not seem that National tracks those...

Brad

We had a Lt. Col. rejoin in 2007 after a somewhat long break in service, I think he left back in the early to mid 90's. Took a little while but he got his awards and his rank back up to current. Even got his Level V last year.
Brad Lee
Maj, CAP
Assistant Deputy Chief of Staff, Communications
Mid-Atlantic Region
K4RMN

abdsp51

I'm working on getting whats needed.  Hopefully my old records are still at my last unit if not then I'll work with what I got.

ColonelJack

When I rejoined in 2009, my Wilson (#1366) showed up on eServices almost automatically (I didn't send them anything).  My CC then authorized the wear of the other training awards, figuring (correctly and most logically) that if I had the Wilson and eServices showed it, I had also obviously earned the Garber, Loening, Davis, Membership, etc.

Sometimes logic alone is all you need.  Sometimes.

Jack
Jack Bagley, Ed. D.
Lt. Col., CAP (now inactive)
Gill Robb Wilson Award No. 1366, 29 Nov 1991
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
Honorary Admiral, Navy of the Republic of Molossia

bassque

I rejoined June of 2011 after being gone since 1996.  National had most of my records including my Mitchell, 2 of the 3 encampments I went to, and my Unit Citation.  But they didn't have any ES records so all of my SAR and Find accolades I'll have to essentially redo. 

EMT-83

NHQ doesn't track Find awards.

ProdigalJim

My cadet time was 1979 to 1983. I had a Mitchell and an Earhart, three encampments aand our sqdn arned three unit citations during my time there. I just came back in about 11 months ago. At first, I couldn't find any paper of any kind...NHQ tried looking up my cadet awards by my social security number...no soap. One of the people in the NHQ PA shop found an old, hardbound volume of CAP News archive copies, and located the issue in which my Mitchell was reported, along with my sqdn charter number. Boom, Mitchell goes in to eServices.

I found my Mitchell, and three encampment certs, sent those along and those went into my eServices record.

Nothing else, though. My Cadet squadron no longr exists, the records are gone, so I think I've reached the limits of my archaelogical reconstruction...

My CC did, however, approve a Red Service Ribbon, based on the obvious deduction that a Mitchell plus three encampments is worth at least two years.
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...

abdsp51

Would NHQ be able to look back and when my original app was done?

Eclipse

Quote from: abdsp51 on January 16, 2012, 10:52:13 PM

If they are able to find your CAPID, then it will most likely have your original join date.

"That Others May Zoom"

abdsp51

Great,  I don't recall that info anymore but I will ping them and see. 

SARDOC

Quote from: Eclipse on January 16, 2012, 10:55:19 PM
Quote from: abdsp51 on January 16, 2012, 10:52:13 PM

If they are able to find your CAPID, then it will most likely have your original join date.

They really should.  I had an 18 year hiatus and got my old CAPID and original Join Date in eServices.