Need assistance in providing Level I to new members.

Started by afgeo4, August 14, 2011, 07:25:09 PM

afgeo4

My squadron just had a large and successful open house event and was able to recruit a good quantity of seniors and cadets. A couple of our new senior members have nor regular access to the internet and their skill level with it just isn't that good, so to accommodate them, I would like to teach CPPT, Basic Safety, OPSEC and Foundations in a classroom setting and then have the testing officer give out the proper quizzes and log the completion into the system myself. OPSEC and Basic Safety classes would also include the new cadets.

Unfortunately, I simply don't see any materials/procedures for this. All I can find is instructions for members to do it themselves, online. Can anyone help or should I just tell these people that they're SOL?
GEORGE LURYE

a2capt

If your in the San Diego area next weekend ... you could see how we're going to do just that. :)

Here's our schedule in works so far:

08:00 – 09:00     History and Organization
09:00 – 09:10     Break
09:10 – 10:10     Uniforms
10:10 – 10:20     Break
10:20 – 11:20     Customs and Courtesies
11:20 – 12:50     LUNCH
13:00 – 14:00     Core Values
14:10 – 15:10     Policies
15:10 – 15:20     Break
15:10 – 16:10     Leadership

Some may need less, some will have an easy setup, etc. OPSEC will be worked in, Safety has to be done online, but getting eServices setup will be gone over. Cadets can have Introduction to CAP Safety entered in eServices, but seniors have to do it online themselves, except that there was a six week period where it was open for both.

afgeo4

Quote from: a2capt on August 14, 2011, 08:04:43 PM
If your in the San Diego area next weekend ... you could see how we're going to do just that. :)

Here's our schedule in works so far:

08:00 – 09:00     History and Organization
09:00 – 09:10     Break
09:10 – 10:10     Uniforms
10:10 – 10:20     Break
10:20 – 11:20     Customs and Courtesies
11:20 – 12:50     LUNCH
13:00 – 14:00     Core Values
14:10 – 15:10     Policies
15:10 – 15:20     Break
15:10 – 16:10     Leadership

Some may need less, some will have an easy setup, etc. OPSEC will be worked in, Safety has to be done online, but getting eServices setup will be gone over. Cadets can have Introduction to CAP Safety entered in eServices, but seniors have to do it online themselves, except that there was a six week period where it was open for both.

Are you using any particular PPT's for it? All I have is the CAP Safety PPT. I can't find the OPSEC, CPPT or Foundations material anywhere.
GEORGE LURYE

a2capt

The Foundations stuff is basically, use these six modules, and discuss them. Since it's "Open Book" material, we're going to make it more open forum, with the instructor for each session using the module as the outline, then with the provided quiz, we can complete a Form 11 at the end, just the same way we'd be doing it after the CPPT scenario discussion.

http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/level_i_foundations.cfm
http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/level_i_foundations_course.cfm

https://tests.cap.af.mil/opsec/main.cfm - OPSEC, download the video, and use that in a group setting, it can be done in just a few minutes, and using a log sheet, you can enter each attendee in eServices directly after the session, or with an open internet connection at the time of the training, just re-use the final screen of the training for each attendee.

RADIOMAN015

Quote from: afgeo4 on August 14, 2011, 07:25:09 PM
My squadron just had a large and successful open house event and was able to recruit a good quantity of seniors and cadets. A couple of our new senior members have nor regular access to the internet and their skill level with it just isn't that good, so to accommodate them, I would like to teach CPPT, Basic Safety, OPSEC and Foundations in a classroom setting and then have the testing officer give out the proper quizzes and log the completion into the system myself. OPSEC and Basic Safety classes would also include the new cadets.

Unfortunately, I simply don't see any materials/procedures for this. All I can find is instructions for members to do it themselves, online. Can anyone help or should I just tell these people that they're SOL?
So lets see your unit has recruited a couple of adults that don't know how to use a computer :o, and now has to make special allowances for their lack of ability/capability that one needs to be successful in CAP as an adult member???  Are you sure they know how to read & comprehend at an acceptable level ???
See:
http://www.capmembers.com/cap_university/level_i_foundations.cfm

The simple steps are listed.  BTW 4 of 5 requirements need to be done on line by the individual adult member.   The 5th module, surely could be printed out.  They could read it at home, take the quizzes and return to the unit for debrief.

The way CAP is set up today, you need access to a computer, either at the unit, at the local library, or some sort of personal device to access the internet in order to function in any CAP unit staff position effectively & efficiently.    Even for simple squadron notifications, electronically is best and most efficient/effective. 

So good luck, hopefully those members will be able to contribute more to the program than it will cost the unit in time to administer their membership. 

RM 

EMT-83

Quote from: RADIOMAN015 on August 14, 2011, 10:14:12 PMBTW 4 of 5 requirements need to be done on line by the individual adult member..

OPSEC, EO and Safety are completed on line.

CPPT and Foundations are completed face to face, along with the Summary Conversation.

I guess that's more like 3 out of 6, not 4 out of 5.

But why not complete them in a classroom setting? That's got to be better than click and point.

a2capt

OPSEC can be completed in a classroom setting, too, and bulk entered into eServices. EO is completed similar to OPSEC, and with some slight manipulation (read: Keep the URL handy), one can use an internet connection to have each one enter their SSN, CAPID and last name without doing the training online each time, after it was gone over in a classroom setting. The same could be done for OPSEC, too, but since there is an OpsQuals method and Commanders Corner, there's no need for that.

So that just leaves Introduction to CAP Safety as one that has to be done online, unless it's cadets. That can be entered through Cadet Promotions, in the same place CD and CPFT results are entered in bulk. Though I'll tell you that it's still broken, and really only works if the cadet has not earned Curry yet. :)  .. even though they have "six months" by the books, to get this stuff done. It's a whole lot easier to get it done for that first stripe, administratively.

Rowan

There is a paper test for the Intro to CAP Safety, too.

jeders

If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

a2capt

^^ As I said in similar words in two other posts. There was an about six week window where seniors could be entered too, but it's only cadets.