Is GSAR about to get its due in CAP?

Started by RiverAux, January 21, 2013, 06:12:51 PM

FW

Quote from: NavLT on January 29, 2013, 09:31:18 PM
Even if CAP is "on the list", decision makers have the ability to not call us.

The most important issue is to make sure that you have the marketing and the ability to provide what you market.

You absolutely need an agressive program of marketing the ES capabilities with the local government customers but you also need to make sure that you recruit for and conduct local training that is realistic and involves managment and field operations and then finish with the retention plan of post mission(Real and Training) critiques and internal marketing of our responses.

Lt J

Yes, indeed.  And, it takes real committment from the members who wish to engage with county EMA's in a real dialogue.  There are many opportunities which can be exploited however, we must be proactive. Most, if not all, wings already have proper MOUs to conduct GSAR/DR in their respective states.  That should not be an issue.  I think we need to (as said above) participate/train with local EMAs and other responders more.  As well as be a regular "seat" at the table.  There are already wings with such presence.  We need to build on the success of these wings and, have NHQ develop a model for all wings to better participate. 

Oh, and by the way; During Sandy, FEMA authorized big bucks for CAP to engage in DR/GSAR activities.  Katrina was the same. I can think of missions going back to the Mississippi floods of the 90s. There is a long list of major ground missions that have taken place over the last 20 years where CAP was involved.

JayT

Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2013, 08:19:33 PM
We should be enough of the landscape that we are part of the package, regardless of who is calling.

That has to happen at the national or regional level, anything lower and the response stay ad hoc like it is today.

Should is the key word there. As mentioned previously, if CAP can't reliably deliver when called upon or meet it's MOU's, then nobody is going to bother with that phone call.
"Eagerness and thrill seeking in others' misery is psychologically corrosive, and is also rampant in EMS. It's a natural danger of the job. It will be something to keep under control, something to fight against."

Eclipse

Quote from: JayT on January 29, 2013, 10:14:18 PM
Quote from: Eclipse on January 29, 2013, 08:19:33 PM
We should be enough of the landscape that we are part of the package, regardless of who is calling.

That has to happen at the national or regional level, anything lower and the response stay ad hoc like it is today.

Should is the key word there. As mentioned previously, if CAP can't reliably deliver when called upon or meet it's MOU's, then nobody is going to bother with that phone call.

I agree - but where does the leadership and direction come from?  I would argue NHQ from the top down.

Similar organization:

Define the customer.  <---  CRITICAL
Define the scope and mission.  <--- Also CRITICAL
Define the abilities. <--- Also CRITICAL
Direct fulfillment.
Re-mediate the problems, including disciplinary action and termination for non-performance.  <--- Also CRITICAL x10

That's what we need.

One of the challenges we have is the inability of both our membership and especially former and non members who believe they "know",
to get past what happened "before", and start working on what should happen "now".

Just like every other agency and similar organizations, we have had a fair history of success, sometimes planned, sometimes by circumstance, we've failed on occasion, and have had out share of marginal leadership and 1% goobers who get in the way of the majority of the membership who are competent and invested in the whole.

There isn't a single organization on this planet, military, civilian, or otherwise can say the above doesn't apply to them, yet again,
those who "know", especially former members with a local, specific ax to grind, continue to posit that CAP is somehow "different" from
the community in which it exists and the general population which comprises its membership.

"That Others May Zoom"

RiverAux

They key thing that we always forget when discussing GSAR is that if a mission comes up, it is something that the whole wing should be involved in.  We don't expect the local unit to handle an Air SAR case in their area by themselves,  we bring in planes from all over the wing.

We should be looking at GSAR the same way.  Sure, it will take a little longer to spool up resources from the other side of the state, but at worst they would show up bright and early the next day. 

So, lets not get all caught up in worry about the ability of your local unit to commit to GSAR missions to the local county.  The big benefit of CAP is that we can bring in resources from outside the area to help them out.  Yeah, your 7 person GT from your home squadron isn't going to impress anyone, but tell them that you have access to 200 from around the state, and you might make an impression. 

Eclipse

^+1 one.

Just because your "unit" is incapable, doesn't mean the "wing" is as well.  The CAP I've been a part of has never had localized response
as part of the plan, but at the wing-level we can put 150+ experience and proficient people on scene in 8-24 hours for little to no cost.

Few other similar organizations can say that.

"That Others May Zoom"

Walkman

Quote from: RiverAux on January 29, 2013, 10:38:31 PM
They key thing that we always forget when discussing GSAR is that if a mission comes up, it is something that the whole wing should be involved in.  We don't expect the local unit to handle an Air SAR case in their area by themselves,  we bring in planes from all over the wing.

We should be looking at GSAR the same way.  Sure, it will take a little longer to spool up resources from the other side of the state, but at worst they would show up bright and early the next day. 

So, lets not get all caught up in worry about the ability of your local unit to commit to GSAR missions to the local county.  The big benefit of CAP is that we can bring in resources from outside the area to help them out.  Yeah, your 7 person GT from your home squadron isn't going to impress anyone, but tell them that you have access to 200 from around the state, and you might make an impression.

Agreed! I'm rather lucky in that situation in that within 1.5 hours of our unit base there are at least 5 other units that have some GSAR personnel. I'm using that as part of my "marketing plan". Plus, MIWG is very active overall in the state with ES and has a good rep.

Right now, since we've had no real ES program in the unit for a number of years, I'm focusing on building trained people first. Once I have a core group of people trained and committed, I'll start meeting with the local EMAs, knowing I'll also have this expanded group around me to add to the mix. Building relationships will be the key at that point.

As I'm thinking about it, it seems to be more of an agency relationship issue hindering GSAR rather than funding. Outside of issuing gear, the costs of GSAR training are pretty low. I can put together a weekend FTX and do GTM3 taks and a sortie, have everyone pony up $10 for food and we're good to go. I don't mind putting a half tank of gas in the truck for an FTX and not get reimbursed. How would more funding make a bigger difference?

Agency relationships also overcome the problems we encounter with perception. Younger cadets and people in a variety of uniforms and gear don't matter when you've developed a solid relationship with the locals and they know you've a good asset. BUT, the key is you have to put your best foot forward in the beginning. First impressions matter.