Main Menu

Leadership positions

Started by Frost02, April 12, 2019, 06:27:37 PM

Frost02

Within my squadron we just recently underwent a change of command on the senior side, our 1st sgt has been in the position for 1.5 years under the command of the old commander. Now the new commander is his dad. This is a problem becuse this 1st sgt is not a leader he is a boss whonis rude and selfish toward other cadets and it has been noted by SMs but norhing changed. How can we go about fixing this without goimg to a higher authority

Eclipse

Well, you don't start by calling out your squadron in a public forum, that's for sure.

As you get older, you will learn that much of life is out of your control, and all you can really
do is react well to a given situation. How you react and behave in the face of disappointment
or frustration is more important then how you act when things go your way.

Prepare yourself for roles that may come open, act professionally and do your CAP job well
(which as a cadet is primarily focused on your own progression), and don't be "that guy"
who complains constantly.

With that said, if there are legitimate concerns about leadership issues, you should involve
your parents in a private discussion with the Commander, being ready to accept the fact that
CAP generally gives Commanders a lot of latitude, and will tell you that "poor leadership"
or "command prerogative you don't agree with" are not grounds for a complaint in and of themselves.

Further, one could certainly raise the issue of why a cadet has been the Shirt for a year and a half
with no apparent change in sight, as that would mean he is not progressing himself, and therefore setting
a terrible example as a leader in the unit.

"That Others May Zoom"

Frost02

My apologies, that was the point of the post. Hes made no improvements and its affecting the squadron as a whole.

PHall

You know, nuking your post is a no-no here. You want a post to go away, ask a mod to do it.

CAP9907

Please PM me as to why I should not restore your post. Thanks

~9907, Moderator team
21 yrs of service

Our Members Code of Conduct can be found here:   http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=13.0

SarDragon

Too late.

I think we're done here. Resolve otherwise via PMs.

Click.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret