Main Menu

Cadet Safety Officer

Started by link, November 13, 2007, 09:04:42 PM

link

I've been checking the regs but I can't seem to find any mention of a Cadet Safety Officer.  Is there actually such a position or is it something that varies from wing to wing.

BillB

If it's not in 20-1, there is no such animal. However there is nothing to stop a Commander from creating the position, which is authorized in 20-1.
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

mikeylikey

I suggest creating it.  It is another good position for mentoring!
What's up monkeys?

mdickinson

In our wing there are several squadrons that have appointed a cadet safety officer. It seems like a good idea. Any mature cadet could do a good job in this position - especially one who is a private pilot or a student pilot.

One caution: CAPR 62-1 requires that every squadron have a safety officer who is a senior member. So if the squadron appoints a cadet safety officer, s/he must be in addition to that person, not instead of.

If you have a cadet safety officer, encourage him or her to enroll in the AFIADL correspondence course "CAP Safety Officer." It is a short but useful course. (Cadets can enroll in AFIADL courses once they have earned their Mitchell.) Instructions on how to enroll are available at http://cap.mdickinson.com/safety_course.htm

Fifinella

In my squadron, we have cadets "shadowing" most duty positions, including Safety Officer.  They are to assist the S'Members in those duties, and learn about the position and its responsibilities.  The S'Members are ultimately responsible for the work.
Judy LaValley, Maj, CAP
Asst. DCP, LAWG
SWR-LA-001
GRW #2753

mprokosch11

I was the cadet safety sergeant  for my squadron about 2 years ago. The position makes the Senior Member Safety Officer's job easier.

When I was the safety sergeant, the Senior Member would tell me I had to come up with a safety briefing for the following week. It is a good idea because it gives lower ranking cadets a job, not just be inflight.
C/Capt Matthew A. Prokosch, CAP
New York Wing
Utica Cadet Squadron (NER-NY-162)

link

Thanks for the input.  This is about a cadet in our unit who since he's become a sgt thinks that he's the best thing since sliced bread.  He wants to be either a Cadet Safety Officer or the Cadet Aerospace Education officer.  Over the past year he's started to demonstrate an attitude that he's entitled to more just because of what he's achieved.  He doesn't quite understand that responsibility must be earned. 

jimmydeanno

I think I would recommend that the cadet becomes a Cadet Officer before assuming the role of "Cadet Aerospace Education Officer" or "Cadet Safety Officer."  52-16 Strongly Recommends that cadets be C/2d Lt --> C/Lt Col for those positions.

If the cadet has an ego, why reward that with the creation of a position just for them?  If he truly is the greatest thing since sliced bread, he should have his Mitchell in no time.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

mdickinson

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 14, 2007, 08:48:13 PM
I think I would recommend that the cadet becomes a Cadet Officer before assuming the role of "Cadet Aerospace Education Officer" or "Cadet Safety Officer."

I would second that.  Until a cadet has passed the Mitchell, their energies should be put towards passing the Mitchell, not towards non-required squadron staff duties.

Once they become a cadet officer, then it's time to start thinking about cool outside-the-box responsibilities they can take on such as cadet AE or safety officer.

link

I've told him that.  But it's been discussed with him before for down the road (once he's got his Mitchell) but he thinks that we seniors are over burdened.  He doesn't quite get the Cadet Officer is being of asisstance to the Senior Member in the role. 

I wish he would get his Mitchell but he has a few stumbling blocks getting there.  He won't put in the time and effort on some requirements. 

Psicorp

Quote from: link on November 15, 2007, 02:23:00 PM
I've told him that.  But it's been discussed with him before for down the road (once he's got his Mitchell) but he thinks that we seniors are over burdened.  He doesn't quite get the Cadet Officer is being of asisstance to the Senior Member in the role. 

I wish he would get his Mitchell but he has a few stumbling blocks getting there.  He won't put in the time and effort on some requirements. 

And he wants yet another responsibility to slack on? 
Jamie Kahler, Capt., CAP
(C/Lt Col, ret.)
CC
GLR-MI-257

Does he think he's doing his current job well?

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

link

He actually does.  Like I said he thinks he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. I wish he understood that great leaders don't seek power (authority) but they have it thrust upon them. 

Maybe it's time for someon to get a wake up call.

1st Lt Ricky Walsh, CAP
Boston Cadet Squadron
NER-MA002 SE, AEO & ESO

rdmcii

Yeah I know this is an old thread but I thought it was worth mentioning from the CAP Master Safety Course:

Cadet safety officers should be involved in and work with you in ORM at cadet activities and at your local unit, as well as with any recommendations.
Successfully mentoring a cadet safety officer in ORM and accident prevention will provide an avenue for cadets to emulate a peer in safety awareness and prevention.

mdickinson

I attended the NER conference last weekend and Maj Gen Courter was there. In her remarks during the morning assembly, she said that CAP is instituting a new policy that every unit must appoint a cadet safety officer.

If I understood correctly that means that every flight, squadron, group, and wing (with the exception of senior squadrons) will have a cadet safety officer, who will (1) assist the unit's safety officer in whatever way possible and (2) focus on reducing risk in cadet activities and educating cadets on safety.

It will be interesting to see whether the appointment of thousands of additional cadet safety officers across the country makes a difference in the number of cadet injuries at the end of 2011.  If it does make a difference, it could be a good thing for CAP.

Ned

Quote from: mdickinson on November 16, 2010, 04:26:38 PM
It will be interesting to see whether the appointment of thousands of additional cadet safety officers across the country makes a difference in the number of cadet injuries at the end of 2011.

Not to mention senior member injuries, and vehicle and aircraft mishaps.

Motivated cadets are a powerful source of Good.

Ned Lee

coudano

it won't matter
the cadet safety officer is going to wind up getting 'appointed' to fill a requirement
the duties of the cadet safety officer practically are going to be to pass around and collect the roster at the monthly safety briefing and give it back to the senior member counterpart

just honestly, that's how i see it playing out at my squadron...
and we'll actually make an effort to comply with directive by appointing someone
a lot of units won't.

that said "everyone is a safety officer" and our unit generally has a safety culture
i make my cadet officers do an ORM for every activity they plan and execute.
that culture and procedure is what is going to make CAP safer,
not paperwork and staff billets.

Hawk200

While I was at Eustiss, I read the commanders safety letter. I found the way he worded things to be the best way to treat the issue: "As the commander of this company, I am responsible for the safety of every soldier in my command. I hereby appoint all individuals in my command as my assistants."

I thought it covered everything nicely. Titles are just titles, but expecting everyone to contribute in something as important as safety is an attitude that we should all ascribe to.

a2capt

Our unit has had a cadet counterpart to most every office, as interest waxes and wanes in that particular functional area, though Safety in particular is always staffed. So this will be nothing new for us at least. We already do it. :)