Main Menu

Field First Aid Kit

Started by Major Carrales, December 16, 2006, 08:22:27 PM

flyerthom

A good kit from somewhere like galls.com would be good. That being said don't waste time or space on beta-dine or alcohol preps.  Unless you're planning on giving injections (not likely) they are just space hogs. In addition the preps over a wound cause chemical damage to already injured tissue, and they cause undue pain. A good hand sanitizer or even baby wipes will clean much better over more surface area and with better effect. Plus you can use it yourself after removing your gloves.

At work we've gone from alcohol preps to a special no alcohol wipe for all IM injections and IV starts. It cleans better and doesn't damage the skin tissuse as much.
TC

SARMedTech

One of the best things you can get is called a START kit (Simple Triage and Rapid Treatment) they run about $175 for the START 2 model and are worth every penny. This is what I carry in my field pack and so far havent needed anything that I didnt have. I havent looked at the kit in awhile, but some good skin closers (little tape strips that sort of act like temporary sutures) are also a good idea. They will help to hold closed a fairly decent laceration and when combined with pressure bandages and some kling tape are outstanding for bleeding control

SARMedTech, NREMT-B, EMT-B/D
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SARMedTech

Quote from: flyerthom on December 21, 2006, 12:08:14 AM
A good kit from somewhere like galls.com would be good. That being said don't waste time or space on beta-dine or alcohol preps.  Unless you're planning on giving injections (not likely) they are just space hogs. In addition the preps over a wound cause chemical damage to already injured tissue, and they cause undue pain. A good hand sanitizer or even baby wipes will clean much better over more surface area and with better effect. Plus you can use it yourself after removing your gloves.

At work we've gone from alcohol preps to a special no alcohol wipe for all IM injections and IV starts. It cleans better and doesn't damage the skin tissuse as much.

A few betadine or alchohol preps take up virtually no room in a kit and the research shows that the "tissue damage" done to an open wound by alcohol is minimal at best and there isnt any realy conclusive researach talking about betadine or povidone iodine. BZK towelettes are the no alcohol ones you are talking about and make good all purpose wipes and dont tend to sting. As for using hand sanitizer to clean a wound, this sort of negates the idea of not using alcohol since they are pretty much all alcohol in gel form plus some perfumes and things that I wouldnt want put on my patients cuts and the baby wipes might be good for cleaning yourself up, but they also have lanolin and sometimes even glycerin in them, neither of which you want in an open wound. I think probably the BZK towelettes available at most drug stores and now in most first aide kits are your best option. As far as cleaning your own hands after dealing with blood, if you should happen to breach a glove somehow, you want alcohol so the baby wipes are not somthing that I would recommend as most of them are alcohol free. Here is where you want the alcohol/gel sanitizer, one of the new santizing foams that are out there or just plain old isopropyl alcohol.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

SarDragon

FYI, I keep Wet Ones in my gear for minor cleansing purposes, and the first two ingredients are water and SD40 alcohol. The "juice" doesn't seem to have adverse affect on wounds (other than a little sting), and they do a decent job of removing most common mung and drool for skin.

YMMV.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

SARMedTech

I meant to indicate that often baby wipes have lanolin and other lotions in them to help soften your baby's backside, so that if you are going to use them, you would want to be careful which ones you get. Also a nice sealable biohazard bag would be a good addition because  in a lot of cases (really you should in all situations) you gotta pack out whatever you bring in and you probably dont want to just throw biohazards back in your kit.  Just a thought. ;D
"Corpsman Up!"

SarDragon

Gotcha. Just checked the label again and saw the lanolin way down at the bottom. Must not be a lot because it doesn't bother my skin. Waterless hand cleaner with a lot of lanolin causes "acute contact dermatitis" when I use it. There is more aloe than lanolin.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Major Lord

Gall's assembles an Okay BLS kit, but if you want the good stuff, go to adventure medical. Dr Eric Weiss is the god of wilderness first aid!

http://www.adventuremedicalkits.com/medkit_series.asp

Capt. Lord
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the iniquities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

SJFedor

Quote from: SARMedTech on May 30, 2007, 03:49:51 PM
I meant to indicate that often baby wipes have lanolin and other lotions in them to help soften your baby's backside, so that if you are going to use them, you would want to be careful which ones you get. Also a nice sealable biohazard bag would be a good addition because  in a lot of cases (really you should in all situations) you gotta pack out whatever you bring in and you probably dont want to just throw biohazards back in your kit.  Just a thought. ;D

But then you have to pay extra to discard of biohazardous waste  ;)

Steven Fedor, NREMT-P
Master Ambulance Driver
Former Capt, MP, MCPE, MO, MS, GTL, and various other 3-and-4 letter combinations
NESA MAS Instructor, 2008-2010 (#479)

SARMedTech

I would also say that, for a number of uses, a pair of trauma shears and a pair of bandage shears would a nice add on and neither of these items is very expensive.
"Corpsman Up!"