Here's an Aerospace Education moment for you

Started by flyguy06, February 06, 2007, 10:54:36 PM

flyguy06

sandman

MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

MIKE

I'm still trying to decide if this is appropriate for the AE section.  flyguy06, please do not copy and paste entire articles.  Post a link instead.
Mike Johnston

flyguy06

Roger. Sorry.

It sucks for me too. I am a military junior officer and I had hope my senior officers who are supposed to be settig an example would not behve like this. I mean this woman is one rank below Admiral. And the guy is a full bird Captain as well. Its terible

Chris Jacobs

The link isn't working for me.  What is the name of the story?
C/1st Lt Chris Jacobs
Columbia Comp. Squadron

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 06, 2007, 11:21:59 PM
Roger. Sorry.

It sucks for me too. I am a military junior officer and I had hope my senior officers who are supposed to be settig an example would not behve like this. I mean this woman is one rank below Admiral. And the guy is a full bird Captain as well. Its terible

Florida Today is reporting the male's rank as Commander (O-5).  the other female, the victim, is a USAF Captain (O-3).  She, I don't think, is an astronaut.  She is assigned to the 45th Launch Squadron here at PAFB.
Another former CAP officer

flyguy06

No she is an engineer. The story was basically about a female astronaught that drove rom Houston to Orlando to confront a woman about her boyfriend.

JohnKachenmeister

Define "Confront."  The arrest affidavit says "Kill."

In any case, the boyfriend is allegedly a Commander, not a Captain.  At least according to Florida Today. 

But since I know from long and bitter experience the accuracy rate of any major media outlet, he might end up being anything between Lance Corporal and Vice Admiral.

A.Member

More proof that real life is stranger than fiction. 

You gotta wonder how she passed psyche evals...she's a Navy Captain for crying out loud.  The space program certainly doesn't need any more stories like this.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

SarDragon

Astronauts are people, too. :o

(But astronauts aren't Soylent Green.)  ;)
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

flight dispatcher

This is one case where PME didn't work, BADA BOOM : - ) >:D

JohnKachenmeister

Psych evaluations are like your medical certificate.  It guarantees that you were not dead or dying in the doctor's office.  Anybody will pass unless they are currently insane.

Just as a medical certificate does not guarantee that you will not drop over from a heart attack an hour after leaving the office, a psychological exam does not guarantee that something will not push you over the edge the day after you tell the shrink that the ink blot looks like sex.

A.Member

Quote from: SarDragon on February 07, 2007, 06:55:44 AM
Astronauts are people, too. :o
Astronaut?  I'd say Astronut!

Quote from: SarDragon on February 07, 2007, 06:55:44 AM(But astronauts aren't Soylent Green.)  ;)
Hmmm...speaking of Soylent Green, I'm hungry.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

flight dispatcher

Astronaut: Travel 900 miles into outerspace  ;D
Astronut: Travel 900 miles while spaced  ::)

sandman

Quote from: flight dispatcher on February 07, 2007, 04:28:26 PM
Astronaut: Travel 900 miles into outerspace  ;D
Astronut: Travel 900 miles while spaced  ::)

Astronut: Travel 900 miles while spaced  out
MAJ, US Army (Ret)
Major, Civil Air Patrol
Major, 163rd ATKW Support, Joint Medical Command

flyguy06

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 07, 2007, 05:29:25 AM

In any case, the boyfriend is allegedly a Commander, not a Captain.  At least according to Florida Today. 

But since I know from long and bitter experience the accuracy rate of any major media outlet, he might end up being anything between Lance Corporal and Vice Admiral.

I think wheather his rank is Captain or Commander is kinda irrelevant to the story.

Westernslope

Commander Oefelein was a CAP Cadet and mentioned in the January Issue of the RMR newsletter.

http://rmrcap.us/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=70&func=fileinfo&id=45     Page 9

SAR-EMT1

C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 07, 2007, 10:08:11 PM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 07, 2007, 05:29:25 AM

I think wheather his rank is Captain or Commander is kinda irrelevant to the story.

I know, but somebody back a way posted that they thought he was also a naval captain.

Tags - MIKE

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: Westernslope on February 08, 2007, 12:23:24 AM
Commander Oefelein was a CAP Cadet and mentioned in the January Issue of the RMR newsletter.

http://rmrcap.us/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=70&func=fileinfo&id=45     Page 9

That would explain why he had women fighting over him.  Cadets, and ex-cadets, are HOT >:D

flyguy06

Quote from: Westernslope on February 08, 2007, 12:23:24 AM

Great , this is almost up there with the two former CAP cadets that one went to the USAFA and the other went the USNA. Yall remember that one?

And dont forget that Lee Harvey Oswald was a former CAP cadet also.

JohnKachenmeister

Yeah, I remember.

All of them seem to be from Texas, too.

Hmmmmm...

flyguy06

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 08, 2007, 05:31:28 AM
Yeah, I remember.

All of them seem to be from Texas, too.

Hmmmmm...

;D You're right. I didnt think about that

SAR-EMT1

So lets quarantine all CAP cadets from TXWG for a psych-eval.
C. A. Edgar
AUX USCG Flotilla 8-8
Former CC / GLR-IL-328
Firefighter, Paramedic, Grad Student

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: SAR-EMT1 on February 09, 2007, 03:35:06 AM
So lets quarantine all CAP cadets from TXWG for a psych-eval.

Why limit it to cadets?

JohnKachenmeister

I want to make a prediction right here, right now.

I predict that the Navy Captain Astronaut will be convicted of assault.

I also predict that this will be the result of a negotiated plea, and this will never go to trial.

As a part of the plea negotiation, the Navy will agree to not prosecute under the UCMJ.  Possible charges would be Assault, Conduct Unbecoming an Officer, Adultery, Conduct Prejudicial to Good Order and Discipline, and maybe AWOL.

She will be re-assigned, and the next time she sees the Kennedy Space Center it will be from the cockpit of a P-3 out of NAS-Jax.  She will get a less-than-stellar Officer Evaluation Report, and will probably be processed for administrative discharge.  Hopefully, she has her "20" in.

She will do no additional time.  She will pay a fine, get probation, and be sentenced to jail time suspended except for 1 day, with credit for time served.

ZigZag911

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 10, 2007, 04:22:33 AM

She will be re-assigned, and the next time she sees the Kennedy Space Center it will be from the cockpit of a P-3 out of NAS-Jax. 

That's the only part I differ with you....she will be re-assigned, to a desk, overseeing barnacle removal processes, and the next time she sees KSC will be on CNN or Fox!!!

DNall

Quote from: ZigZag911 on February 10, 2007, 04:56:54 AM
Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 10, 2007, 04:22:33 AM

She will be re-assigned, and the next time she sees the Kennedy Space Center it will be from the cockpit of a P-3 out of NAS-Jax. 

That's the only part I differ with you....she will be re-assigned, to a desk, overseeing barnacle removal processes, and the next time she sees KSC will be on CNN or Fox!!!
Pretty sure that's the one.

And ain't nothing wrong with Texas. We grow everything bigger here, even our psychos, trust me, I dated half of them. The other half I'm still working on avoiding.

JohnKachenmeister

You guys are right.  There's no way she will stay on flight status.

afgeo4

Yes, but will she pass the CAP background check and what unit is she suited for? Oh, and does she deserve the advanced rank promotion? We could have our first officer with astronaut wings y'all!
GEORGE LURYE

JohnKachenmeister

If my prediction comes true, her only conviction would be a misdemeanor, and she would therefore be eligible for CAP membership.  She would come in at reduced rank, since the highest rank a person may enter at is Lt. Col., but she would be given that rank. 

And you're right.  If TP and the Boys accept DNall's proposal for CAP Astronaut wings, she would rate them.  She could also still wear her Naval Aviator/Astronaut wings at her option.

As soon as she gets her form 5 checkride, she could again see KSC from a cockpit, even if its only a C-172.  If she goes on to be a mission pilot, and chooses to live here on the Space Coast, she could fly Shuttle Mission Support operations, keeping the fishermen and the waverunners out of the Atlantic Exclusion Zone.

Of course, if we have her drive the vans on trips, we'll have to tell her that its OK to stop at gas stations for "P-Breaks."

afgeo4

:D we shall issue an alert to TX (and FL?) recruiters
GEORGE LURYE

flyguy06

Quote from: afgeo4 on February 10, 2007, 05:46:41 PM
Yes, but will she pass the CAP background check and what unit is she suited for? Oh, and does she deserve the advanced rank promotion? We could have our first officer with astronaut wings y'all!

No she wouldnt. e already have CAP members that are Astronauts. Eric Boe is from GAWG.

They dont have enough evidence to convict her of attempted murder. She will loose her commission. SHe is an O-6 so she has over 20 so she will probably be forced to retire.

ZigZag911

Is it me, or does she sound like a National board prospect???

JohnKachenmeister

She's from Texas, maybe she'll end up dating DNall.

Or... Maybe she already has?

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: flyguy06 on February 10, 2007, 09:33:02 PM

No she wouldnt. e already have CAP members that are Astronauts. Eric Boe is from GAWG.

They dont have enough evidence to convict her of attempted murder. She will loose her commission. SHe is an O-6 so she has over 20 so she will probably be forced to retire.

I did not know we already had an astronaut.  Good for him!

flyguy06

Quote from: JohnKachenmeister on February 11, 2007, 04:00:05 AM
Quote from: flyguy06 on February 10, 2007, 09:33:02 PM

I did not know we already had an astronaut.  Good for him!

Yep.  Eric Boe grew up as a cadet in GAWG and still maintains his membership or atleast did three years ago

DNall

Close. I dated a girl worked at NASA as an astronaut trainer... on the bio-environmental engineering systems for the international space station. Smart girl, but a little wierd, never got to the psycho stage with her though.

On the other hand, I dated this other girl in college that tried to run me into a freeway barrier on the way to showing me she'd flipped everything I owned upside down in my apartment cause I wasn't sitting there waiting for her apparently.

Do try to avoid the married with two kids full-o-issues ones to the ebst of my ability though.

In all seriousness, I don't think she would clear the fingerprint federal agency check. It's not all that thurough, but it'll pop a federal violent crime charge, and of course her DoD record is going to have a reprimand at least. We got a guy over here sitting in jail for claiing he was something on active duty that he wasn't. It takes a year & apparently the CGAux's help, but it gets sorted out for the most part.

BillB

Who would give a form 5 ride to earn astronaut wings. And can you imagine what National would require to earn them?
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: DNall on February 11, 2007, 07:45:10 AM
Close. I dated a girl worked at NASA as an astronaut trainer... on the bio-environmental engineering systems for the international space station. Smart girl, but a little wierd, never got to the psycho stage with her though.

On the other hand, I dated this other girl in college that tried to run me into a freeway barrier on the way to showing me she'd flipped everything I owned upside down in my apartment cause I wasn't sitting there waiting for her apparently.

Do try to avoid the married with two kids full-o-issues ones to the ebst of my ability though.

In all seriousness, I don't think she would clear the fingerprint federal agency check. It's not all that thurough, but it'll pop a federal violent crime charge, and of course her DoD record is going to have a reprimand at least. We got a guy over here sitting in jail for claiing he was something on active duty that he wasn't. It takes a year & apparently the CGAux's help, but it gets sorted out for the most part.

IF she is convicted for misdemeanor assault in a plea bargain, and a part of that plea is that the Navy will not pursue charges, she may get by with a resignation in lieu of elimination.  Also, she won't have a federal crime of violence record such that would bar her from CAP.  I don't think she would be able to buy a firearm, though.

O-Rex

Yeouch, not exactly a "giant leap for NASA." Gus & Ed must be turning over in their graves. But you gotta admit, it's alot more juicy than the Apollo 15/Stamp-thing. . . .

This is just the stuff that went public: In their books, both Tom Wolfe and John Glenn made mention that the Mercury Seven were not exactly choir-boys: can you imagine the wild times that they had?

Heard that Jack Swigert was a ladies man.  Gene Cernan was married at the time, but he was kind of a wild man, in his bio "Last Man on the Moon," there's a pic of him with Barbara Eden (and she's in costume too!!) talk about life imitating art: "Oh, Master!"

That was the life: flying, cool wardrobe, babes, and all the freeze-dried neopolitan ice-cream you could eat! 

DNall

Now if she couldn't buy a firearm (which I'm not entirely sure if if it's a misdemeanor), how would they know that except that she had a federal conviction for a crime involving violence. A state misdemeanor assualt charge I don't know if that'd stay in the system forever, but federal I think would cause a hit. Course I'm infavor of more thurough background checks myself.

Quote from: BillB on February 11, 2007, 09:43:56 PM
Who would give a form 5 ride to earn astronaut wings. And can you imagine what National would require to earn them?
Always with the jokers. Honorary thing for NASA rated astronauts working with the CAP cadet program & given aloing with AE membership.

JohnKachenmeister

Quote from: DNall on February 12, 2007, 04:11:54 AM
Now if she couldn't buy a firearm (which I'm not entirely sure if if it's a misdemeanor), how would they know that except that she had a federal conviction for a crime involving violence. A state misdemeanor assualt charge I don't know if that'd stay in the system forever, but federal I think would cause a hit. Course I'm infavor of more thurough background checks myself.

Quote from: BillB on February 11, 2007, 09:43:56 PM
Always with the jokers. Honorary thing for NASA rated astronauts working with the CAP cadet program & given aloing with AE membership.

Firearm purchases are denied to convicted felons and persons convicted of misdemeanors if they are "Offenses of violence."

I THINK she will plea to assault, but I'm not in touch with her lawyer.  That's just based on 25 years on the street and in court.  There are other pleas that could result from this, especially if she is administratively discharged or resigns in lieu of elimination.  Being forced out of your career can be used as leverage with the court to negotiate an even lesser offense.