Main Menu

Wearing the ABU's

Started by flyguy06, December 25, 2007, 05:52:59 PM

SARMedTech

Quote from: mmouw on December 26, 2007, 12:23:34 AM
Keep in mind that we have the BDUs until the surplus runs out and then we will have to transition to the ABU. No other branch uses the BDUs anymore so the manufacturers out there will probably switch over to the ABU. Necessity is what determines what we were.

I think you overstate it. The old woodlands arent going anywhere as long as they remain the fabric of choice for third world dictators and their bodyguards and deer hunters. I recently met with a representative from Propper and they have no plans to discontinue woodlands BDUs or other items using the pattern any time in the next decade, so there will be a source for them. Im always a little confused by this argument. My local uniform shop has woodlands BDUs in every conceivable fabric (ie ripstop, ECW, etc) from floor to ceiling. Woodlands aint going anywhere. Perhaps out of the government sector, but when a simple google search still turns up dozens of sources for VietNam era tiger stripes, I dont think you have anything to worry about. Now, if you take into account that there is absolutely no reason from us to be wearing woodlands, thats a different story. If you look at it historically, desert boots and tricolors just about took over after 1991.
"Corpsman Up!"

"...The distinct possibility of dying slow, cold and alone...but you also get the chance to save lives, and there is no greater calling in the world than that."

Eclipse

There's plenty up in the big base by me, (except for those weird hats).

Also, as the BDU's come off the active guys, the DRMO's are getting slammed full of them.  One of the things we're having no issues getting are BDU uniforms.

Not to mention the fact that with proper care, good-quality BDU's will last CAP people forever.  These things are designed for every-day wear in combat theaters, vs. the average CAP member who wears them a couple hours a week, and gets them dirty maybe 2-3 times a year.

If an AD-guy with 4 sets wears a pair 1-2 times a week, say 16 hours per,  vs. one meeting a week and 3 bivouacs for CAP, we get 3-4 years wear for every year of AD use.

"That Others May Zoom"

shorning

Quote from: Eclipse on December 26, 2007, 04:11:50 AM
Also, as the BDU's come off the active guys, the DRMO's are getting slammed full of them. 

How so?  The active duty Air Force folks don't turn them into DRMO generally.  ???

CadetProgramGuy

So what you do is beat the system. 

Go to the units and tell them who you are, why you want their uniforms, and ask to set up Uniform donation buckets.  You will get some trash, but you also could be highly surprised.

Watch the windfall.

PHall

Quote from: shorning on December 26, 2007, 05:06:32 AM
Also, as the BDU's come off the active guys, the DRMO's are getting slammed full of them. 

How so?  The active duty Air Force folks don't turn them into DRMO generally.  ???

The only time BDU's went to DRMO is if you bombed out of BMT.
And they stopped issueing BDU's at BMT on Sept 30. As of Oct 1 all they issue now is ABU's.

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: PHall on December 26, 2007, 05:15:41 AM
Quote from: shorning on December 26, 2007, 05:06:32 AM

The only time BDU's went to DRMO is if you bombed out of BMT.
And they stopped issueing BDU's at BMT on Sept 30. As of Oct 1 all they issue now is ABU's.

Wouldn't you just hate being that last guy?

PHall

Quote from: CadetProgramGuy on December 26, 2007, 05:14:03 AM

Go to the units and tell them who you are, why you want their uniforms, and ask to set up Uniform donation buckets.  You will get some trash, but you also could be highly surprised.

Watch the windfall.

Don't bet on it. Usually when somebody is done with a set of BDU's, they're worn out.

The Air Force is not making a big sudden change to the ABU. The supply system would not be able to support that.
It's gonna happen over a period of three years or so.

I know in the Guard/Reserve, if you tried to turn in a serviceable set of BDU's just to get a set of ABU's, and you're not deploying, it won't happen.
Those uniforms come out of a unit's budget and they're not going to pay to replace serviceable uniforms just because somebody wants to look "cool".

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: PHall on December 26, 2007, 05:22:18 AM

Watch the windfall.

Don't bet on it. Usually when somebody is done with a set of BDU's, they're worn out.

The Air Force is not making a big sudden change to the ABU. The supply system would not be able to support that.
It's gonna happen over a period of three years or so.

I know in the Guard/Reserve, if you tried to turn in a serviceable set of BDU's just to get a set of ABU's, and you're not deploying, it won't happen.
Those uniforms come out of a unit's budget and they're not going to pay to replace serviceable uniforms just because somebody wants to look "cool".

I will guarantee 100% you will get nothing if you don't ask.  Heck you still may get that same response if you do ask, but as least you are asking.

lordmonar

Watch the windfall.

And what happens next year?

The point being....yes now we can get BDUs surplus and we can probably be able to buy new BDU for years to come.....but the "used" market that everyone loves so much will be dried up in 1-2 years.

If we are going to go to a commercial vendor for BDU's why not just go to that same vendor for BBDU's?
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

CadetProgramGuy

Quote from: lordmonar on December 26, 2007, 06:16:54 AM

Watch the windfall.

And what happens next year?

The point being....yes now we can get BDUs surplus and we can probably be able to buy new BDU for years to come.....but the "used" market that everyone loves so much will be dried up in 1-2 years.

If we are going to go to a commercial vendor for BDU's why not just go to that same vendor for BBDU's?

Good point in which I do not have the answer.  I say we call propper and get a deal working.

Then again, when we get into the new uniform ( you all know we will) this will be a moot point.

Dragoon

I expect the civilian interest in BDUs to dry up within about 5 years after USAF transitions out. 

The paramilitary types tend to want to wear whatever the RM is wearing (although in different colors). 

I've already seen Army-style ACUs in weird colors.  My guess is that weird color MARPATs and ABUs won't be far behind.

We've got time, but just like the 'ol pickle suit, it WILL die out.  No one wants to be wearing the "old stuff."

Probably Propper will end up producing Blue ABUs!

Hawk200

Quote from: Dragoon on December 26, 2007, 07:20:47 PM

Wouldn't take much. It's little more than a modified BDU with an Air Force specialized name to it. The Air Force is actually pushing the ABU as a "weapons system". Funny considering that they aren't all that different from what the Air Force has been wearing for the last 19 years.

Smokey

Not to mention that some folks prefer to purchase  "new" rather than used. I prefer new as is seems there often is something wrong with used stuff...seems splitting, edges curlings, worn areas, etc.
If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.
To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

lordmonar

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 26, 2007, 08:21:06 PM
Quote from: Dragoon on December 26, 2007, 07:20:47 PM

Wouldn't take much. It's little more than a modified BDU with an Air Force specialized name to it. The Air Force is actually pushing the ABU as a "weapons system". Funny considering that they aren't all that different from what the Air Force has been wearing for the last 19 years.

Propper alread makes ACUs in different colors....including blue!
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

Hawk200

Quote from: lordmonar on December 27, 2007, 12:26:55 AM
Propper alread makes ACUs in different colors....including blue!

I've seen them. But a blue BDU isn't going to be that much different from a blue ABU. The ABU is basically a rehashed BDU, it really isn't that much different.

ACU's however, are a horse of a different color.

WWIntel

ACUs and ABUs share basically the same colors.  The only difference, colorwise, is the addition of "slate blue" to the ABU.

Hawk200

Quote from: WWIntel on December 28, 2007, 02:37:18 AM
ACUs and ABUs share basically the same colors.  The only difference, colorwise, is the addition of "slate blue" to the ABU.

The camo colors are very similar. The uniforms themselves are drastically different.

The ABU is basically a modified BDU. The ACU is a completely different design from any other tactical uniform in existance. There are sleeve pockets, angled chest pockets, Velcro for insignia, it closes up in the front with a zipper, and the collar is a "Mandarin" type that covers the throat area.

The uniforms may look similar in color, but the patterns themselves are highly unique.

mikeylikey

Quote from: Hawk200 on December 28, 2007, 03:26:37 AM
Quote from: WWIntel on December 28, 2007, 02:37:18 AM

The camo colors are very similar. The uniforms themselves are drastically different.

The ABU is basically a modified BDU. The ACU is a completely different design from any other tactical uniform in existence. There are sleeve pockets, angled chest pockets, Velcro for insignia, it closes up in the front with a zipper, and the collar is a "Mandarin" type that covers the throat area.

The uniforms may look similar in color, but the patterns themselves are highly unique.

Speaking with many AF folks who wore ACU's and now wear ABU's, many would prefer to continue wearing the ACU's.  The ACU was designed for the modern battlefield, the AF designed their uniform for garrison wear and tear (as in wash and dry, no iron needed)
What's up monkeys?

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

Stonewall

Here's the ABU mixed in with the ACU.

Serving since 1987.