Show Us Your Rack!

Started by MIKE, June 26, 2007, 03:48:38 PM

mikeylikey

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on September 08, 2007, 10:51:35 PM
Did the actual SQD earn all 4 Unit Citations, or were there ones awarded to the Wing, Group etc. 

I don't know for sure.  Yes, 2 of those UCs were before my time, but I dont know for sure where they came from.  Any help Col Trossen?

How can you wear a citation you weren't around to earn?  I think you may in the wrong.
What's up monkeys?

LeoBurke

Quote from: Stonewall on September 08, 2007, 11:20:18 PM
Now, what did everyone get their ribbons for?

*Snip*

I got mine for a $1.05 from Vanguard.  I just picked out some pretty ones and put them together.

That is how Lt Col Ninness taught me to do it. 
Leo Burke, Michigan

/\/\/\   The Spaatz award is over-rated.  Get yours and prove it.  It's Half the
\/\/\/   Mitchell, Half the Earhart, write a paragraph and run around the block!

♠SARKID♠

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 09, 2007, 03:47:50 AM
Did the actual SQD earn all 4 Unit Citations, or were there ones awarded to the Wing, Group etc. 

I don't know for sure.  Yes, 2 of those UCs were before my time, but I dont know for sure where they came from.  Any help Col Trossen?

How can you wear a citation you weren't around to earn?  I think you may in the wrong.

Alright, lets not start this argument up.  Read CTrossen's post (http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2284.msg55033#msg55033).  I fully agree with him, and even if he's wrong, he's my squadron commander and obey all his commands.

JC004

Ms. Parker is the OPR and she interprets these rules.  Basically, what she says, goes.

PaulR

Quote from: jaybird512 on September 08, 2007, 10:56:50 PM

Just out of curiosity (I'm sure there is a reason, it's just not clicking to me...) why is your Mitchell above your two marksmanship ribbons?

Because that is the order that the ribbon checker placed them in.  There is no way to control where they go.

As a Marine, I went through all of the courses of fire for qualification.  I would say that I would rank the branches in order of difficulty:

1.  US Marine Corps
2.  US Coast Guard
3.  US Army
4.  US Navy
5.  US Air Force

The reason the Coast Guard is in that position is that we not only train for battlefield conditions, we also train as law enforcement agents.  Trust me, this is more difficult than simply plinking away at targets.. ;D

mikeylikey

Quote from: ♠SARKID♠ on September 09, 2007, 04:15:25 AM
Quote from: mikeylikey on September 09, 2007, 03:47:50 AM

Alright, lets not start this argument up.  Read CTrossen's post (http://captalk.net/index.php?topic=2284.msg55033#msg55033).  I fully agree with him, and even if he's wrong, he's my squadron commander and obey all his commands.

He is in the wrong as well.  Don't do something just because someone tells you to do it, when you know it is incorrect.  Shame on both of you. 
What's up monkeys?

mikeylikey

Quote from: PaulR on September 09, 2007, 01:13:24 PM
Quote from: jaybird512 on September 08, 2007, 10:56:50 PM

Just out of curiosity (I'm sure there is a reason, it's just not clicking to me...) why is your Mitchell above your two marksmanship ribbons?

Because that is the order that the ribbon checker placed them in.  There is no way to control where they go.

As a Marine, I went through all of the courses of fire for qualification.  I would say that I would rank the branches in order of difficulty:

1.  US Marine Corps
2.  US Coast Guard
3.  US Army
4.  US Navy
5.  US Air Force

The reason the Coast Guard is in that position is that we not only train for battlefield conditions, we also train as law enforcement agents.  Trust me, this is more difficult than simply plinking away at targets.. ;D

hahahahha.....perhaps you will take a trip to Iraq and see that that no matter what service you are in, you are also a LEO.  Times haver changed, the CG is not the only branch to have to intercept bad guy civilians.
What's up monkeys?

PaulR

Quote from: mikeylikey on September 09, 2007, 04:08:53 PM
hahahahha.....perhaps you will take a trip to Iraq and see that that no matter what service you are in, you are also a LEO.  Times haver changed, the CG is not the only branch to have to intercept bad guy civilians.

:)I have been to Iraq with the Coast Guard... twice! (2003 and 2004).  I lost a shipmate there to a suicide bomber. 

Comparing counter-insurgent(guerrilla warefare) Ops and Law Enforcement is like comparing apples and oranges, in my experience anyway.

jb512

Quote from: JC004 on September 09, 2007, 04:43:18 AM
Ms. Parker is the OPR and she interprets these rules.  Basically, what she says, goes.

Think she might have enough stroke to get some of the loosly worded regs changed instead of having to interpret them for us?

JC004

Quote from: jaybird512 on September 09, 2007, 11:57:29 PM

Think she might have enough stroke to get some of the loosly worded regs changed instead of having to interpret them for us?

Ask her to include the item for consideration in the next revision...

jb512

Quote from: Stonewall on September 08, 2007, 11:20:18 PM

Army Res Achievement Medal:  Don't know, it showed up on my NG Form 22

The Army Reserve Components Achievement Medal is about the same as the Army Good Conduct Medal, but it includes officers as well and is specific to the reserves/guard.

James

2Lt J. Weber
Callsign: MOwCAP554
Communications Officer Emergency Services Officer
Ft Leonard Wood
Squadron 153

LeoBurke

Quote from: jaybird512 on September 09, 2007, 11:57:29 PM

Anyone can make any suggestede change to the regs through their Chain of Command.  Send me your email and I'll send you the MS Word Doc format.  Your Wing King simply puts it forward as an agenda item for the National Board.  Sometimes it goes to committee before, sometimes after the NB meeting. 

Leo
Leo Burke, Michigan

/\/\/\   The Spaatz award is over-rated.  Get yours and prove it.  It's Half the
\/\/\/   Mitchell, Half the Earhart, write a paragraph and run around the block!

PaulR

Has the Cold War Victory Medal been approved for wear on the military/CAP uniform yet?

Stonewall

Never heard of it.  Or maybe I have.  I thought it was just a certificate or something.  It's an actual award?
Serving since 1987.

PaulR

It is represented by the last ribbon on Jame's bar, above. 

This medal has been up in Congress/Senate for approval for the past seven years.  It had been approved by the House, but has been shot down at the upper levels every time it has been brought up.  I personally think that it is a good idea hope it passes but my point is that it is not an official award, at least not yet.  I did now know if the CAP had allowed for it's wear on the uniform. 

The question is not really so silly as the Louisiana National Guard has been awarding it as a state award for a couple of years now.

There is an official award for members who were in during the Cold War.  It is the Cold War Recognition Certificate.  Currently(as far as I know), it is the only form of federal recognition for us Cold War Vets.

Here is a link on it.

http://www.coldwarveterans.com/cold_war_victory_medal.htm

Stonewall

Interesting.  Learn something new every day.

I remember seeing the time frame and I think I qualified for this award.  But I just spent $30+ on my ultrathin ribbon rack for the Air Guard so I don't want to have to buy another one until I have to add 2 ribbons to make it worth the money  :P
Serving since 1987.

PaulR

I dont think that it is an official award, yet.  It has been getting shot down every year for the past seven years. 

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Stonewall on September 11, 2007, 10:49:10 AM
Never heard of it.  Or maybe I have.  I thought it was just a certificate or something.  It's an actual award?

Nichts, boss... the Foxfall CW commemorative service medal design (as seen above) is approved only as a state award in the Louisiana NG, and perhaps others by now. The competing Medals of America commemorative medal hasn't been approved for official wear.

The Federales only give you the Cold War service certificate. There have been various attempts to introduce legislation to authorize a Cold War medal, but the DoD always balks at it and it eventually dies a quiet death in committee. Thus, the Cold War certificate looks good on your 'I Love ME!' wall, but it won't even get ya a cup of coffee or let you join the American Legion or VFW - unless you have other qualifying service periods.

If you're eligible to obtain the Cold War certificate, here's the linky: https://www.hrc.army.mil/site/active/tagd/coldwar/default.htm . Expect to get it back in about two months from application.

Cold War Service Certificate (sample):

Foxfall Cold War Commemorative Medal set (www.foxfall.com):

Medals of America Cold War Victory Medal commemorative set (www.usmedals.com):

I own the Foxfall Cold War commemorative set; it's real nice but I sure as hell ain't gonna wear it on a CAP corporate or AF-style uniform unless the regs change. I'll occasionally wear the lapel pin or mini medal on a civvy tux.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040

AlphaSigOU

Quote from: Stonewall on September 11, 2007, 10:57:29 AM
Interesting.  Learn something new every day.

I remember seeing the time frame and I think I qualified for this award.  But I just spent $30+ on my ultrathin ribbon rack for the Air Guard so I don't want to have to buy another one until I have to add 2 ribbons to make it worth the money  :P

If your service falls between 2 Sept 1945 and 26 Dec 1991, you qualify for the cert. Personally, I think us former Cold Warriors who did time in any period that's already covered by a campaign or service medal (I served in the 'gap' between Vietnam and Desert Storm) should get a medal, but I'm gonna leave to the politicians to sort this out.
Lt Col Charles E. (Chuck) Corway, CAP
Gill Robb Wilson Award (#2901 - 2011)
Amelia Earhart Award (#1257 - 1982) - C/Major (retired)
Billy Mitchell Award (#2375 - 1981)
Administrative/Personnel/Professional Development Officer
Nellis Composite Squadron (PCR-NV-069)
KJ6GHO - NAR 45040