ABU uniform for Civil Air Patrol

Started by U.S.A.F. C.A.P., December 26, 2011, 04:21:20 PM

manfredvonrichthofen

Quote from: 68w10 on September 23, 2012, 07:25:15 PM
Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 23, 2012, 06:46:58 PM
Greens are no longer around except for veterans like myself who Were in when they Were worn. I got lucky and was in during both greens and blues so I can wear either one on those appropriate days...

I hate to be that guy, but not quite:

"THE WEAR OUT DATE FOR THE ARMY GREEN SERVICE UNIFORM WITH ACCESSORIES IS THE 4TH QUARTER OF FY 2014."
http://www.army.mil/asu/alaract.html

While the ASU IS being issued as a clothing bag item to IET Soldiers, Greens are still authorized for wear.
correct, but they're no longer issued.

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: manfredvonrichthofen on September 23, 2012, 06:46:58 PM
Greens are no longer around except for veterans like myself who Were in when they Were worn. I got lucky and was in during both greens and blues so I can wear either one on those appropriate days...

But the Army still uses every uniform they have ever worn, in ceremony of course, but everything from colonial reds to Vietnam tigers, the current and everything between. so... Yeah, the Army has A Lot of uniforms.

My dad was in during the transition from the Ike jacket (I have his) to the greens (which he hated).

When he made SP4, the shield was in the "new" green colour and sticks out like a sore thumb on the Ike jacket (the shield was a lot smaller and shaped differently then too).
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Go_Blue

Quote from: usafcap1 on September 23, 2012, 07:10:37 AM
I priced mine if we ever go ABUs it would cost me $307

You DO realize that the ABU is a waste of time and money, right?  You DO realize that it's a ridiculous uniform that serves no functional purpose (especially in SAR ops), right?  You DO realize that constantly asking for it makes offending CAP members look like they just want to play Air Force, in which case, they should just go join the Air Force.  You can have all the hot, useless ABUs you want, and wear them to all the friendly overseas locations that come with the honor of wearing them.

Sincerely,
Someone who has to suffer the ABU and would rather wear Blues

RogueLeader

Quote from: Go_Blue on September 24, 2012, 09:50:55 PM

You DO realize that the ABU is a waste of time and money, right?  You DO realize that it's a ridiculous uniform that serves no functional purpose (especially in SAR ops), right?  You DO realize that constantly asking for it makes offending CAP members look like they just want to play Air Force, in which case, they should just go join the Air Force.  You can have all the hot, useless ABUs you want, and wear them to all the friendly overseas locations that come with the honor of wearing them.

Sincerely,

You DO realize that some of us think that we should be in the same uniform as the AF as we HAVE BEEN for many years.  You DO realize that some of us are BTDT, that have WORN ABU/ACU/MARPAT/NWU right.  You DO realize that a vast majority don't want to PLAY AF, we are too busy BEING CAP.

Sincerely,
Former Army Engineer
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

AngelWings

You DO realize that the ABU is a waste of time and money, right? 
You DO realize that the ABU is the current USAF uniform and that CAP has worn the current USAF uniform for a long time, right?

QuoteYou DO realize that it's a ridiculous uniform that serves no functional purpose (especially in SAR ops), right?
You do realize that NO CAP uniform is actually functional for SAR, right?

QuoteYou DO realize that constantly asking for it makes offending CAP members look like they just want to play Air Force, in which case, they should just go join the Air Force.
You do realize that it makes logical sense to look like the USAF when you're their Aux and that not all CAP members physically can enter the USAF OR are already in the USAF/military?

QuoteYou can have all the hot, useless ABUs you want, and wear them to all the friendly overseas locations that come with the honor of wearing them.
And that is great that they're hot, I don't like wearing uniforms much anyways so it doesn't make a difference to me if it is hot. Especially in my neck of the woods where it is cold in the winter.

QuoteSincerely,
I respect your opinion and your service, however you're coming off rather negative to a kid you and I do not know (usafcap1. I want the ABU's, but I don't play USAF at all (even though I do plan to join the USAF in the next year or two unless I get enough money for college). CAP is full of traditions that I am proud of. One of them is looking like a part of the USAF family. I do not want to have a generation of Senior Members ruin a long standing tradition because they do not like a uniform.

Trust me, I know the ABU's are not the best uniform, but it is a uniform and I do not expect it to be pajamas. It is a work uniform.

Jon Knapp

Quote from: AngelWings on September 24, 2012, 10:30:08 PM

You DO realize that the ABU is the current USAF uniform and that CAP has worn the current USAF uniform for a long time, right?

QuoteYou DO realize that it's a ridiculous uniform that serves no functional purpose (especially in SAR ops), right?

QuoteYou DO realize that constantly asking for it makes offending CAP members look like they just want to play Air Force, in which case, they should just go join the Air Force.
You do realize that it makes logical sense to look like the USAF when you're their Aux and that not all CAP members physically can enter the USAF OR are already in the USAF/military?

QuoteYou can have all the hot, useless ABUs you want, and wear them to all the friendly overseas locations that come with the honor of wearing them.
And that is great that they're hot, I don't like wearing uniforms much anyways so it doesn't make a difference to me if it is hot. Especially in my neck of the woods where it is cold in the winter.

QuoteSincerely,
I respect your opinion and your service, however you're coming off rather negative to a kid you and I do not know (usafcap1. I want the ABU's, but I don't play USAF at all (even though I do plan to join the USAF in the next year or two unless I get enough money for college). CAP is full of traditions that I am proud of. One of them is looking like a part of the USAF family. I do not want to have a generation of Senior Members ruin a long standing tradition because they do not like a uniform.

Trust me, I know the ABU's are not the best uniform, but it is a uniform and I do not expect it to be pajamas. It is a work uniform.

Well Said.  The ABU isn't the best uniform out there, however, the approved footwear sure beats the tar out our "needs to be polished" black boots.  Footwear is were it all counts.
Jonathan D. Knapp, C/1st Lt, CAP
Cadet Deputy Commander, MER-NC-800

Garibaldi

Quote from: Jon Knapp on September 24, 2012, 10:53:21 PM
Quote from: AngelWings on September 24, 2012, 10:30:08 PM

QuoteSincerely,

Well Said.  The ABU isn't the best uniform out there, however, the approved footwear sure beats the tar out our "needs to be polished" black boots.  Footwear is were it all counts.

Still a major after all these years.
ES dude, leadership ossifer, publik affaires
Opinionated and wrong 99% of the time about all things

Go_Blue

Actually wanting the ABU is just ...wow....to me, especially when there are perfectly good, respectable, and professional looking options already in use that are better uniforms.  If that's negative, so be it.  As for the auxiliary bit...given that is not a full-time state for CAP, does that argument even apply?  What, just have ABUs for instances where the unit is tasked to go out and do their officially assigned mission?  Makes no sense.  Some people seem very bent out of shape that they don't look exactly like the AF.   Maybe I'm too much of a newbie to CAP, but while CAP is a valuable part of the AF family, it is not the AF.  There's no need for a uniform like the ABU aside from aesthetics (bad ones, at that).  I'm not even sure why woodland camo is the standard, because that seems equally out of place in a homeland SAR setting (only unlike the ABU, woodland actually blends into the surroundings it was designed for).

RL,  I don't know who has BTDT by reading stuff on message boards.  I do know I've seen a lot of "we want ABUs!" threads on this board and others, and what I posted is exactly the way it comes across.  Wait a few years and then petition to have whatever Multicam craziness gets adopted over the ABU.

PHall

Quote from: Go_Blue on September 25, 2012, 02:44:37 AM
Actually wanting the ABU is just ...wow....to me, especially when there are perfectly good, respectable, and professional looking options already in use that are better uniforms.  If that's negative, so be it.  As for the auxiliary bit...given that is not a full-time state for CAP, does that argument even apply?  What, just have ABUs for instances where the unit is tasked to go out and do their officially assigned mission?  Makes no sense.  Some people seem very bent out of shape that they don't look exactly like the AF.   Maybe I'm too much of a newbie to CAP, but while CAP is part of the AF family, it is not the AF.  There's no need for a uniform like the ABU aside from aesthetics (bad ones, at that).  I'm not even sure why woodland camo is the standard, because that seems equally out of place in a homeland SAR setting (only unlike the ABU, woodland actually blends into the surroundings it was designed for).

RL,  I don't know who has BTDT by reading stuff on message boards.  I do know I've seen a lot of "we want ABUs!" threads on this board and others, and what I posted is exactly the way it comes across.  Wait a few years and then petition to have whatever Multicam craziness gets adopted over the ABU.

We have about as much BTDT data in our profiles as you do...

Go_Blue

So that makes me not qualified to state an opinion?  Trust me, when my message board postings influence CAP leadership and future uniform policy, then you have a right to complain.  If CAP gets the ABU, awesome for those who want it.  Personally I think it's totally pointless.  But fight the good fight for what gets the mission done.

abdsp51

Quote from: Go_Blue on September 25, 2012, 02:44:37 AM
Actually wanting the ABU is just ...wow....to me, especially when there are perfectly good, respectable, and professional looking options already in use that are better uniforms.  If that's negative, so be it.  As for the auxiliary bit...given that is not a full-time state for CAP, does that argument even apply?  What, just have ABUs for instances where the unit is tasked to go out and do their officially assigned mission?  Makes no sense.  Some people seem very bent out of shape that they don't look exactly like the AF.   Maybe I'm too much of a newbie to CAP, but while CAP is part of the AF family, it is not the AF.  There's no need for a uniform like the ABU aside from aesthetics (bad ones, at that).  I'm not even sure why woodland camo is the standard, because that seems equally out of place in a homeland SAR setting (only unlike the ABU, woodland actually blends into the surroundings it was designed for).

Such as and don't give the multicam line.  Having worn BDUs, DCUs, and ABUs I prefer the ABU. Why it removes that perception that by looking good you can perform your job well and requires you to perform your job.  Boots are easier to care for and replace although the AF never should have chose sage green.  The ACU/ABUs are by far the most wash and wear uniform out there.  Being able to wear ABUs in this organization IMO is about maintaining the relationship with the AF.  Have you worn anything outside of ABUs or are you spouting of random things picked up from a supposed scientific study?

Go_Blue

The BDU is perfectly respectable and professional looking, no scientific study needed.  I had BDUs and I prefer them (summer weight ABUs aren't bad, but I am not as impressed with the quality of the product).  And why not the multicam/future uniform line?  You know it's coming eventually.  The Army's already shopping, and I would put money on the AF doing the same.  If CAP ever gets the ABU, the AF will switch uni's again and folks in CAP are going to want the new one anyway.  Just seems futile to me.

abdsp51

Quote from: Go_Blue on September 25, 2012, 03:04:52 AM
The BDU is perfectly respectable and professional looking, no scientific study needed.  I had BDUs and I prefer them (summer weight ABUs aren't bad, but I am not as impressed with the quality of the product).  And why not the multicam/future uniform line?  You know it's coming eventually.  The Army's already shopping, and I would put money on the AF doing the same.  If CAP ever gets the ABU, the AF will switch uni's again and folks in CAP are going to want the new one anyway.  Just seems futile to me.

The Army is shopping because plain and simple because the ACU was a billion dollar mistake.  Now the AF leadership has already said the ABU is here to stay for the time coming.  So unless you have a nice memo signed by the CSAF or the CMSAF saying otherwise anything about the AF following suit is pure (gossip, hearsay, rumor, scuttlebutt) or whichever term you want to use.  And contrary to belief the AF does not always follow suit with what the Army does.  I have had 4 sets of ABUs for 4 years now and they have held up just fine and that's including a deployment to Iraq,  RTC training in TX and a deployment to Afghanistan as well as day to day wear at home station.  As with anything new there are bound to be flaws especially with initial runs.  And bottom line sooner or later BDU pattern supplies will run out and get more expensive.   

SarDragon

Quote from: Go_Blue on September 25, 2012, 02:56:40 AM
So that makes me not qualified to state an opinion?  Trust me, when my message board postings influence CAP leadership and future uniform policy, then you have a right to complain.  If CAP gets the ABU, awesome for those who want it.  Personally I think it's totally pointless.  But fight the good fight for what gets the mission done.

Just so you know, there's a member of the National Uniform Committee on here, as well as a couple of former and sitting wing commanders. In addition, there are many people on here with decades of experience at all levels in CAP, so the chances of high level movers and shakers being influenced by what appears here is higher than you might think.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Private Investigator

Quote from: U.S.A.F. C.A.P. on December 26, 2011, 04:21:20 PM
What year is Civil Air Patrol going to switch to ABUs because I think that we have really used BDUs for a long time and they are getting very old?

Being a math nerd I factored in how long did it take us to go to BDUs. I am guestimating ABU 1st quarter FY 2024. 

Sapper168

Shane E Guernsey, TSgt, CAP
CAP Squadron ESO... "Who did what now?"
CAP Squadron NCO Advisor... "Where is the coffee located?"
US Army 12B... "Sappers Lead the Way!"
US Army Reserve 71L-f5... "Going Postal!"

RogueLeader

WYWG DP

GRW 3340

The CyBorg is destroyed

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 25, 2012, 04:32:27 AM
Being a math nerd I factored in how long did it take us to go to BDUs. I am guestimating ABU 1st quarter FY 2024.

By then most of the currently-issued ones will be worn out, the AF will have moved on to something else and won't care what happens to the ABU's.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Extremepredjudice

Quote from: Private Investigator on September 25, 2012, 04:32:27 AM
Quote from: U.S.A.F. C.A.P. on December 26, 2011, 04:21:20 PM
What year is Civil Air Patrol going to switch to ABUs because I think that we have really used BDUs for a long time and they are getting very old?

Show your work. I am getting 2050...
I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"