Wearing you beret from NBB outside of NBB?

Started by Titan 25, November 18, 2010, 09:09:15 PM

isuhawkeye

Actually it was first the iowa wing SSC.  Shortly after that it became the NCRSSC, and as he program grew and evolved it became a national special activity.

Oops just saw the other post.  Teds website is the best reference to NBB history

cpyahoo

To clarify things... Blue Beret started "awarding" berets in 1969.  Gen. Cass awarded dark blue french style berets.  He mantained that tradition all the way to 1986.  That was the last year we got the french-type berets.

CAPsteve

why even issue a Blue Beret if you can wear it only one time?

a2capt

Because... it's something to symbolize your service, participation, etc.

The CyBorg is destroyed

For some reason, berets have a very different connotation in the U.S. Armed Forces than about anywhere else.  A lot of people here don't like them.

In the RAF Air Training Corps, they're a common everyday wear item, as well as by basic trainees:

It's that way pretty much throughout NATO and Commonwealth countries.

I've often wondered about wearing a grey/black beret with no insignia with the G/W uniform...no insignia, civilian headdress.
Exiled from GLR-MI-011

Eclipse

They don't fit the american culture, which is one of cowboy hats and ball caps.

"That Others May Zoom"

cpyahoo

The whole deal of many folks in CAP being so averse to berets were the cadets when they came back from these activities.  They were real pains in the you-know-where with their elitist attitudes. 
     Maryland Wing was HORRIBLE for it!  Not bashing the Hawkies, but you get the same thing with the cadets who come back from Ranger school.  Not ALL... but some...

And they're not even wearing berets!

Sooooooo... should we ban orange ballcaps, pistol belts, chrome whistles and ascots to because they lead to elitist attitudes?  Where does it stop???

Eclipse

None of that is approved outside PAWG, either, other than an orange ball cap if it's the properly approved unit hat.

"That Others May Zoom"

Extremepredjudice

I love the moderators here. <3

Hanlon's Razor
Occam's Razor
"Flight make chant; I good leader"

LC

Rogovin

Among those of you arguing about this issue, how many have actually been to NBB?  Or know a bit about the acitivities history?  As a beret myself, all i see is a bunch of non-berets arguing over an issue that know little or nothing about.  Most cadets and SM's dont even know where NBB is held, much less what goes/has gone on on there.

How about this.  Those of you who argue and need education on the history and what we do at NBB, sign up to come.  If you are as good a person as you say you are, getting in should not be that hard.  Thee we can show you what we are really about.

The Beret is a symbol of the brotherhood, but it does not define the person.  So for those of you who think the beret is what makes some people act out when wearing it, then it is not the beret, it is the person wearing it.

I am proud of my Beret, but i do not argue when someone tells me to take it off.  If i have to, so be it.  I am a beret, whether or not i am wearing one.  Most people, and some berets are also guily of this, think that the beret makes the man.  I STRONGLY disagree.  Any true beret would say the same thing.  It's all about the experience the Beret symbolizes.

I'm sorry for the slightly scathing remarks, but it irks me that people would dare talk about anything without knowing enough to constructively contribute to any argument or discussion in any meaningful manner.

-Rogovin

Spaceman3750

Rogovin,

Respectfully, the "you can't judge us until you've been there" argument is one that has not fared well around here (see: Hawk Mountain). I do appreciate what you're trying to say, but the approach just ends up making you look like someone who is out of ideas.

I'm not sure what the "Brotherhood of the Beret" is, probably because (like you said) I've never been to NBB, but I'm not sure why it entitles you to goofy headgear.

Rogovin

That's what people don't understand...

NBB is about the experiences, NOT the headgear. I can tell that arguement has not fared well, but it's not just not attending.  People don't even bother to read up on NBB history, or even read through the thread before posting.  it's a disgrace. 

At least know the arguement, if not the topic. 

But the point i am trying to get accross is this:  The beret does not matter.  The experiences it represents DO.  That is why the Beret is so dear to those who have earned one.

- Rogovin

PS: please read up on NBB history: http://www.blueberet.org/blueberethistory.htm
There is quite a bit they don't tell you in there, and some recent years are missing.  I can fill you in if you have any questions.

Eclipse

The issues have nothing to do with AirVenture as an activity and everything to do with the behavior of the participants when they come back to their
home units, so the "you can't know" argument is irrelevant to the conversation.

Knowing the history of the activity doesn't really help the discussion, since the original scope and mission are far removed from what it has beome today,
even to the point of many of the long-time participants disavowing the current actity.

If anything, it tells the story about what happens when an activity starts as "something", based on the personal initiative of a small group of people,
time passes and things evolve, people move on, and at some point the identity and history of the activity is co-opted by another group with little
relation to the original planners and mission.

"That Others May Zoom"

RogueLeader

I earned my maroon berets while in the army. I feel that I should be allowed to wear it in CAP Anybody that disagrees with it just doesn't understand what it means.  ::) ::)

Get over it, or start a proposal to change it.

Really.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

Spaceman3750

OK, I'm going to try to break this down a little bit to see if I can get a better grasp on this. For our purposes, I am going to use the present-day as context, because you can be nostalgic as you want but it won't change the reality of what exists today.

National Blue Beret is a 2.5 week activity teaching GTM/UDF skills and offering participants the opportunity to marshal aircraft and silence distress beacons. As a result of completing this activity, you are awarded a beret, which symbolizes your experience there. Essentially, the beret is a tangible reminder of the warm fuzzies that come as a result of participating in this activity.

I want you to listen to what you're saying. What you're basically saying is that "Learning GTM skills and volunteering at a specific airshow is an experience that nobody else can quite understand, and I am going to wear/possess my beret to remind me of what an amazing experience that is." Why is this experience any different than any other activity? It's a good one, and nobody is questioning that. The issue at hand here is why this experience entitles you to wear a different piece of headgear than everyone else. "But it's not about wearing the beret." Great, then don't wear it. Keep it like a challenge coin or group photo.

QuoteThe beret does not matter.  The experiences it represents DO.  That is why the Beret is so dear to those who have earned one.

That doesn't make any sense. What you're saying is "The beret isn't important, what's important is the experience that goes into earning the beret. That's why the beret is important."

Unless my little neurons just aren't firing in a straight line today (and that's entirely possible), I just don't get it.

MSG Mac

Why is this argument always coming up? The first thing the NBB administrators should be telling the participants is that "the beret is not authorized to be worn outside of the activity. So take it off as soon as you get out of the van carrying you to the airport. When you get home buy a shadow box and put it in there"
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

lordmonar

Quote from: MSG Mac on February 10, 2012, 08:11:03 PM
Why is this argument always coming up? The first thing the NBB administrators should be telling the participants is that "the beret is not authorized to be worn outside of the activity. So take it off as soon as you get out of the van carrying you to the airport. When you get home buy a shadow box and put it in there"
But that is not a true statement.
The NB authorised the blue beret for wear at your home units.
Yes it is not in 39-1.

Bottom line is that wearing it or not is basically up to the unit commander.   If you are the unit commander and you don't want your personnel to wear it....don't let them.

Same thing for the "attitude problems" from "elitist" activities.......anyone who claims that need to remove their grade insignia.
PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

MSG Mac

Quote from: lordmonar on February 10, 2012, 08:44:35 PM
Quote from: MSG Mac on February 10, 2012, 08:11:03 PM
But that is not a true statement.
The NB authorised the blue beret for wear at your home units.
Yes it is not in 39-1.

Bottom line is that wearing it or not is basically up to the unit commander.   If you are the unit commander and you don't want your personnel to wear it....don't let them.

Same thing for the "attitude problems" from "elitist" activities.......anyone who claims that need to remove their grade insignia.

Not in CAPM 39-1 or any of the ICL's. I know there was it was intoduced at a NB meeting, but until they put it in writing, it never happened.
Michael P. McEleney
Lt Col CAP
MSG USA (Retired)
50 Year Member

arajca

Actually, NB decisions are official, HOWEVER, members cannot be penalized for following OR not following the action until the is posted to the field. Which this one has not been.