Wearing you beret from NBB outside of NBB?

Started by Titan 25, November 18, 2010, 09:09:15 PM

PA Guy

Quote from: NCRblues on November 19, 2010, 10:56:08 PM
So, i have got to ask...

Why do you all hate NBB so much, and have you all been or are you just nerd raging?

I don't think most people have anything against the activity, it's the hat people have a problem with.  Most NCSA grads get a ribbon, patch and maybe a coin.  NBB requires that you attend a great airshow and work hard nothing more.  The NBB of today bears little resemblance to the orig. program that started the whole beret thing.

flyboy53

Quote from: PA Guy on November 19, 2010, 11:15:43 PM
So, i have got to ask...

Why do you all hate NBB so much, and have you all been or are you just nerd raging?

I don't think most people have anything against the activity, it's the hat people have a problem with.  Most NCSA grads get a ribbon, patch and maybe a coin.  NBB requires that you attend a great airshow and work hard nothing more.  The NBB of today bears little resemblance to the orig. program that started the whole beret thing.

Agreed.

We had a cadet that came back from NBB this past year, wearing a beret, senior ground team badge, air search and rescue ribbon and a find ribbon with two devices. Then he copped an attitude with Group Staff who wanted verification for all the bling....and he still wears the beret to EVERYTHING...including when he's in his blues.

Someone out there want to verify all that? Since it's a national activity, why doesn't national upgrade the individual's ES qualifications and send the appropriate paperwork verifying the awards?

NCRblues

Quote from: flyboy1 on November 19, 2010, 11:29:59 PM
Quote from: PA Guy on November 19, 2010, 11:15:43 PM
So, i have got to ask...

Agreed.

We had a cadet that came back from NBB this past year, wearing a beret, senior ground team badge, air search and rescue ribbon and a find ribbon with two devices. Then he copped an attitude with Group Staff who wanted verification for all the bling....and he still wears the beret to EVERYTHING...including his blues.

Someone out there want to verify all that? Since it was a national activity, why doesn't national upgrade the individual's ES qualifications and send the appropriate paperwork verifying the awards?

I will defend NBB with a passion, but this cadet is wrong. He did not get gtl at NBB, he may have gotten the sar ribbon and there is no way he got the find ribbon with two devices. He got the basic find ribbon.

The reason national doesn't verify all the awards is that it is different for each flight. Some flight might get one find, another might get 10...it depends greatly.

Everyone knows the beret CAN NOT be worn with blues....so if he is in your squadron or you see him....correct him.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

PA Guy

Why doesn't the NBB admin staff send cadets home with something that verifies what they earned while there?

arajca

So, i have got to ask...

Many of us have had the very unpleasent experience of dealing the attitude problems that come back from NBB with the cow pie. Once upon a time, folks who completed NBB could wear the beret with all uniforms. Because of the attitudes that starting coming home with it, that authorization was revoked and, for a short time, the beret was banned. It has since been allowed back into wear with the bdu and bbdu by the NB, but the AF hasn't given its blessing on wearing it with the bdu. Of course, this hasn't stopped the NBB folks from wearing it any more than the AF saying no to boonies with the bdu has stopped ground teams from wearing that hat.

NCRblues

Quote from: PA Guy on November 19, 2010, 11:45:33 PM
Why doesn't the NBB admin staff send cadets home with something that verifies what they earned while there?

They do, ask for the graduation packet the cadets received. Every cadet and SM TAC get one, don't let them lie.  On them, it lists the number of sortis and finds and also the training that was completed.
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

isuhawkeye

Unless there has been a major change at NBB NCRBlues is correct.  Each participant gets a certificate of completion, a certificate listing the number of sorties, and number of finds.  The ES training that was completed should be documented in paper or on your computer system.

Dad2-4

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2010, 06:45:26 PM
The pre-HWSRN policy of only allowing the wear during and at NBB worked for for a long time and we need to go back to that.

:clap: Amen!

MICT1362

We had a cadet that came back from NBB this past year, wearing a beret, senior ground team badge, air search and rescue ribbon and a find ribbon with two devices. Then he copped an attitude with Group Staff who wanted verification for all the bling....and he still wears the beret to EVERYTHING...including when he's in his blues.

Please PM and tell me who this is?  And also ask them what flight they were in please.

Also, NCRBlues is very correct.  Each cadet gets a sheet in their graduation packet that tells you what ES skills they were signed off on, number of sorties they completed, and number of finds their flight received.  The ES skills were added into nationals system at the activity.

And for reference, I think that the most finds that any flight got during this last year was 6.  And I don't believe that any flight had enough sorties to get the SAR Ribbon.  So, when you have cadets in your units return from beret, ask them to present their graduation packet so that you can update their records.  This will allow your ES Officer to verify these numbers.

If anybody has questions about things like this, ask those of us who have been.  We all know cadets can over exaggerated a bit from time to time. (And no, I don't mean all of them.  But there are those that do.)  The Senior Staff would be happy to verify anything that you would like to know.

-Paramedic

SarDragon

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2010, 07:41:05 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 19, 2010, 07:38:24 PM
Nothing exudes professionalism quite like smelling of sheep.

Well, unless you are a Sheppard...

Would that be Sam Sheppard, or Scott S. Sheppard, or T. G. Sheppard, or Lito Sheppard, or Charles Bradford Sheppard, or another completely different Sheppard?

Or did you mean a shepherd?  >:D
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Eclipse

Quote from: SarDragon on November 20, 2010, 08:56:31 AM
Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2010, 07:41:05 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 19, 2010, 07:38:24 PM
Nothing exudes professionalism quite like smelling of sheep.

Well, unless you are a Sheppard...

Would that be Sam Sheppard, or Scott S. Sheppard, or T. G. Sheppard, or Lito Sheppard, or Charles Bradford Sheppard, or another completely different Sheppard?

Or did you mean a shepherd?  >:D

SARDRAGON!!!!!!!!!

"That Others May Zoom"

JoeTomasone

Quote from: NCRblues on November 19, 2010, 11:35:29 PM

We had a cadet that came back from NBB this past year, wearing  .... a find ribbon with two devices.

and there is no way he got the find ribbon with two devices. He got the basic find ribbon.

To amplify this, you get a find ribbon for your first find.  You get a device for each additional *20* non-distress finds.  I highly doubt that this cadet had either 3 distress finds or 41 non-distress finds at NBB.

He does know that training beacons don't count, right?

MICT1362

JoeTomasone

Quote from: MICT1362 on November 20, 2010, 05:07:15 PM
Quote from: JoeTomasone on November 20, 2010, 05:00:59 PM
He does know that training beacons don't count, right?
What are you implying?

That perhaps he thought that finding a training beacon during training or exercises counted.

MICT1362

Ok, just checking.  Trying to minimize the attacks that the activity gets.  I am working with flyboy1 on resolving this issue.  I believe that there are some misunderstanding on the cadets part about what his awards really are.

-Paramedic

flyboy53

Quote from: MICT1362 on November 20, 2010, 05:12:19 PM
Ok, just checking.  Trying to minimize the attacks that the activity gets.  I am working with flyboy1 on resolving this issue.  I believe that there are some misunderstanding on the cadets part about what his awards really are.

-Paramedic

Agreed. Let's let it be handled internally.

My faith is restored in the award. I didn't realize that NBB alumni and staff police themselves and put as much regard into the beret that I do as a former Security Forces member.

Bluelakes 13

Lets also not forget that qualifying for a ribbon/device does NOT mean it's approved for wear.  Only a unit commander can authorize that via a CAPF 2A.

PHall

-Paramedic

Nobody's attacking the activity, just some of the actions of a few of the "graduates".

Eclipse

Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on November 21, 2010, 03:20:00 AM
Lets also not forget that qualifying for a ribbon/device does NOT mean it's approved for wear.  Only a unit commander can authorize that via a CAPF 2A.

Meh - many are "self-actualizing" - I'm not going to expect a 2a for an encampment ribbon that is logged in eservices, or a red service, but I agree something like this needs to be approved, since someone should be checking the mission #'s, etc.

"That Others May Zoom"

MICT1362

Quote from: PHall on November 21, 2010, 03:20:55 AM

-Paramedic

Nobody's attacking the activity, just some of the actions of a few of the "graduates".

From time to time, some posts tend to imply that everyone that goes to this activity acts in the manner that you describe.  Those are the posts that I consider attacks.  I was clarifying a statement so that I did not react incorrectly to the post. 

I do not believe that every one is attacking the activity, but some of them do appear that way from time to time.

No harm done in this case.

Quote from: Eclipse on November 21, 2010, 03:43:55 AM
Quote from: Bluelakes 13 on November 21, 2010, 03:20:00 AM

Meh - many are "self-actualizing" - I'm not going to expect a 2a for an encampment ribbon that is logged in eservices, or a red service, but I agree something like this needs to be approved, since someone should be checking the mission #'s, etc.

Like I said before, if you have a cadet who attended the activity, simply ask them for their activity packet.  This allows the ES officer to log their sorties and finds in their ES folder.  Pretty simple.  Cadets that don't get much ES time don't always know that these need to be logged.  So, as Seniors, we need to help them out.

-Paramedic