Wearing you beret from NBB outside of NBB?

Started by Titan 25, November 18, 2010, 09:09:15 PM

Hawk200

Quote from: eaker.cadet on November 19, 2010, 06:35:43 PM
The simple solution would be to authorize all in CAP to wear the beret

1. We all look the same.
2. Vanguard makes some money SO that they can give PERCENTAGE back to CAP.
3. Everbody will be wearing it so it wont be considered that cool any more.

Problem solved............
The simple solution would be not to allow anyone to wear it. There the problem is solved.

1. We would all look the same using the standard headgear that is already out there. Out of everyone in CAP, it's a lot smaller group wearing the beret. There is no reason to require everyone else to go buy one to pander to the few who got it from NBB.

2. Authorizing a uniform item to make money is the wrong reason. It's not even all that practical. It's certainly not ethical.

3. No one would look cool, for the simple fact that no two people would wear it the same. Look at the procedures:

Beret

• Remove from package.
  • Remove lining, if there is one.
  • Shave beret.
  • Wet, put on, shape.
  • Wear until dry.
  • Fold properly for stowage. (Important! If not properly folded, will look improper when worn.)
  • Done.

Hat (Patrol Cap, BDU, whatever you wish to call it)

• Remove from packaging.
  • Place on head.
  • Done.

Big difference. When it comes to uniforms, simpler is far better.

I find it amusing how many people think it's so cool, until they have to wear one. It becomes apparent after a short while that it's just not all it's cracked up to be. And they're certainly not practical for use with utility uniforms (By which I mean: BDUs, Flightsuits, coveralls, any other clothing you work in.) It's designed to look pretty, not to be practical.

jimmydeanno

After all that shaping and fitting, you certainly don't want to throw it in the washing machine to clean it, unless you want to do the whole process over and over again.  Then, because you haven't washed it, you end up smelling like you have a barnyard on your head.

Nothing exudes professionalism quite like smelling of sheep.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Eclipse

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 19, 2010, 07:38:24 PM

Well, unless you are a Sheppard...

"That Others May Zoom"

Hawk200

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 19, 2010, 07:38:24 PM
After all that shaping and fitting, you certainly don't want to throw it in the washing machine to clean it, unless you want to do the whole process over and over again.  Then, because you haven't washed it, you end up smelling like you have a barnyard on your head.

Nice.

I'd be happy if mine smelled like a sheep. It doesn't smell that good.

a2capt

Besides, the things look like you had a giant muffin land on your head, too. Perhaps a giant meadow muffin.. ;)

MICT1362

Mind your insults.  They may come back to haunt you.

-Paramedic

NCRblues

This argument is the same all the time...

Someone asks if its ok to wear it. Half the people on here say yes, the other half no.

Then someone says "yes it is, the NB voted to allow it". Then someone else says " no no no, we are waiting for AF approval".

Then someone says my "insert command lever here" commander says we can wear it. Then someone else says "well your (insert command level here) commander is wrong".

Then we all decide that NHQ needs to clarify this so we can all move on with our lives.

So we are at the classic military stance....."stand by to stand by"......

Is that about right or...am i crazy?
In god we trust, all others we run through NCIC

MICT1362

RiverAux

Quote from: NCRblues on November 19, 2010, 10:01:44 PM
Then we all decide that NHQ needs to clarify this so we can all move on with our lives.
No need for clarity on this one. 

Since this is something that CAP can't change on our own without AF approval and the only way we have to tell if AF approval has been granted is to wait until such time as an approved ICL or revised reg comes out.  We can't just act on the assumption that the AF will approve of CAP's proposal (which despite a NB vote is all it actually is at this point) as they've rejected plenty before. 

Therefore, unquestionably the current reg is fully binding. 

If this was an issue where CAP had full control one can argue that minutes from the meeting of the governing body that approved the change is all we need even without an ICL/reg revision.  That isn't the case here. 

jimmydeanno

It is rather weird.  JROTC cadets have a multitude of berets that they wear in different colors.  They've already set the precedent for cadets wearing AF style uniforms to wear berets.  I'm not sure what the issue is.
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

HGjunkie

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 19, 2010, 10:35:15 PM
It is rather weird.  JROTC cadets have a multitude of berets that they wear in different colors.  They've already set the precedent for cadets wearing AF style uniforms to wear berets.  I'm not sure what the issue is.
We're not ROTC.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

NCRblues

Quote from: HGjunkie on November 19, 2010, 10:50:02 PM
Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 19, 2010, 10:35:15 PM
We're not ROTC.

they aren't ROTC either...they are junior ROTC

arajca

NCRblues

So, i have got to ask...

Why do you all hate NBB so much, and have you all been or are you just nerd raging?

HGjunkie

I want to go to NBB. I don't hate on something until i've experienced it.
••• retired
2d Lt USAF

jeders

Quote from: NCRblues on November 19, 2010, 10:56:08 PM
So, i have got to ask...

Why do you all hate NBB so much, and have you all been or are you just nerd raging?

I don't hate NBB, I love it. I think it is one of the best NCSAs that CAP has to offer. That being said, the current reg doesn't allow for the beret to be worn outside of NBB. What I, and I think most of us, have a problem with is not the beret itself. It's people ignoring the regs so they can wear it and then whining when they're told not to. It's the sense of entitlement that, in my belief, a small minority of NBB grads show when they leave Oshkosh.

If they update 39-1 to allow for the wearing of the NBB beret at all times outside of the activity, or abolish the beret all together, you'll never hear a bit of heartburn from me again, at least not over wearing the beret. No matter what, there will always be the minority of NBB grads with a sense of entitlement.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Flying Pig

I dont think anyone "hates" NBB. Many just dont think you need to come away with a beret for working an airshow.

jimmydeanno

So, i have got to ask...

I don't think anyone hates NBB.  I actually think it is a really cool program that is run and certainly unique in terms of activities offered by youth organizations.

The contention is the need/desire of the activities in general to create new uniform items that really serve no purpose.

Go to PJOC, get a patch.
Go to COS, get a patch.
Go to E-Tech, get a patch.
Go to "X", get a patch.

Go to Hawk Mountain, get an ascot, pistol belt, orange t-shirt, orange hat, white boot laces, whistle, and a patch.
Go to NBB, get a beret and a patch.

I mean, they named the activity after the hat, not even what is done there.

NCRblues

Quote from: jeders on November 19, 2010, 11:02:56 PM
So, i have got to ask...

I don't hate NBB, I love it. I think it is one of the best NCSAs that CAP has to offer. That being said, the current reg doesn't allow for the beret to be worn outside of NBB. What I, and I think most of us, have a problem with is not the beret itself. It's people ignoring the regs so they can wear it and then whining when they're told not to. It's the sense of entitlement that, in my belief, a small minority of NBB grads show when they leave Oshkosh.

If they update 39-1 to allow for the wearing of the NBB beret at all times outside of the activity, or abolish the beret all together, you'll never hear a bit of heartburn from me again, at least not over wearing the beret. No matter what, there will always be the minority of NBB grads with a sense of entitlement.

So when a wing commander, member of the NB, and director of NBB says we can wear it, when she has asked the region and national commander if we can wear it and they BOTH say we can, we have a sense of "entitlement"? I understand some members do, but do not group ALL that wear the beret into that category.

tsrup

Quote from: jimmydeanno on November 19, 2010, 11:05:32 PM
So, i have got to ask...

The contention is the need/desire of the activities in general to create new uniform items that really serve no purpose.

No purpose?  Not one?

I see the beret as a recruiting tool, and for cadets, it is a pretty good incentive to get them to go.  Cadet's like bling, and if a silly hat is all it takes to draw a cadet into a national activity, then I'm all for it.

Let's face it, NBB is different from other activities because CAP, oshkosh, and EAA NEEDs cadets to attend. 
Paramedic
hang-around.