Wearing you beret from NBB outside of NBB?

Started by Titan 25, November 18, 2010, 09:09:15 PM

Titan 25

Are you allowed to wear your blue beret after NBB? Let's say I was to go back to Utah and wear in with my BDU's at squadron meeting... is that allowed?
C/2d Lt Daniel K. Driskill
Flt. Commander
PHANTOM SQUADRONUTAH WING
MEMBER OF THE 2010 NATIONAL CHAMPION ROCKY MOUNTAIN REGION DRILL TEAM!!

jeders

Per M39-1, only worn at the special activity it was awarded at.

Now the longer answer. Use the search button, pleeeeeeeaaaaaaaasse (where's a pleading smiley?). We have beaten this topic to death over and over for the last several years.

Not trying to jump on you, please don't think that. Just saying the search function is your friend.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Titan 25

C/2d Lt Daniel K. Driskill
Flt. Commander
PHANTOM SQUADRONUTAH WING
MEMBER OF THE 2010 NATIONAL CHAMPION ROCKY MOUNTAIN REGION DRILL TEAM!!

a2capt

Just because it's been beaten to death, doesn't mean the answer they find is going to suit them, either. There is always someone that will say "but so and so said that they heard that someone said... " (we could).

Since I have not been to the activity, I don't know what they tell you at that activity about the hat that is given as part of that activity, but I have to presume they say "you can't wear this when you leave here unless specifically authorized"

Bluelakes 13

Quote from: ddriskill083 on November 18, 2010, 09:09:15 PM
Are you allowed to wear your blue beret after NBB? Let's say I was to go back to Utah and wear in with my BDU's at squadron meeting... is that allowed?

Cadet Driskill,

The answer you got from the anonymous poster is correct and succint, here is a longer explanation:

http://www.facebook.com/notes.php?id=789373380&notes_tab=app_2347471856#!/note.php?note_id=451531224107

Майор Хаткевич

The scary part is, some SMs are more adamant about the Beret than cadets...

Dad2-4

Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 19, 2010, 04:07:15 AM
I earned a blue beret while on active duty USAF, and still can't wear it in CAP. NBB attendees need to get over this topic. (No offense to any one individual)

flyboy53

Quote from: Dad2-4 on November 19, 2010, 07:56:52 AM
Quote from: USAFaux2004 on November 19, 2010, 04:07:15 AM
I earned a blue beret while on active duty USAF, and still can't wear it in CAP. NBB attendees need to get over this topic. (No offense to any one individual)

Don't start that. You know as well as I do that your blue beret is a duty uniform item, that is worn, just like your shield, while you are performing your duties. That's the AF Reg. I have a challenge coin to denote my beret flash. I carry it all the time. I still wear my qualification badge proudly. The beret sits, folded, with my medals in a box. It isn't appropriate to wear it with a CAP uniform, because that would infer that you are performing those same duties in CAP.

Cms.sloane

First, It has been explained to me from  Lt Col Regena Aye, the NBB Director, that you are able to wear the blue beret anytime you wish with the bdu uniform. It is not recommended to wear it on Ground team activity's. You may not wear it with blue's or service dress uniform unless you are attending a former blue beret funeral.  See my cadet commander wears his all the time with his bdu's because he is a recent graduate.

jeders

Quote from: Cms.sloane on November 19, 2010, 02:13:10 PM
See my cadet commander wears his all the time with his bdu's because he is a recent graduate.

Then he is wrong.

I respect Col Aye very much, but as the regs are written right now, her explanation is wrong. The NBB beret was never authorized for full time wear, and CAPM 39-1 still says that berets awarded at a special activity can only be worn at that activity.

Additionally, wearing a beret on a ground team is just plain dumb. There's a reason they don't wear berets on the flight line at NBB.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

lordmonar

Quote from: jeders on November 19, 2010, 02:33:00 PM
See my cadet commander wears his all the time with his bdu's because he is a recent graduate.

Then he is wrong.

I respect Col Aye very much, but as the regs are written right now, her explanation is wrong. The NBB beret was never authorized for full time wear, and CAPM 39-1 still says that berets awarded at a special activity can only be worn at that activity.

Additionally, wearing a beret on a ground team is just plain dumb. There's a reason they don't wear berets on the flight line at NBB.
Well......that is up for interpetation.

The NB did authorise the NBB beret for wear with the BDU's and BBDU's.

PATRICK M. HARRIS, SMSgt, CAP

jeders

Quote from: lordmonar on November 19, 2010, 02:36:34 PM
Quote from: jeders on November 19, 2010, 02:33:00 PM

Then he is wrong.

Well......that is up for interpetation.

The NB did authorise the NBB beret for wear with the BDU's and BBDU's.

Hence the reason that, in my first post, I said that this has been beaten to death here many times over.

As far as interpreting, we can all at least agree that it needs clarification.

DC

You may not wear it with blue's or service dress uniform unless you are attending a former blue beret funeral.
No regulation or National Board decision supports this. Berets were authorized for wear with BDUs and BBDUs by the NB, but that has not been placed into actual regulation by ICL or an update to 39-1.

I also do not believe that the Air Force has approved blue berets for wear with BDUs outside of NBB.

Eclipse

Why can't NHQ write a simple paragraph that ends this debate?

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: Eclipse on November 19, 2010, 04:32:35 PM
Why can't NHQ write a simple paragraph that ends this debate?

They took the easy way out and said certain items are pending AF approval...in 08...

Eclipse

^ And until then, the real answer is "do whatever the either nearest person or the highest person in your command orbit is comfortable with, and put it away if anyone in authority over you raises an objection".

Hint:  "This is the only hat I brought..." is the wrong answer.

"That Others May Zoom"

Sgt.Pain

C/CMSgt. Pain!

Here Ye, Hear Ye, On this great day I make a declaration! A declaration to LIVE FOREVER, or die trying.

Eclipse

Quote from: Sgt.Pain on November 19, 2010, 06:02:57 PM
Would somebody explain to me what NBB is?

National Blue Beret - the CAP NCSA that takes place around and during EAA Airventure in Oshkosh, WI.

"That Others May Zoom"

Persona non grata

The simple solution would be to authorize all in CAP to wear the beret

1. We all look the same.
2. Vanguard makes some money SO that they can give PERCENTAGE back to CAP.
3. Everbody will be wearing it so it wont be considered that cool any more.

Problem solved............
Rock, Flag & Eagle.........

Eclipse

Quote from: eaker.cadet on November 19, 2010, 06:35:43 PM
The simple solution would be to authorize all in CAP to wear the beret

That doesn't solve anything - in fact it makes it worse.

There are people in CAP who actually like a uniform look, and a fair number disdain the beret for any number of reasons.
The pre-HWSRN policy of only allowing the wear during and at NBB worked for for a long time and we need to go back to that.

Or just get rid of it altogether - it serves no purpose in CAP other than making us look ridiculous and causing a lot of confusion and arguments.

Quote from: eaker.cadet on November 19, 2010, 06:35:43 PM
3. Everbody will be wearing it so it wont be considered that cool any more.

Believe me, everyone would not be wearing it - the only thing worse than wearing an NBB beret outside of NBB, would be
members who haven't even been there wearing one. 

Yes, I know a few wings have asserted they have the authority to authorize the beret for other uses...see above.

"That Others May Zoom"