Main Menu

COS welcome letter

Started by Cadetter, March 15, 2017, 06:03:11 PM

C/ID-073

Quote from: Cadetter on March 15, 2017, 06:03:11 PM
I was slotted for COS but haven't received a welcome letter yet, and the site also doesn't seem to be updated yet http://www.ncsas.com/cos/. I'm not booking the flight until late April anyway, but should I be concerned? (I'm worried that me being a primary in eServices may be a fluke, haha.)

Also, any tips for a not-so-polished 2dLt attending COS? I have a couple months of free time beforehand, so I plan to do most, if not all, of the reading prior to attending, and I'll also be practicing writing.

Thanks!
Cadetter

Cadetter,
Congrats on getting accepted into COS! I was accepted into COS this year as well, perhaps we'll get to meet! Hopefully you got your welcome email by now, I got mine on the 20th.

I know they are eventually going to give us a packing list, and I'm not sure if this is on it; however, my brother went to COS in 2014, and he gave me the advice to bring a laptop of some sort. He didn't have a laptop, and turns out you kind of need one to do the assignments and they are helpful for taking notes and such. They found him one to use, but it was old and really heavy that he had to carry everywhere. So if you have a laptop, or Surface or something, I'd bring it!

Also, he brought a sling pack to COS, which works, but sometimes it's nice to have a decent backpack with separate zip up pockets so you aren't digging through everything to find what you need.

If you want, and you work hard, you could be a 1stLt. by COS! I'm shooting for Major hopefully by the time July finally comes. See you in Alabama!
Cadet Executive Officer
Idaho - Boise Composite Squadron

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail." - Benjamin Franklin

Cadetter

Quote from: C/ID-073 on March 27, 2017, 08:24:52 PM
Cadetter,
Congrats on getting accepted into COS! I was accepted into COS this year as well, perhaps we'll get to meet! Hopefully you got your welcome email by now, I got mine on the 20th.

I know they are eventually going to give us a packing list, and I'm not sure if this is on it; however, my brother went to COS in 2014, and he gave me the advice to bring a laptop of some sort. He didn't have a laptop, and turns out you kind of need one to do the assignments and they are helpful for taking notes and such. They found him one to use, but it was old and really heavy that he had to carry everywhere. So if you have a laptop, or Surface or something, I'd bring it!

Also, he brought a sling pack to COS, which works, but sometimes it's nice to have a decent backpack with separate zip up pockets so you aren't digging through everything to find what you need.

If you want, and you work hard, you could be a 1stLt. by COS! I'm shooting for Major hopefully by the time July finally comes. See you in Alabama!

Thanks! Congrats as well. I also got my welcome email on the 20th, although I haven't deposited quite yet for a couple reasons.

Thanks for the tips, I have a MacBook Pro for my classes anyway and it's pretty light, so I plan to bring it. A backpack hadn't crossed my mind, but I have some compartmentalized enough ones for COS, I hope (either my school or hiking one, probably the former).

Since I haven't earned Achievement 9 yet, it's a bit tight, but I'm certainly going to try. I'm not satisfied with my current version of the SDA and have little time to work on that until early May, and I need to get about 20 seconds off mile run as well. My goal is 1stLt though! :)

See you in Alabama :D
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018

Cadetter

Quote from: CAPDCCMOM on March 22, 2017, 02:38:38 AM
Cadetter, have your CDC or CC get in touch with the Encampment Commander if you need any special academic accommodations.  There are plenty of people, Cadets and Senior Officers, there to help you. Or even let me know if I can help.

Oh, I have no special needs, but thank you for the offer and advise :)
Wright Brothers Award, 2013
Billy Mitchell Award, 2016
Earhart Award, 2018