Senior Member Application Arrests

Started by Darknight87, October 17, 2018, 10:20:48 AM

Darknight87

So i posted a thread before and i believe i spoke to much so im gonna make this simple, i have 4 misdemeanor charges since 2007. Well start with the first

May 2007 reckless driving. Misdemeanor no arrest
I was young and just got outa high school "class of 06" I thought street racing was cool till I knew people who had died.

Feb 2010. DUI. Arrested. I hung out with a bad crowd and was drugged at a party as some kind of joke. Later told to me by a few people who where there to party. Since then I don't drink.

Feb 2010. Leaving the scene. Arrested. This happened the same date of my dui and I had no idea this had happened since I don't remember anything but showing up at this party.

May 2012. Battery (dating violence). Arrested. This was a argument between my girl friend and me at the time. We were shouting at yelling at each other without a touch. Girlfriend fled before the police arrived and I was automatically charged with battery since Florida has a zero tolerance on assault.

I was in CAP all through high school and held up the standards very high. I was training for Ground team member when I had to leave on short notice. I would like to go back and learn to be a pilot or work on a ground team again. I've found a senior squadron and just set up a date to meet with them in a week.

Do you think I won't be accepted? I learned from all my mistakes and the years of it beating me up.
I'm sorry for what I've done and I know it will never happen again

EMT-83

As previously posted, no one here an answer that question. Submit the application, be honest, and see what happens.

TheSkyHornet

Have you talked to your local unit about this yet?

Eclipse

Quote from: EMT-83 on October 17, 2018, 10:45:49 AM
As previously posted, no one here an answer that question. Submit the application, be honest, and see what happens.

+1 - for everything up there, the range is "no CAP-DL to No membership".  It starts with your attending a few meetings to
even see if CAP, in its current state both program wise and local-execution-wise even interest you, and that you'd
be a fit with the members at the local squadron.

After you decide you'd still want to join is the time to have a frank discussion with the Unit CC, NOT BEFORE.

TL:DR - Go to meetings and check it out, don't walk in on the first night telling tales of your history.

"That Others May Zoom"

TheSkyHornet

I would recommend this as a "Sir/Ma'am, can we talk on the side for a moment? Somewhere a little more private? .... So I've been visiting a couple of times here, as you know. I wanted to discuss some past issues that may prevent my membership..."

Even if they can't affect the change, it wouldn't hurt to disclose it at that point. Now, the unit commander may say "Hey, look---I'm really just not comfortable putting my signature on your paperwork here to forward on." But maybe he/she says "I appreciate you being upfront with me, and I can include a personal letter to submit with your packet."

Who knows?

But I strongly encourage you talking to them about it. Don't sit on it for weeks and have a Google search turn up with your priors, such as what occurred at our unit with a potential applicant who had some pretty serious convictions (I'd call them 'way worse' than what you've described, just on a moral level). I'm not sure if that applicant ever knew we found out; it was never brought up. We were kind of just waiting for him to mention it at some point and dropping the "Hey, we're aware, but we appreciate you taking the time to inform us." They never would have made it past the background check on that; and NHQ doubtfully would have approved the membership.

But you have to be upfront about these things. You learning from your mistakes doesn't mean anything to a membership committee. They aren't your parole board. They can't tell "I'm sorry" from "I won't do it again" from "I don't know what will happen in the future." You need to sell yourself as someone they can rely on (and not everyone needs to know your life story). The NHQ application will never be seen along with your accounts of what 'really occurred' or your statements. The background check will provide the conviction, and they'll decide if it's something they can look past.

Your record will look something like....

QuoteMisdemeanors Found: 3
Felonies Found: 1
DUI/OVI Found: 1

Charges:
May 2007, Reckless Operation of a Motor Vehicle.
Disposition: Guilty.
Sentence: Fines/Cost (+$$$).

Charges: February 2010, Operation of a Motor Vehicle Under the Influence of an Illicit Substance.
Sentence: (Jail Time).

Charges: February 2010, Fleeing the Scene of a Crime in Progress.
Sentence: (Jail Time/Fines).

Charges: May 2012, Battery / Aggravated Assault.
Sentence: (Jail Time).

There won't be any narrative to go along with it.

I think your best effort is to demonstrate to your local unit that you're someone of quality character who has moved on in his life to become an upstanding citizen who can contribute to the quality of the unit and CAP.

+2 to the gents above who have stated the same: this is a see what happens thing that you need to be honest about.

I can't say what's to come your way. We don't know you. We don't know your personality. We haven't met you in person to determine what you're like. My honest opinion is that your record isn't too hot. You have some pretty serious charges that occurred within the past 10 years.

Hey, good luck man. But we can't tell you what's going to happen.

Mitchell 1969

As has been pointed out in this thread and the prior one, the only way to learn if you have disqualifying factors is to apply.

If you are asked about the events, be 100% truthful. I've seen too many people who omit things, either because they didn't think they would be found, or because they didn't believe them to be important. It's not up to you to decide what is or is not important. It's up to you to supply the complete truth. (Many things, especially after time has elapsed, can be forgiven. But withholding information from your application is not only lying, it is up-to-the-minute RECENT lying. Don't EVER do that).

FWIW - I don't believe the story about the battery arrest. In your prior post you said that girlfriend was gone from the scene when police showed up and they arrested YOU because they said "When we respond to these, somebody has to go to jail." I'm not buying that. It doesn't make sense to simply grab somebody and say "You'll do, come with us, you're under arrest." What? Next time if you run faster they'll give you a pass? It doesn't work that way. If I was reviewing that crime on a background check, especially with that weak nonsensical explanation, you can bet that I'd be making some phone calls to several people to try and confirm it. Sorry, it just doesn't pass the smell test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mitchell 1969; Earhart 1971; Eaker 1973. Cadet Flying Encampment, License, 1970. IACE New Zealand 1971; IACE Korea 1973.

CAP has been bery, bery good to me.

vfa87goldenwarriors

This is from the CAP website:

"All active adult members must be screened and registered by National Headquarters. The screening process requires that the individual complete an FD 258 fingerprint card used by NHQ to request an FBI criminal records check to determine membership eligibility. Felony convictions or patterns of arrests and/or convictions including, but not limited to sex offenses, child abuse, DUIs, dishonesty and violence may be the basis for rejection of membership. Reports received from the FBI are maintained in strict confidence by NHQ and not released. 

There are no waivers for the fingerprint card requirement, regardless of your current security clearance or recent criminal background check for another organization or company."

https://www.gocivilairpatrol.com/join/active-adult-in-cap/senior-faqs/why-do-they-have-to-be-fingerprinted