What to look for in a Squadron?

Started by pppatacki, August 23, 2009, 07:41:22 PM

pppatacki

Hi all. I am looking at joining CAP (Senior Member) and have been lurking here as well as all CAP related websites to understand what CAP is all about. Lots of good information. I am visiting a couple Squadrans over the next few weeks to see how the meetings go, ask some quesitons and check out the culture. One of these Squadrons is close to work and one is close to home but there both within 30 minutes of each other so distance isn't an issue.

What should I be looking for a these meetings if I am trying to find a "good" squadron? Or are there things I should looking for that would be red flags?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Pete

MIKE

I'd look at the health of the senior program... i.e. activities other than glorified babysitter.  Even if you want to be a glorified babysitter, there should be other opportunities available that would be of interest to seniors... for some cadet-centric squadrons, particularly ones with very little real operational role or none at all, the bulk of the "senior programs" revolves around the professional development you most often do on your own time.
Mike Johnston

SarDragon

This is certainly not all inclusive, but I would suggest looking at what your interests in CAP are, and then comparing those with what's available from each local unit that you are considering. There's not much point in joining a unit that doesn't offer the things you are looking for.

Take a look at the welcome you get. If you get shuffled into a corner to "observe", you might rethink choosing that unit. If you get an enthusiastic welcome, then discuss what potential job you might be doing in the unit. Some places are desperate for new members, and will try to "suck you in" in hopes of filling an empty unpopular job. This may not happen very often, but it's something to consider.

I'm sure other folks will have different suggestions.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

pppatacki

Well I am looking to get three things out of CAP.

1-Get back into aviation. I have a commercial licence that has not been used in over 10 years.
2- Self development - Learn something new, chalange myself.
3- Volunteer- Give back to the communiity.

All three I beleive are good fits for CAP in general if I find a good squadron.

DC

Quote from: pppatacki on August 24, 2009, 12:35:40 AM
Well I am looking to get three things out of CAP.

1-Get back into aviation. I have a commercial licence that has not been used in over 10 years.
2- Self development - Learn something new, chalange myself.
3- Volunteer- Give back to the communiity.

All three I beleive are good fits for CAP in general if I find a good squadron.
In that case, be sure to look for and ask about an active air ops side of the squadron. Not all CAP units have aircraft, and even some of those that do don't use them as much as they should.

I would also pay particular attention to the atmosphere created by the members; how do they interact with each other, how do they treat you as a visitor? Some treat CAP like a flying club with uniforms, while other units are very strict about military discipline and customs & courtesies. It really depends on what you are looking for, but beware of one type or the other.

pppatacki

Thanks for the input guys. If anyone else has some thoughts, please  share.

RiverAux

Pay attention to the attitude of the people you talk with and their general mood.  If you run into a squadron where they sort of grouse about red tape and the like in terms of getting qualified to do something, you might want to move on to a unit with a more can-do spirit. 

It really is about activity though.  Are they actually doing training at their meetings or just sort of sitting around? 

Airrace

I would first check out their website. If they have regular activities that you are interested in then you are in the right spot. I for one like to look at their calandar of events, if they have alot of training events on regular bases that is good thing. You may want to also see how many members they have. But don't forget alot of squadrons may have 40 members but only 10 are active. My last idea would be to read over their newsletter and see if any thing they are doing interest you.

Hope this helps.

RiverAux

But don't get worried if they don't have a website -- many of even the most active squadrons don't have one.  All that means is that they don't have someone interested in putting together and running one, but they might be going gangbusters on other CAP programs.

pppatacki

Thanks for all the input. I did stop by a squadron last night and was very impressed. They obviously had alot of pride it what they were doing. The recruiting officer spent about a half hour just explaining to me how things work.