Admin & Personnel Officer Duties in Plain English

Started by Dutchboy, September 15, 2008, 06:38:29 PM

Dutchboy

In plain english can someone tell me what the duties of the admin & personnel officer are?

More descriptive title edit - MIKE

jeders

Basically the Admin and Personnel Officers are responsible for everything administrative. Any paperwork that needs to be done is done by the admin officer. Anything having to do with personnel files and personnel is done by the personnel officer. Though now that we're moving towards a paperless system, admin and personnel officers have less to do.
If you are confident in you abilities and experience, whether someone else is impressed is irrelevant. - Eclipse

Dutchboy

JC004

Update personnel files...do paperwork like promotions.  Occasional paperwork like an changing the squadron address, etc.  Used to keep the reg book, but they aren't printing that stuff anymore, really.

jimmydeanno

Administration personnel were/are responsible for:

1) Preparing correspondence for the commander/squadron.
2) Updating regulations in the squadron library.
3) Logging all official correspondence that comes and goes through the squadron.

Personnel Officers are responsible for:

1) Ensuring that member's personnel records are up to date and accurate.
2) Processing member related paperwork (2a's, CAPF 11s, etc)
3) Processing award and decoration paperwork, renewals, new members, transfers, retirements, etc (paperwork for all these)
5) Organizational actions (charters, activation, deactivation, etc)
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

Dutchboy

Quote from: jimmydeanno on September 15, 2008, 07:29:54 PM
Administration personnel were/are responsible for:

1) Preparing correspondence for the commander/squadron.
2) Updating regulations in the squadron library.
3) Logging all official correspondence that comes and goes through the squadron.

Personnel Officers are responsible for:

1) Ensuring that member's personnel records are up to date and accurate.
2) Processing member related paperwork (2a's, CAPF 11s, etc)
3) Processing award and decoration paperwork, renewals, new members, transfers, retirements, etc (paperwork for all these)
5) Organizational actions (charters, activation, deactivation, etc)

So is the squadron mail suppose to goto the squadron commander or admin officer, in the case of not having a permanent meeting place mailing address?

Al Sayre

Send it to the Squadron Commander, he can then distribute it for action as he sees fit.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Dutchboy

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 15, 2008, 08:01:40 PM
Send it to the Squadron Commander, he can then distribute it for action as he sees fit.

If the squadron commander gets it, how does the admin officer keep a log of all correspondence like they are suppose to? Just curious.

Al Sayre

They keep a log of "Official Correspondence", Squadron Commanders get a LOT of junk mail...
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

Dutchboy

Quote from: Al Sayre on September 15, 2008, 08:07:25 PM
They keep a log of "Official Correspondence", Squadron Commanders get a LOT of junk mail...

still does not answer my question. offial or not how does admin do it if not recieving it?

SarDragon

It's immaterial who checks the mailbox. It's the responsibility of that person to give all the mail to the Admin Officer or the Commander for distribution. I've seen it done both ways in different units I've been in.

When the mail is distributed the mail, the Admin Officer should see it long enough to log it before it goes to the final recipient.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Dutchboy

Grumpy

I think I know where you're coming from.  I used to keep a log of all incoming and outgoing correspondence.  It has gotten so the Cmdr intercepts it now and I don't see it to make proper log entries and distribution.

After a year or so of fighting and complaining I have now adapted the "Oh well" attitude.  Makes life easier.

LtCol057

Several years ago when I was admin officer, we had a PO box, and I'd pick up the mail daily. Then, we got a new squadron commander, and he had all mail sent to his house.  Problem was, he wouldn't look at it or distribute it. We'd get notices of upcoming events sometimes 2 months after the fact.  He did all paperwork, didn't keep copies of anything, didn't file anything either.  When the members started coming to me complaining about things that weren't being followed up on, I told them to check with him, I wasn't being allowed to do my duty.  Several members went to the group commander.

Long story short, now I'm the squadron commander. All important mail comes to me, I check it every day, and take it to the squadron building every week and put it in each departments mail box.  I'm still having a problem with a couple of members sending paperwork to Wg without going thru me or making copies, but they'll learn soon. I scan or make a copy of every piece of mail I send to Group and Wing.   I learned when I was a paramedic to CYA, also to CMOA.

Grumpy

I can relate, I used to log everything in and everything out.  Now I what's coming or going and now more and more is being done on the computer.  I guess it saves trees.  ;D