Additional Level V requirement -- research paper

Started by RiverAux, September 14, 2008, 04:24:39 PM

DNall

We mentioned earlier in the thread making it a requirement & discussion item for RSC/Lvl IV. And 5-10 pages is what I had in mind.

I don't think everyone needs to be a LtCol. If they can't at least do a serious paper with deep examination of an issue that thru presentation and discussion makes CAP better, I don't see the need for them to be LtCols.

As far as Lvl V, I think it ought to be a requirement to retain Col after holding a position that requires it, and a prereq to at least CAP/CC & CCV, maybe Reg/CC as well, I don't know.

BillB

The 1970's original Level V, required Air War College which included a research paper of twenty pages.  It also included completing Industrial College of the Armed Forces by corrospondance or weekend seminar (held for reservists at various locations)  So todays Level V is watered down
Gil Robb Wilson # 19
Gil Robb Wilson # 104

Al Sayre

Wow, almost a 2 yr bump here.  After re-reading everything, I had a new thought on this idea:  Ok, so I write a paper, who is going to grade it and by what criteria? 

Example 1:  If I can write about anything I want, I can play "stump the chump"and write about arcane methods of nuclear instrumentation or something else that maybe 500 people in the country have enough knowledge of the subject to grade the content.  So now once again we have have a writing exercise.

Example 2:  I write about a CAP topic or issue that is passionate to me, but the grader either doesn't care about it or is completely on the other side of the fence on the issue, do I fail?  Again we are left with a writing exercise.

I see no way to have any objective criteria for grading the content of the paper, so what we are left with is a writing exercise, which IMHO is a waste of time.
Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

ascorbate

Interestingly, the Carl A. Spaatz exam requires cadets to write a paper as a requirement.

Next, the suggestion of seniors officers having to write a research oriented paper (6-10 pages) for completion of Level V sits well with this aspiring Level V candidate. I also heavily favor the publication of a CAP peer-reviewed journal dedicated to disseminating these written works... sign me up as a peer reviewer!

I also have to say this (while hoping that I am not the first one to think it)... we have senior officers who have progressed far in this organization who don't read, write or express themselves very well. A research paper is not going to fix this but it might foster an environment of further self-improvment for those looking to progress thru Level IV or V in the CAP PD program.

IMO, the requirement of a research paper will not dissuade senior officers from aspiring to progress to Level V in the CAP PD program. Most who have already achieved Level IV were determined and persistent in addition to being goal-oriented. Adding this requirement would deter few from going forward to Level V!
Dr. Mark A. Kukucka, Lt Col, CAP
Missions Directorate (A7), MD-001
Carl A. Spaatz Award #569
Gill Robb Wilson Award #3004

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: ascorbate on August 05, 2010, 04:04:35 PM
Interestingly, the Carl A. Spaatz exam requires cadets to write a paper as a requirement.

Next, the suggestion of seniors officers having to write a research oriented paper (6-10 pages) for completion of Level V sits well with this aspiring Level V candidate. I also heavily favor the publication of a CAP peer-reviewed journal dedicated to disseminating these written works... sign me up as a peer reviewer!

I also have to say this (while hoping that I am not the first one to think it)... we have senior officers who have progressed far in this organization who don't read, write or express themselves very well. A research paper is not going to fix this but it might foster an environment of further self-improvment for those looking to progress thru Level IV or V in the CAP PD program.

IMO, the requirement of a research paper will not dissuade senior officers from aspiring to progress to Level V in the CAP PD program. Most who have already achieved Level IV were determined and persistent in addition to being goal-oriented. Adding this requirement would deter few from going forward to Level V!

Those who would say "forget about it" because of a paper stopped at/before level 2. :)

Short Field

Quote from: BillB on August 05, 2010, 10:04:01 AM
The 1970's original Level V, required Air War College which included a research paper of twenty pages.  It also included completing Industrial College of the Armed Forces by corrospondance or weekend seminar (held for reservists at various locations)
So just start requiring AWC for Level V and ACSC for Level IV.  I am sure the bump in professional development would become very noticeable in a few years.
SAR/DR MP, ARCHOP, AOBD, GTM1, GBD, LSC, FASC, LO, PIO, MSO(T), & IC2
Wilson #2640

Al Sayre

Or completion would drop to almost nil, since it isn't required for promotion to Lt Col or anything else... 

I still don't understand the problem you are trying to solve.  If someone cannot write effectively, then it's fairly unlikely that they would make it to/through the current NSC curriculum, and even less likely that struggling to produce a single white paper will significantly increase their skill level.  So why do we need to add another obstacle? 

Lt Col Al Sayre
MS Wing Staff Dude
Admiral, Great Navy of the State of Nebraska
GRW #2787

SarDragon

This is perhaps an unfair assessment, but the writing skills showing up in many of the posts on here, by Level III members, do not reflect what y'all seem to be expecting from Level IV and V members.
Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: SarDragon on August 06, 2010, 01:23:29 AM
This is perhaps an unfair assessment, but the writing skills showing up in many of the posts on here, by Level III members, do not reflect what y'all seem to be expecting from Level IV and V members.

Ah, but the topic is two years old, so they were but Level II members at that point!  :angel: >:D

SarDragon

Dave Bowles
Maj, CAP
AT1, USN Retired
50 Year Member
Mitchell Award (unnumbered)
C/WO, CAP, Ret

arajca

flyboy53

Unless I'm missing something here, there are a bunch of you who haven't gone to NSC lately.

Students are already required to do a research paper, as such, as a group project and presentation. The difference, though, is that it is done as a team effort, which promotes mentoring, sharing knowledge, and teamwork.

If you take NSC seriously, the eight days you're there are pretty intensive enough, between the presentations, required reading, exercises and the group project. I'm sure that most of the 09 grads are taking great satisfaction in the fact that the group projects on social media are now taking the form of national level guidance and policy.

Requiring another term paper may defeat the purpose of the school, which would also mean that things like the required readings and some of the other exercises, would surely suffer. It would require the use of individual computers and the related task time. It would also be an added expense if NSC is not to supply them,

ProdigalJim

I know this is an old thread, but I saw a few folks who came in to jump-start it again, and I, as a new guy, found the whole thread fascinating.

So...

On the "it's too hard for volunteers" notion: in my "other" volunteer life, I'm a firefighter/medic in a large suburban combined career/volunteer dept. (1,200+ members, 40+ firehouses, over a million residents protected). I couldn't so much as pick up a hose line on a fireground until I had completed a seven-month Fire Academy and another month of driving school (so you don't crunch apparatus!), which involved both weekend days (Sat and Sun) for about 10 hours each, plus, typically, a five-hour Tuesday and Thursday evening, plus other days as needed. In other words, 30+ hours a week of training just for the basic qualification, on top of my day job, for months on end. Not bragging in any way, shape, or form, honest, just saying that there are places where volunteers still have to devote lots and lots of time. Paramedic school was more than a year.

I happen to think the idea of a professional journal is terrific, and would promote knowledge-sharing among the entire membership and a higher level of debate across the board.

Recognizing the sentiment that folks don't want to see another hurdle added to the Level V path, maybe the thing to do is not to tie the creation/existence of a journal to an NSC requirement; just set up an Editorial Board, find and screen some peer reviewers with solid CAP credentials, and have at it. Let those with good ideas, at any PD level, do their research, report their findings, and submit. If the peer reviewers think it passes muster, then we accept it for publication.

Maybe I'll even volunteer to do this my very own self... ;D
Jim Mathews, Lt. Col., CAP
VAWG/CV
My Mitchell Has Four Digits...