A few ideas for our officer program, education wise

Started by Hawk200, November 12, 2007, 06:50:05 PM

Hawk200

Had an idea to throw out there. Isn't Civil Air Patrol currently aligned under Air University? Since Air University is an educational establishment, what about looking into getting many of our CAP officer courses accredited, and make them transferrable to colleges?

Our Pro Dev needs help, and our initial training needs help. Why don't we create a Pro Dev program for our officers that could reward advancement with college credits?

mikeylikey

Good luck.......the AF will NEVER spend more money then what we all ready get!
What's up monkeys?

arajca

Last year, the commander of AU offered to help CAP update/develop training as long as no tdy money was needed. I haven't heard if CAP took him up on this offer.

jimmydeanno

Quote from: mikeylikey on November 12, 2007, 07:16:53 PM
Good luck.......the AF will NEVER spend more money then what we all ready get!

Why do you say that?  You don't think we'll ever get a budget increase or you don't think that the PD courses will be allowed to use appropriated dollars?

For example (numbers made up)

OPTION A:

2008 APPROPRIATED FUNDS: 40 Million
2009 APPROPRIATED FUNDS: 45 Million

additional 5 million to include new accredited PD courses

OPTION B:

2008 APPROPRIATED FUNDS: 40 Million
2009 APPROPRIATED FUNDS: 40 Million

AF says we can use appropriate  funds for PD courses, but we get the same amount of money, which causes a decrease in funding for certain areas...
If you have ten thousand regulations you destroy all respect for the law. - Winston Churchill

JohnKachenmeister

There was some talk about a masters' degree program that would be opened up to CAP officers after the first of the year.
Another former CAP officer

arajca

That's the Air Command and Staff College program. There are two options for AF officers needing it - the traditional residence/seminar/dl program or the new ACSC Masters DL program. Both earn credit for intermediate PME, but the masters program also earns a masters degree. Currently, only the traditional DL program is open to CAP members, but ACSC expects to open the Masters program to other than AF officers early next year. This should include CAP officers, Major and above.

RogueLeader

Quote from: Hawk200 on November 12, 2007, 06:50:05 PM
Had an idea to throw out there. Isn't Civil Air Patrol currently aligned under Air University? Since Air University is an educational establishment, what about looking into getting many of our CAP officer courses accredited, and make them transferrable to colleges?

Had it not been for the final test for ECI-13, I could have used it for  business communications.  I also know that many of the courses are transferable.  You just have to talk to the right person at the Registrar.
WYWG DP

GRW 3340

IceNine

There is a guide somewhere on the AFIADL website stating what courses are accredited and what the credits are.  It is standard and the accreditation comes from the CCAF.  I will look for it tommorow after work and get back to you.

"All of the true things that I am about to tell you are shameless lies"

Book of Bokonon
Chapter 4