a potential recruiting website?

Started by brasda91, August 12, 2007, 08:44:21 PM

brasda91

I ran across this website.. www.volunteermatch.org.  Thought it might be a good way to present your squadron to the community and recruit new members.  I have signed my squadron up.  I was questioned at first on the employer id number (being it's the same as national).  But after a quick reply that our unit is just one of many that comprise CAP, the squadron was approved and my volunteer positions are being listed.  No hits yet.   :(
Wade Dillworth, Maj.
Paducah Composite Squadron
www.kywgcap.org/ky011

JC004

I've had good results from them.  Highly recommended.

LtCol Hooligan

I put my squadron on it 9 months ago and we got 2 foreign exchange students off of it.  I think it depends on how popular it is in your community.  One little trick I do is update it every 3 months or so to keep the volunteer openings at the top of the list.
ERIK C. LUDLOW, Lt Col, CAP
Director of IT; Director of Cadet Programs
North Dakota Wing, Civil Air Patrol
http://www.ndcap.us

RiverAux

Have a few inquires every now and again from the site, but no actual recruits. 

JC004

Quote from: RiverAux on August 13, 2007, 10:30:38 PM
Have a few inquires every now and again from the site, but no actual recruits. 

The recruiting lists from national were very much the same way when we did a lot with those.  People inquired on that online form, but very few if any members from most of the lists that came down.

Pylon

I put a lot of positions and opportunities to appeal to a wide audience.  We also list at 1800volunteer.com (through the United Way).  Have had responses to both and recommend it.

It's a free way to solicit new recruits, without spending much time other than initial set-up.  Can't beat that.

It'd be great, though, if the CAP national recruiting budget somehow covered the "upgraded/premium" status for CAP units recruting on VolunteerMatch.  There's a lot of value-added benefits there, but $75/year is steep for one squadron.
Michael F. Kieloch, Maj, CAP

mikeylikey

NHQ really has dropped the ball in the recruiting arena.  They had some billboards up around 2002-2003.  I think that was GENIUS!  I would like to see some stats on the success or failure of that plan.  Since then they have done almost NOTHING.  They need to spend 5 million on getting in with a large ad firm, instead of sponsoring a race car.  They should also be taking out space in every single AF base newspaper advertising CAP.  Get AD members and get their children as well.  We should also get into on line advertising.  I hate banners and pop-ups, but I read them before I close them.  I am sure others do the same. 

I am no marketing wiz, but I think I could have done better than the PAID folks at Maxwell are doing.
What's up monkeys?

smj58501

^^ Based on scuttlebutt feedback I have received from NB attendees, apparently there will be a big awareness/ recruiting push for CAP in October. NB attendees returned to their states with the packets. I may be wrong, but this sounds like a grassroots-driven, community-based effort with a common theme and coordination at the NHQ's level.

Stand by for more I guess.
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

mikeylikey

^ Let me guess......pakcets from the NB meeting, big push in October for new members........I got it.  OCTOBERFEST!  Free beer at all weekly meetings for the first 50,000 that sign up!  WOO-------HOOOOOO!
What's up monkeys?

smj58501

^ if it' stupid and it works, it isn't stupid.  :)
Sean M. Johnson
Lt Col, CAP
Chief of Staff
ND Wing CAP

pixelwonk

Quote from: mikeylikey on August 14, 2007, 05:11:37 PM

I am no marketing wiz, but I think I could have done better than the PAID folks at Maxwell are doing.

I haven't worked with you, but I have worked with them, so I'd like to see that. And, I'd buy you a Barley-Pop if you were right. A lot of them.

Folks... is it necessary for the workings of the NHQ marketing team to be virtually in our faces 24-7 before we acknowledge that they are doing their jobs?  Are we prepared to receive the droves of recruits that come flooding in because of the recruitment efforts that we feel those at NHQ need to be doing?

Primary recruitment has to be done locally.  If I had a dollar for every potential member I talked to at EAA who tried to get in touch with their local CAP POCs but were unsuccessful or downright ignored
...Well, I wouldn't be rich, but I'd have been able to afford a few $10 cheeseburgers at the food tents.

I've worked for a very large nonprofit managing other paid staffers, plus volunteers.  The volunteer status gives us the opportunity to offer our opinions despite whether they're asked for, and no matter if they're spot-on or misguided.  I know that's simply the nature of the game.   I just hope we're getting our own houses in order while were doing it.   

* tedda is not being held hostage by a NHQ staff person.

Skyray

Quote* tedda is not being held hostage by a NHQ staff person.

However, they are holding his little sister and threatening to put her nude picture on myspace.
Doug Johnson - Miami

Always Active-Sometimes a Member

mikeylikey

^  Yikes.  Let's not joke about that!
What's up monkeys?

Tubacap

I just sent out the some PSA's off out of the PAO toolkit and the company that is going to run them was really impressed with them. (Didn't change the price at all.)
William Schlosser, Major CAP
NER-PA-001