Active/Inactive Status--the true meaning

Started by SC-CAP-Mom, October 14, 2016, 12:05:29 PM

SC-CAP-Mom

We have several cadets and senior members that pay dues but never darken our doorway.  ::)

I would personally believe them to be inactive members. Yet in eservices it marks them active. Assumably because they pay money.

What is the CAP definition of an active member?
SM & mom of Cadet
Positions--DP and HSO

Eclipse

"That Others May Zoom"

capmaj

Active usually means current/paid to NHQ. Generally, sub-units will put an "inactive" member into triple 0.

FW

An "Active" member is anyone who pays their dues, and has not selected "Patron", "CSM", "AEM", "Retired", or "Legislative" on their application or renewal.  It is strictly an administrative category.   Senior members can remain on "Active" status, as long as they wish.  Cadets, however my remain "Active" as long as they participate, as defined by their Sq. Commander.  Cadets no longer interested in participating in the program should be removed via the "2B" process. 

Fubar

Quote from: capmaj on October 14, 2016, 02:45:37 PM
Active usually means current/paid to NHQ. Generally, sub-units will put an "inactive" member into triple 0.

Then the squadron loses any squadron dues they were collecting from the check-writing member.

Eclipse

Quote from: Fubar on October 14, 2016, 05:46:54 PM

Then the squadron loses any squadron dues they were collecting from the check-writing member.

What dues are those?  I would hazard most units don't charge dues, and you certainly can't collect
money from people who never show up, don't respond to or do not provide contact information.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Units have been advised in various ways by their chains of command to limit this practice.

Now that having a "not-active" member on your rolls doesn't count against you for safety currency purposes, there is no reason the play that shell game.
Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

Quote from: NIN on October 14, 2016, 06:55:41 PM
Now that having a "not-active" member on your rolls doesn't count against you for safety currency purposes, there is no reason the play that shell game.

That's incorrect, NHQ still tracks everyone's currency and includes it in the CC's dashboard, ditto for Yeager, PD levels, and other areas.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on October 14, 2016, 06:55:41 PM
there is no reason the play that shell game.

Isn't the shell game having inactive/disengaged members listed as active?

Eclipse

Quote from: Майор Хаткевич on October 14, 2016, 07:01:47 PM

One would think so, unless you're talking about Enron Composite.

"That Others May Zoom"

NIN

Is someone crawling up your backside because some guy who was active last year hasn't done his safety briefing for this month?

If the answer is "no," then you're good. Its not like that guy is draining off valuable resources.

We've had these kinds of members on our books in the 35+ years I've been a member.

Sure, it would be better to actively engage these people, but some people are long time members and wish to remain members even if their personal situation doesn't allow them to be active at the moment.  Folks who have been on the books for centuries and you never see them, well, they're still financial supporters of the organization, right?

Shuffling people off into a "holding squadron" just to make your books look pretty isn't helping things either, and isn't likely to promote the re-engagement of that member.

Darin Ninness, Col, CAP
I have no responsibilities whatsoever
I like to have Difficult Adult Conversations™
The contents of this post are Copyright © 2007-2024 by NIN. All rights are reserved. Specific permission is given to quote this post here on CAP-Talk only.

Eclipse

The first answer is "yes" - higher HQ sets goals for the year, attainable, reasonable goals, that can't be met because
of empty shirts.  Again, the asterisk becomes a pinch-point for the CC to zero gain for him.

And the odds of "re-engaging" someone who hasn't been to a meeting in a decade and "no one has ever met"aren't likely,
especially if their CAPID starts with a 1.

000 relieves the squadron from having to track these people while still allowing the wing to get their dues through renewal.
Now that records are moving to all-electronic, the burden is somewhat lower, but they still need to be tracked.

"That Others May Zoom"

Майор Хаткевич

Quote from: NIN on October 14, 2016, 07:12:15 PM

Is someone crawling up your backside because some guy who was active last year hasn't done his safety briefing for this month?

If the answer is "no," then you're good. Its not like that guy is draining off valuable resources.

We've had these kinds of members on our books in the 35+ years I've been a member.

Sure, it would be better to actively engage these people, but some people are long time members and wish to remain members even if their personal situation doesn't allow them to be active at the moment.  Folks who have been on the books for centuries and you never see them, well, they're still financial supporters of the organization, right?

Shuffling people off into a "holding squadron" just to make your books look pretty isn't helping things either, and isn't likely to promote the re-engagement of that member.

I'm expected to push my members to complete their Lvl1, Yeager, PD, get involved in ES at least at a basic level of a 101 card, and set expectations that everyone pulls their weight at the unit. That's at the tip of my fingers as I type, and I'm sure I could come up with more. Having 100 members is no good, if only 20 are active or do anything.

Fubar

Quote from: Eclipse on October 14, 2016, 06:55:00 PM
What dues are those?  I would hazard most units don't charge dues, and you certainly can't collect
money from people who never show up, don't respond to or do not provide contact information.

Every unit I've been attached to had dues to help keep the lights on, AC/heat going, and other related expenses to running a squadron. Each of those units had people who sent in their yearly squadron dues even though we never saw them.

etodd

Quote from: Fubar on October 15, 2016, 12:40:24 PM

Every unit I've been attached to had dues to help keep the lights on, AC/heat going, and other related expenses to running a squadron. Each of those units had people who sent in their yearly squadron dues even though we never saw them.

Another reason they keep sending checks ..... to show their CAP membership as current and longstanding on their resumes, LinkedIn, etc.
"Don't try to explain it, just bow your head
Breathe in, breathe out, move on ..."

SARDOC

Back when I was a squadron commander, if I had members that were out of touch...didn't respond to messages, calls, didn't meet the monthly safety requirement (when that was still a thing).  I changed their status to patron. 

As a Patron member, they didn't count against my safety numbers and they couldn't just show up at the occasional SAREX...or fly in the CAP planes with friends for currency...etc.