A new take on continuity books...

Started by Holding Pattern, September 02, 2015, 08:55:44 AM

Holding Pattern

In another effort to have IT augment the performance of all, I present to you:

The continuity book, Trello style!

Link to the greatest continuity book ever!

Ok, so it might not be the greatest... but that is why I need feedback!

The idea behind this is to make a template that a trainee could immediately step into and have a very good idea of exactly what is going on and what they need to do to pick up from where the last person left off. Ideally, it would be used during the mentoring process to ease a person into the position, but as we all know, sometimes life doesn't hand us the ideal circumstance.

If you can help me perfect this generalized template, I can use that to create specialty track specific templates, and from there every interested squadron would then be able to replicate this board by linking their google app account to trello and a few mouse clicks.

As it is completed and adopted in my squadron (or not) I will update this thread to report on its progress.

jdh

Here is how I lay mine out, I will give you the exact ToC for my Operations Binder.
First page is a reminder to make sure that the binder stays updated with a checksheet and spaces for initials and dates for checks/updates.
ToC is the second page which reads as follows. (items in () are a description of what falls in the area and are not on the ToC)
1. Officers of the Operations Section (Organization Chart with all of the officers that fall under Operations, then one page of job descriptions for each officer)
2. CAPP 211
3. CAPP 212
4. CAPP 213
5. CAPP 214
6. Alert Rosters and Alerting Procedures (Unit Alert Roster, ES team rosters, 100% recall procedure, team activation procedures)
7. Unit SOPs
8. Directives (any directive that comes down from higher command that is related to operations)
9. CAPR 60-1
10. CAPR 60-3
11. CAPR 62-1
12. CAPR 62-2
13. CAPR 66-1
14. CAPR 100-1
15. CAPP 52-7
16. CAPF 5
17. CAPF 9
18. CAPF 71
19. CAPF 91
20. CAPF 99
21. CAPF 104
22. CAPF 107

Each Staff position in the squadron has binder that follows the same general flow but are adjusted to the position. The study guides change to the ones needed in that section, the officer of the section changes to meet the section, the regs change to the ones that are pertinent, etc.

And now that I have been appointed the PD officer as well as my other positions I am really glad I put these binders together when I first joined the squadron.

dwb

Never thought of using Trello. It's an interesting concept. I advocate for using OneNote, Evernote, or cloud document storage services like Google Drive.

http://vawg.cap.gov/continuity-files/

Eaker Guy

Quote from: dwb on September 02, 2015, 06:58:13 PM
Never thought of using Trello. It's an interesting concept. I advocate for using OneNote, Evernote, or cloud document storage services like Google Drive.

http://vawg.cap.gov/continuity-files/

I concur. Especially Google Drive.

EDIT: Lt. Col Brodsky, thanks for the link to the VA Wing website. I'm in the process of putting together a continuity book myself, and will be following this thread and its suggestion/idea closely.

Eaker Guy

Here's what I have in mine. It's in an old fashioned binder though. :( Paper, yuck!

For C/CC:

Cadet Staff Handbook :)
Cadet Drill Guide :)
Respect On Display :)
Chapters 3 & 4 of CAPR 52-16 :) :)
Part IV of CAPR 20-1 :) :)
Chapters 4 & 5 of AFMAN 36-2203 :) :) :)
A few CAPF 50s for each phase :) :) :)
Cadet contact information
Cadet Staff Organizational Chart
My C/CC SDA, once approved
Any local polices

Note, items in bold are not yet in the book yet.

Any questions, ideas, critiques, scathing criticisms are welcome. To follow the technological trend we seem to be seeing, I might lay everything out on Google Drive and send a link to access to my staff so they have access to the same resources I do. However, the binder stays with me and my deputy. No one else touches it!

To Starfleet Auxiliary,

I hope I didn't hijack your thread. I apologize if I did.  :)

Eaker Guy

Starfleet Auxiliary,

Maybe you could separate CAP Pamphlets, Regulations, Manuals, and Forms? That way you are not digging around in a combined "folder."

+1 on the newsletters and meeting minutes.

+1 on the plans.

+1 on the goals

Actually, +1 on everything else. I don't think there is much you can change at all.

+1 on the effort to do this! My former C/CC showed up to the meeting yesterday and I showed him the binder I had made up. He had always wanted to do one but never got around to it. I'm glad that I will be the first C/CC in a long while to lend an extra helping hand when I leave the squadron. Kudos to you.

Holding Pattern

I'm going to build out the Cadet Commander Binder now based on that feedback.

Holding Pattern

Hrm. User friendliness test failed on multiple links for regs, pamphlets, and forms. The internal layout looks like a mess.

I'm going to see what an attached google document will do for the usability of the system.

Holding Pattern

Cleaner solution is applied. Take a fast glance at that.

Eaker Guy

Quote from: Starfleet Auxiliary on September 03, 2015, 11:12:40 AM
I'm going to build out the Cadet Commander Binder now based on that feedback.

Seriously?